Maiden biggest audience ever

A

Anonymous

I've read that Rio 2001 was their biggest audience ever: 250.000 people in the crowd.

But in the Rock in Rio 1985 they played for 350.000 people.

Is there any link for this issue?  I'm curious about that.

I posted this somewhere else already, but whatever...

Maiden did not play in front of 250,000 people at Rock In Rio in 2001. The full capacity of the venue was 250,000, but "only" 150,000 were actually allowed in for safety reasons (Bruce even stated that in an interview, I'm not sure where to find it). If you pay attention during the DVD, you will notice there's quite a bit of space at the back.

Furthermore, even if the capacity of the 1985 Rock In Rio venue was 350,000, and even if that many people showed up, it is -at least for this issue- important to note that Maiden were not the headlining band. Headliners of that festival were Queen, so it is very likely that most people came to see Queen, not Iron Maiden -unlike in 2001, when Maiden actually were headlining.

Perun said:
it is -at least for this issue- important to note that Maiden were not the headlining band. Headliners of that festival were Queen, so it is very likely that most people came to see Queen, not Iron Maiden...
I entirely disagree. If the question is "what is the largest audience that Maiden has played for", then their position on the bill is irrelevant. The only relevant issue is the number of people there.

Your point may be relevant, in the sense that perhaps the audience was not at full capacity for Maiden's show - but do we know that? For a festival like Rock In Rio, I would think many people would show up early to catch all the bands.

Furthermore, if the capacity of the venue was 350,000, then it would only have to be 43% full to exceed 150,000, and therefore more than RIR 2001.

Thus, while the answer may be technically unknown, I find it very likely that RIR 1985 was their biggest audience.

Perun said:
I posted this somewhere else already, but whatever...

Maiden did not play in front of 250,000 people at Rock In Rio in 2001. The full capacity of the venue was 250,000, but "only" 150,000 were actually allowed in for safety reasons (Bruce even stated that in an interview, I'm not sure where to find it). If you pay attention during the DVD, you will notice there's quite a bit of space at the back.

Furthermore, even if the capacity of the 1985 Rock In Rio venue was 350,000, and even if that many people showed up, it is -at least for this issue- important to note that Maiden were not the headlining band. Headliners of that festival were Queen, so it is very likely that most people came to see Queen, not Iron Maiden -unlike in 2001, when Maiden actually were headlining.

I am really curious about the sources, Perun (and/or other people).

There are two things which are hard to imagine at the moment:
1--> Rock in Rio 1985 a capacity of 350.000?
2--> Rock and Rio 2001 -- a maximum audience of 150.000?

If Bruce has stated this 2nd point himself, then I am very disappointed in him, since he stated 200.000 or 250.000 in hundreds of other interviews. Also it has been said very often (by the band) that Rio 2001 was their biggest gig to date, speaking about audience figures.

While the answer may be technically unknown, I find it very likely that RIR 2001 was their biggest audience, since most sources point this out.

Well, I live in Brazil and I think I can explain better. RIR 1 had around 200.000 to 250.000 people and don't forget that Maiden wasn't so popular here at that time yet they were fucking good and performing their best (that's my opinion) but they were not the headliners. The 2nd RIR had around 150.000 and this time they were headlining so, every single person who was there waiting from 11:00 AM until 12:00 noon (when the gig began) was a Maiden fan. So, the 2nd RIR was their greatest audience for sure.
Sorry, not greatest, biggest. Every audience is great!

jeffbrun said:
Well, I live in Brazil and I think I can explain better. RIR 1 had around 200.000 to 250.000 people and don't forget that Maiden wasn't so popular here at that time yet they were fucking good and performing their best (that's my opinion) but they were not the headliners. The 2nd RIR had around 150.000 and this time they were headlining so, every single person who was there waiting from 11:00 AM until 12:00 noon (when the gig began) was a Maiden fan. So, the 2nd RIR was their greatest audience for sure.
Sorry, not greatest, biggest. Every audience is great!

hi jeff, I'm brazilian too but i have to disagree with you.

the fact that they were headliners or not in 1985 is not important, IMO, because they played right before QUEEN who stated that Rock'n Rio was their biggest audience, so Maiden too. I don't believe that 100.000 people entered the arena just before the Queen started playing. It's unbelievable.
If I'm right about who played right before Queen, I believe I'm right.

You mentioned "2nd RIR". I believe Maiden didn't played in the 2nd, that occured in 1991. Maiden played in the 3rd Rock'n Rion in 2001.

Finally I believe that we will never know the real number since the promoters and the band have the habit of over estimate this numbers.

Hi! You're right. I forgot there was a RIR in 1991. As for the audience in 1985, of course there were thousands of people to see Maiden but most of them were there to see Queen. But let's not make a WWIII because of this issue! It's just different ways to see the same thing. I wasn't there and all that I said about is based upon what I think. And I may be wrong.

Back