Leave the metal for the grownups

The Saint

Powerslave
Staff member
The Young Ones
The old school rules for our teenage correspondent, even if Rob Halford is old enough to be his mom.

by High School Johnny Allison - August 4, 2005

In 2001, Guitar One magazine voted Limp Bizkit the worst band of the year. This news came as a bit of a surprise to fans of Florida's finest new-metal export- but not to me.
For fans of the band, the question was: How could a band who just that previous year had been topping the charts and selling millions of albums worldwide suddenly be the standard for a lame band? It didn't make sense.

Was it singer Fred Durst's fondness for false stories of celebrity hookups?

Nope.

It was because the new wave of rock and metal bands simply doesn't live up to a quality of excellence and talent that the kids deserve--that kids need.

And the kids are finally catching on. Catching on to the fact that Sugarcult is no Black Sabbath; Zwan is no Zeppelin. The young people are discovering the righteous hard rock and metal of yore, putting aside Korn's crud and replacing it with AC/DC and Queen. They're digging up their parents' turntable and buying the old albums (on vinyl, no less).

Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath headline Ozzfest tours and the crowds they draw truly span the generations. In talking with fans and concertgoers, there's no doubt but that many, if not most, attend the festival simply to see the classics, and could care less about the new bands.

At the July 17 Ozzfest in Hartford, the crowd was filled with teens and preteens wearing Iron Maiden t-shirts, and you really had to search to find shirts celebrating new acts like Shadows Fall or Mudvayne.

Those bands, in fact, were reduced to psyching up the crowd by asking if they were ready to be rocked by Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath.

Of course we were!

Whenever a classic rock band hits the road, there is always some kid who's just heard of them and will be anxious to catch the show. Only then do they realize that the stuff that's been shoved at them by the major labels pales in comparison to the classic stuff.

And the classic bands are happy to oblige the kids. Kiss has rolled out its latest summer tour, just as Mötley Crüe hit the road in support of the new Crüe anthology, generating enough interest that they played a sold-out show at Madison Square Garden. AC/DC released the Stiff Upper Lip album in 2000 and is currently producing another. This year's Angel of Retribution finds metal pioneers Judas Priest at the top of their game. From Def Leppard to Deep Purple, these band never die, even if they do lose the occasional limb.

Before Iron Maiden bid farewell in Hartford, they assured the crowd that they're not getting old and are working on yet another album to follow 2003's highly successful Dance of Death, which hit stores in fall 2003.

As for Limp Bizkit, perhaps it's not too late for them to grow out their hair, throw on some leather pants, and make some music that's as essential as the classics.

On second thought, how about you just throw in the towel, Fred, and leave the metal to the grownups.

[a href=\'http://newhavenadvocate.com/gbase/Music/content?oid=oid:121239\' target=\'_blank\']http://newhavenadvocate.com/gbase/Music/co...?oid=oid:121239[/a]

Cheers

I went to this show when I was visiting a friend in Deleware. I was really surprised at the number of younger people wearing Maiden T's. Compared to the west coast of the U.S., Maiden in the east coast is about as popular as the latest They Might Be Giants album... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] or so it seems...

I remember this question from somewhere, it was: Which of these has better musical ability: Fred Durst or a blender? Good article by the way.

I am 15 and hate the nu-metal movement. the turntables and c-rapping is cheesy as bands like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park pretend to be rockers, but turn out to be no more than primadonna posers. This is why I started to get into Maiden around 2002. They have classics that Fred Durst can only dream about in one of his drug induced comas.

[!--QuoteBegin-conorsdaman@hotmail.com+Aug 10 2005, 10:06 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(conorsdaman@hotmail.com @ Aug 10 2005, 10:06 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I am 15 and hate the nu-metal movement. the turntables and c-rapping is cheesy as bands like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park pretend to be rockers, but turn out to be no more than primadonna posers.  This is why I started to get into Maiden around 2002. They have classics that Fred Durst can only dream about in one of his drug induced comas.
[snapback]114772[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Good for you! I felt I had to escape that crap as well and so the Maiden and the Priest came to the rescue (as well as the more underground bands that I started exploring after I got into good metal). What I find ironic is that when I mention bands I enjoy like Emperor, Immortal, Iced Earth and the likes to other people, they usually say "If they're so brilliant, why aren't they famous?" [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

alot of people still don't get the fact,that just because a artist/band is famous,doesn't mean thier talented. at the same time not all talented bands are famous. glad to hear more and more youngsters are getting into classic bands such as maiden,and led zeppelin [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

If it was written in stone that album sales automatically equalled good music then who knows how much the music world would be wrecked up. The public just buys whatever corporate bigwigs push on to them because they are too lazy to go out find real music.

Another teenage Ozzfest attendee checking in, in this case in WA. For the most part it seemed that there was a good mix betwen appreciation for some of the better newer bands like Mastodon, Rob Zombie, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, etc. and fans of the older bands, but ultimately the biggest crowd response by far was for Iron Maiden, who were excellent, and Black Sabbath, who were incredible, perhaps because Ozzy wasn't dying from the heat. Still, I think that there is far too much generalization in the distaste for newer metal. I mean, I love Maiden as much as anyone, but there are new bands that are doing great things now, and nu-metal is thankfully dying, replaced by metalcore, which is at least good when done well (Killswitch Engage immediately comes to mind).

Back