Maidens 'Killers' album - on Bass

Welsh Phantom

Ancient Mariner
Hi guys,

After posting the debut album, I thought my covers of the 2nd album on bass might be interesting to fellow musicians.

Once again, I used my Fender Steve Harris signature Precision bass.

Any comments are welcome.

Enjoy!
2.png

The Ides Of March

Wrathchild

Murders In The Rue Morgue

Another Life

Genghis Khan

Last edited:
Excellent job mate. You really have the three-finger technique down. I'd love to see more of your work soon! :bigsmile:

Thanks very much for watching mate. ;)

It's actually only 2 fingers on the plucking hand....my 3rd finger just happens to move in unison with my 2nd finger. All of my covers use just 2 fingers .

I am nearly done learning the Beast album (1 song to go) so I will record that very soon :)

I've just had a good time watching Genghis Khan and Purgatory. What a speed and dexterity! I wonder if these songs are among the ones that are more difficult than the average Maiden number?

What do you think @Welsh Phantom ?

Although I'm not as good as Welsh Phantom, as a guy who plays the bass I can say that the fast/furious middle part of Genghis Khan (starting at 0:59) is very hard to play. The rest of the stuff on the song aren't that tough.

Purgatory doesn't look like chickenshit either. Perhaps with these two songs we're dealing with some of the fastest bass work (when it comes to alternating notes) of the catalogue.

I haven't played Purgatory but it definitely has one of the most furious rhythm sections in the band's catalogue, so yeah, it's probably pretty damn hard.

I've just had a good time watching Genghis Khan and Purgatory. What a speed and dexterity! I wonder if these songs are among the ones that are more difficult than the average Maiden number?

What do you think @Welsh Phantom ?

Hi Foro,

Thanks for watching ;)

The difficulty all depends on the player I suppose. For me, the left hand dexterity isn't really an issue, as I have been playing for a long time. With Maiden stuff, the real issue is right hand speed. I have never really played gallops and machine gun type sections before, so stuff like Purgatory, or Run To The Hills (which is actually very straightforward....but fast!) are more difficult to me than something like Genghis Khan in the fancy part, or even Rush's YYZ. I am currently getting up to speed with RTTH (not there yet!) so find it too hard, but I am sure in a short while I will think it is easy once I have got the stamina for the gallop. I am sure Caught somewhere in Time would trip me up at the moment for the same reason, but once I have RTTH up to speed, CSIT should fall in to place.

Of course, someone who has practiced the gallop would find RTTH easy, but something like Phantom or Innocent Exile much more difficult.

Of course, someone who has practiced the gallop would find RTTH easy, but something like Phantom or Innocent Exile much more difficult.

I can approve of this claim. I can play both Run to the Hills and Caught Somewhere in Time with ease (with two fingers), but I struggle with parts that require left hand dexterity.

I can approve of this claim. I can play both Run to the Hills and Caught Somewhere in Time with ease (with two fingers), but I struggle with parts that require left hand dexterity.

Well The Flash is known for speed!

I can't wait until my gallop is at yours and Harris' speed. Years of playing my own stuff really pushed my left hand, so I was quite surprised when I tried learning RTTH. I first played it about 3 weeks ago, and it's definately improving, but I run out of juice by the 1st chorus. 3 weeks ago it was a mess though!

Back