Language topic

Perhaps the amount of different s sounds in Polish is too much for Cyrillic (a.o. historical reasons). :)

The reason is actually pretty simple. Polish, among other western Slavic languages, got fixed to writing by Catholic missionaries, who used the Roman script. All those Slavic languages using the Cyrillic script in past and present were fixed by Orthodox missionaries, who developed the Cyrillic script specifically for this purpose of being able to write the Bible in what is now called Old Church Slavonic, but is historically a predecessor of modern Bulgarian. One of the large historical differences between Catholicism and Orthodoxy is that Orthodoxy had no qualms about using local languages for liturgy. That's why there are distinctly Greek, Bulgarian and Russian Orthodox churches, who all had their own translations of the Bible and used their languages in church.The Catholics on the other hand were adamant about using Latin until a rabid antisemite called Martin Luther came about, and Catholicism has always been much stronger bonded to Rome (Latin) than Orthodoxy ever was to Constantinople (Greek).

I read this on wikipedia:

With Christianity, Poland also adopted the Latin alphabet, which made it possible to write down Polish, until then existing only as a spoken language.

There is also glagolitic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glagolitic_script

It was the official script of Croat nobility in middle ages, clergy used it right up to 20th century for masses and processions. Also keep in mind that a lot of this actual country, as is today, wasn't under "Croat" administration up until recently. For instance, my city is older than two millenia. In middle ages it was a free city and switched allegiances all the time. A few times favoring Croat/Hungarian king but that's about it until 1848 when parliament in Zagreb puts a official claim on Dalmatia and Dalmatia actually gets together with the rest of Croatia in 1918. Almost 1500 years of Latin rule, then a brief French period, followed by Austrian governance right to the end of WW1.

...obviously Cyrillic wasn't a historical option here.

Google doesn't know what you're saying, therefore you're fake news. J/k my glagolytic is rusty. On the other hand...

d6hmasfjE4ntf577VGNyMYh5t5DlpF_hizSQnTuBW_M.jpg

Lazy, druže Zare. Could have used the link you posted yourself.
I was asking if that city of yours is Zadar, fond memories of Dalmatia.

Lazy indeed :) You're almost correct, the city is Split, close to and historically tied with Zadar. I guess there was a bit of ambiguity on my part there. You probably had vacationed in Zadar? The city lost so much in WW2, complete Venetian/Austrian style promenade buildings bombed to ash and never restored. It is the only settlement in Dalmatia larger than 40.000 people that doesn't have proper UNESCO site, and that's due to it being essentially destroyed back then.

After the 2013 Maiden gig in Zagreb my wife and I stayed there for another day and then went to Dalmatia. We'd found some place in Donja Murvica which was rather convenient - spending the days in the Nin / Vir direction and the evenings in Zadar. One of the best vacations I've had.

Hmm, I looked it up and "two flies with one blow" is most popular here, although I've always said and heard people say "seven flies with one blow". "Kill/hit" is often omitted.

Wtf Poland, all that time on the Adriatic and you never heard of gradele

tuna.JPG

Out of interest, I wonder if the expression's origin lies in killing pests or hunting for food? I always thought it was about hunting, but unless half of Europe eats flies, maybe not. Poland is reassuringly thinking about food.

Hmm, I looked it up and "two flies with one blow" is most popular here, although I've always said and heard people say "seven flies with one blow". "Kill/hit" is often omitted.

Like the fairy tale of the brave tailor! lol. I can still hear Mickey Mouse, "I killed seven of one blow!" hahahaha

Out of interest, I wonder if the expression's origin lies in killing pests or hunting for food? I always thought it was about hunting, but unless half of Europe eats flies, maybe not. Poland is reassuringly thinking about food.
Random acts of senseless violence, I presume.

A question targeted at native speakers of English, but everyone else is welcome to throw in their two cents. Would you ask "How many mashed potatoes do we have left?" or "How much mashed potatoes do we have left?" We have a domestic argument.

I would also say "how much" but would refer to the singular potato rather than the plural potatoes as 'mashed potato' is a dish itself. I've never heard anyone referred to a quantity of mashed potatoes.

What about potato mash, wouldn't it make more sense to say that?

Back