Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I suspect part of the reason Ariana Grande's shows have been cancelled is that she's in a state of shock herself and doesn't feel capable of performing.

Maiden have Eddie though, so we'll be fine.

They were playing shows in December 2015, a few weeks after the attack, but they must have been shaken-up very badly after that night.

Aye, the differences are obvious; I just maybe expected it to be on the main site, that's all.

EDIT: On present UK coverage. Not sure if I'm particularly comfortable with this "show of force" we've seen today. What is the purpose in this? e.g. random army guys in camouflage clothing. All it seems to be doing is ratcheting up the tension. I'm sure it's perfectly necessary, but the media just appears to be providing the usual threadbare gloss-coverage full of stock-phrases, etc. Perhaps I should stop watching the BBC.

Last edited:
I meant it more generally. When the authorities in a terrorism-stricken city/country put a lot more security personnel out on the streets, it is to show that they are capable of taking action, not because they have actual intelligence saying another attack is imminent.

I mean, the London Metropolitan Police will put more police around the O2 now not because there are actual threats against the upcoming Maiden shows, but because it is expected of them.

Some of the anti-Muslim backlash on social media has been more aggressive than ever. Plus I think they're genuinely concerned that there could be other nutters out there with bombs, including whoever built the last bomb. Seven arrests within the UK now, in Manchester, Wigan and Nuneaton, and the suspect's father and brother have been found in Libya and arrested. I don't think we can apply IRA type logic to terrorists like this. The act of killing and maiming itself, and causing outrage and grief, seems to be the major motivation, rather than causing panic and disruption.

I'm only speaking anecdotally, but I don't encounter many people who actively seem to support seeing all this security; sure, people want & expect security to be stepped up, but beyond that I'm not so sure. All this security visibility only serves (to me) to stoke up tension in the wider public. I'm not saying the media should ignore what the police are doing, but up to a point I think the security service should be allowed to quietly go about their work. I just find the coverage, as usual, slightly troubling.

Yeah, the sight of armed police and soldiers is unnerving if you're not used to it. I'm fairly used to seeing armed police around Crown Courts, and it was reassuring having them about when there were members of drugs gangs on trial who were known for randomly shooting at each other in the street and making threats to kill witnesses. The tone taken on social media, including by people I know, has been chilling, though. They're demanding very strong action, and dropping hints but not spelling out exactly what.

Last night at the pub quiz night I host, teams started buying me shots. Quiz is 2 hours long and I already had a glass of bourbon waiting for me. This was the order:

- Fireball (why?)
- Jameson (yay!)
- water (thanks!)
- Tequila + Cholula hot sauce (WTF?)
- Malort (I hate my life)
- Jagermeister (PLZ STAHP)

Back