Killers...

A

Anonymous

OK, my "Maiden Japan"-Deep Purple theory seems to have some sort fo substance, but this one is probably much rather wishful thinking.
We all know Killers was released in 1981, almost two years after a defining live album of that era by the definite live band of that era, Queen, was released. It's name: "Live Killers".
Somewhere I saw a bootleg from a Killers World Tour gig named "Live Killers", at which I could not help but smile.
But it did raise the thought. After all, Queen had their influence on the world of Heavy Metal; you cannot deny this. Queen were the first ones to have a really theatrical stage show (for example, they were the first to use mist on stage), and Maiden were one of the bands who most happily adopted this.
As I pointed out in the "Maiden Japan" thread, Maiden did play a medley of "We Will Rock You" by Queen and Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water" during the Di'Anno era, and I believe the recording I have comes from the "Killers" tour.
So, could it be, in your eyes, that the title "Killers" might be a reference to Queen's "Live Killers" album, and therefore a Queen reference?

Some notes about the "Live Killers" album: It was released in 1979 and was Queen's first official live album. The name is perhaps combined from the song "Killer Queen" and the fact that Queen were, indeed, killers on the stage. Everybody I talked to who went to a Queen concert told me that they were the best live band they'd ever seen. On video, you can see this on the fairly common "We Will Rock You" video from 1982.
Unfortunately, the album itself does not do them justice. The best song is missing ("Somebody To Love", which was performed on that tour), the sound quality is worse than on some bootlegs I have, and the individual songs are sometimes taken from two or more concerts- policy as you also know it from Maiden.
The unfortunate thing about Queen is that "Live Killers" is, along with the heavily edited and incredibly rare "Live At The Rainbow" video and the rather pathetic "Live At The Beep" album, the only official live document of Queen during the seventies. For some strange reason, they later released 3 (three) albums from one tour (Magic Tour), which was, perhaps their greatest triumph, but can become really boring when it's the only thing you get. Rumours about a release of the Knebworth gig on DVD are spreading. Yes, this was Queen's last gig with Freddie, but most of the interesting material has already been released on "Live Magic". Please, not yet another Magic gig.
Sorry, that was all I'm gonna say about Queen (as you can tell, I can talk for hours).

Interesting but very unlike to be true.

As farther as I know Maiden never mentioned Queen as a real influence......... But, who knows ? [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Maiden never mentioned it officially, but it is clear that without Queen, Maiden, and Metal in general, wouldn't be what they are.

By the way, Bruce sang "Bohemian Rhapsody" together with Montserrat Caballé. To me, that is proof that at least Bruce has a high opinion on them.

Queen has surely made a big influence on heavy metal - almost all power-metal choruses sound Queen-ish.

I'm very glad many people appreciate this fact, because a lot of people I've been trying to tell this thought I was nuts. I think they're nuts, though, because they neither know very much of Queen, nor very much Heavy Metal.

Back