Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Apparently we're going to get Thundersnow. One of the most metal weather conditions, along with Raining Blood.

Crazy snowstorm here. Had to walk in the opposite direction of the wind for 10 minutes, had to look down the entire time.

The best song this line up has recorded. And they even haven't bothered to put it on the album. The album version doesn't hoid a candle to it.

I think it's really ruined by those extra vocals. Good decision to ditch it.

I would have preferred some sort of middle ground between the two. The overdubs add something to the repeat-one-line-four-times chorus but the harmonies are too intense and could have been lowered in volume.

I like the brightness the thin guitar sound brings on that song, fits the feel of the song pretty well imo.

Listening to that guitar track, it's very interesting how imprecise the track is. A lot of mumbling and sound jams. Works very well somehow.

It's really the solo proper I was referring to. It's also not played that well when you hear it on it's own; those runs are very poorly picked or fingered, or both.

Well, it comes down to how clean of a playing style a guitarist has. I've heard other solos by Adrian that don't sound quite precise when you listen to the isolated track (Wasted Years was one, I think). H's style in this regard is like day and night compared to, say, Petrucci. In the end, the imperfections are hard to notice in the final mix.

Adrian's style is very fiery. The imperfections are a part of it.

The same imperfection issue is also present with Steve's bass playing. His isolated tracks sound sloppy as hell, but sound great in the mix.

Am I wrong in saying that Maiden never record to click tracks? Isn't that a thing? If so: it perfectly explains "sloppiness" in isolated tracks considering they are playing along to whatever the drummer is doing.

I'm not talking about timing; it is indeed unfair to judge that based on isolated tracks. But poor picking & mis-steps during runs is just poor technique. It doesn't mean it doesn't sound good in the mix, but it would sound better if it was, well, played better.

Yeah, I can definitely hear that on some of those runs. However, as Flash said: that's what makes Maiden who they are. They don't play perfect, they don't sync up every hit and pick note by painstakingly tracking over and over again - they get it to sound alive and say, "That's it." I can't help but feel that a great deal of Maiden's emotional power and energy would be wiped away if every recording was played perfectly.

Also, Adrian Smith does not play sloppy notes, he plays exactly what the song needs because he has spiritually analyzed the song in every known and unknown dimension before pressing record.

Back