Maiden songs that AREN'T in the key of E natural minor

Babo 91

Nomad
It seems like most of the maiden songs I have learnt or are learning are in the key of e minor for either the whole song or most of it. The only songs that i have learnt that aren't in that key are LOTLDR, isle of avalon and Number of the beast.

Kepp in mind that I have not looked at the music for the majority of their songs but i wanted to know if this is a reccuring theme and if so why ?

From the top of my head, these are the songs that aren't based from top to bottom on E minor. As there are loads of variations on the songs, even on the E minor songs there are places in the song which switches to other tonalities and never get back to its original key. People here in the forum with more theorical knowledge than I have (mine is really empirical) can correct what's wrong and fill what's missing:

Burning Ambition
Iron Maiden
Invasion
Murders In The Rue Morgue
Another Life
Genghis Khan
Innocent Exile
Prodigal Son
Purgatory
Drifter
Twilight Zone
Invaders (starts in E, main riff is in A, bridge in B major, chorus in Eb)
The Prisoner
The Number Of The Beast
Run To The Hills
Gangland (modulates to A)
Total Eclipse
Revelations
Flight Of Icarus
Die With Your Boots On
Still Life
Sun And Steel
To Tame A Land (lot of variations)
Aces High
2 Minutes To Midnight
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
Flash Of The Blade
Back In The Village
Powerslave
Sea Of Madness (modulates to A, then B on the solo)
Heaven Can Wait
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner (similar case to Aces High)
Déjà-Vu
Sheriff Of Huddersfield
Infinite Dreams (modulates a lot, too)
Can I Play With Madness
The Prophecy
The Clairvoyant
Only The Good Die Young
Tailgunner
The Assassin
Hooks In You
Mother Russia
Be Quick Or Be Dead
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Childhood's End
The Fugitive
The Apparition
Judas Be My Guide
Weekend Warrior
Fear Of The Dark
Lord Of The Flies
Man On The Edge
The Aftermath
Judgement Of Heaven
2 A.M.
The Unbeliever (some odd harmonies)
Justice Of The Peace (modulates a lot)
Judgement Day
The Angel And The Gambler
Lightning Strikes Twice
The Clansman
When Two Worlds Collide
Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
Como Estais Amigos
Ghost Of The Navigator
Brave New World
Dream Of Mirrors
The Fallen Angel (modulates on the solo)
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
Wildest Dreams
Rainmaker
No More Lies
Montségur (modulates to major tones on the second chorus)
Gates Of Tomorrow
New Frontier
Paschendale (modulates a lot)
Age Of Innocence (an odd harmony)
Journeyman
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns (starts in E, but has some variations)
The Legacy
El Dorado (stats in E, then goes C# on the bridge and G on the chorus, A on Smith's solo, E on Dave's solos and B on Jan's solo)
Mother Of Mercy
The Alchemist
Isle Of Avalon (E major, then E augmented then A on the intro, but the main chords of the song are in E minor)
Starblind (has lots of variations like E to G on the second chorus, D, F, then D on the melody after Jan's solo)
The Talisman
The Man Who Would Be King (has variation to E major)

I see you have included many songs where significant parts of the song are in E minor. On Powerslave, for example, the chorus is in E minor.

If you are going to mention every song that has parts in another key, there won't be many left. There are not that many songs that stay in the same key from start to finish. However, if we first care to characterize a song by its key, I think it is most convenient to sort it by its most prominent key.

...and Jan doesn't play solo on Starblind. It's Smith, Smith, Murray, Smith, Smith.

Jeffmetal said:
That's exactly what I explained on the beginning of my post.

Well, by listing all those songs I guess you at least get a point across to Babo 91 - the majority of Maiden songs are actually not stuck in E minor. So I see the point of doing it your way  :)

Zare said:
...and Jan doesn't play solo on Starblind. It's Smith, Smith, Murray, Smith, Smith.

I'm not so sure. My take on it:

07) Starblind (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) - 7:48
-Adrian Smith - 1:59/2:11
-Adrian Smith - 2:33/2:53
-Adrian Smith - 3:04/3:37
-Adrian Smith - 4:14/4:44
-Dave Murray - 4:43/4:53
-Janick Gers - 4:53/5:04
-Adrian Smith - 5:47/6:33

Thanks for clearing that up guys it was just that i was starting to learn maiden songs like wasted years, the trooper, hallowed be thy name, blood brothers and the wicker man an then i realised that allo these songs were in e minor.

I also think its murray on starblind not janick. The descending notes at the end sound like jan but them clean flowing notes just before it sounds like dave. Never heard janick play like that.

Back