Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Was that the official explanation then? Oh the irony! It was exactly the same down here in Hampshire. And I had booked the day off work months in advance so I could go to the park at the top of the hill to watch the eclipse, and it was so overcast I couldn't even be sure where the sun was!

Also I had purchased five solar viewers for the occasion, and left the other four at work in case anyone wanted to sneak out to the car park and have a look. One of them came back to me the next day with a post-it attached which said "They were SO good I missed it! LOL!"
:(
I was supposed to be helping with a school group taking weather observations during the eclipse. It definitely got colder and darker, but the clouds just sat there. ::)

I happened to be on holiday in Kent during the '99 eclipse, and it was fortunately all sunny and visible. I also saw the partial eclipse recently in Berlin. I remember being impressed mostly in the darkness that suddenly fell, and to this day, I ponder on the feelings people must have had about this in more superstitious times.

Couldn't see this one. Next total solar eclipse that can be seen from Serbia is in 2081. Think I can make it.

I happened to be on holiday in Kent during the '99 eclipse, and it was fortunately all sunny and visible. I also saw the partial eclipse recently in Berlin. I remember being impressed mostly in the darkness that suddenly fell, and to this day, I ponder on the feelings people must have had about this in more superstitious times.

Thank you for reminding me of this. I didn't ponder anything special, I just thought it was cool and short.

I was in Nottinghamshire for the '99 eclipse - it didn't go total there but it got very close, down to a very thin crescent. I went outside for a walk and it was striking how dark it had become. Also I remember everything being tinged with blue, almost like moonlight. A nice clear day that time.

I was on top of a hill in West Yorkshire for the '99 one, and it was hazy but easy to see the sun. Or not.

Back