Kevin Shirley : I'm Happy We Decided Against Mastering New IRON MAIDEN Album

ELH

Prowler
Producer Kevin Shirley (IRON MAIDEN, DREAM THEATER) has posted the following message on his official web site:

"Got my copy of the new IRON MAIDEN album ['A Matter of Life and Death'] — well, a reference disc — and took off early this morning in my car to check it out, top down on an uncrowded ocean highway, and I must say, I'm pretty happy we (well, Steve [Harris], really) decided against using the mastering! I dig it! For all the little extra hi-fi nuances they add in mastering, the raw attack and bite of the original mixes is quite refreshing to hear! It is EXACTLY as I mixed them in the studio, EXACTLY what the guys in the band heard! In the mastering process, the mastering engineer sometimes takes it upon himself to be creative, say to add certain frequencies which boost vocals or the bass, which makes the balance between the kick and bass guitar change, and on many occasions I've got a mastered CD back, and then have been unhappy — but usually blame myself! Even when we mastered this album (which we didn't use), it had a little analog compression added, which brings the guitars up a tiny bit, and knocks the transients off the snare drum, thus diluting the attack and impact of the snare. Now what you'll hear on the MAIDEN album is the way it sounded in the studio, and while it may not be as loud as some other CDs, who gives a fuck! Turn the volume up then... My three fave tracks are 'Longest Day', 'For the Greater Good Of God' and 'Lord Of Light' — although that may well change tomorrow!"

"A Matter of Life and Death" is scheduled for release in North America on September 5 via Sanctuary.

I'm Happy We Decided Against Mastering New IRON MAIDEN Album

Sounds great.

I can't wait to hear 'The Longest Day' and 'Lord of Light'!

I actually agree with him about that new "live" sound ; but I still don't know if it's the best for the vocals. But again, who cares about the small details..  ;)

SpitrifeXI, did it ever occur to you that the version of the songs that we listen to now is very poor quality compared to the CD that Kevin is listening to?  I am sure that when we hear the CD, we will be blown over by the production if it is still good at such a low setting currently ;)

Conor said:
SpitrifeXI, did it ever occur to you that the version of the songs that we listen to now is very poor quality compared to the CD that Kevin is listening to?  I am sure that when we hear the CD, we will be blown over by the production if it is still good at such a low setting currently ;)

Actually, the rips we've listened to thus far sound pretty similar to most of the other mp3's I've heard released from bands...I doubt that there's a significant difference between the mp3 version and the CD one, although there may be some levelling difference, if the band is willing to release so many songs so early...

This is prolly the best news about the album's production...

Mastering these days ruins the quality of the music.  It compresses everything to make it as loud as possible; thus, all the dynamic range is gone (witness DoD, and in particular Wildest Dreams).  It's a nice thought to know whatever's on the CD is what the band and Shirley agreed on.

I just hope the guitars are spread out at least as much as on DoD, if not more.  On that note, I do hope they release a DVD Audio version of this album as well.  In fact I hope that in the future all IM albums get released in 5.1 - that would be great.

While I'm sure that the quality of the CD is better than these mp3s, but I don't know if they will make Bruce singing better.  ;)
As I said, I'm not really bothered by the vocals... they have a raw sound so I like them !  ^_^

ELH said:
"A Matter of Life and Death" is scheduled for release in North America on September 5 via Sanctuary.

Poor, poor North Americans. The release date I've got on my pre-order is August 30th (was 28th a week ago though, maybe their delaying?)

Anomica said:
Poor, poor North Americans. The release date I've got on my pre-order is August 30th (was 28th a week ago though, maybe their delaying?)

At least, they're lucky enough to preorder the deluxe cd for 14.99$ shipped with first class postage :) (less than 12 EUR, that would be unbelievable here in Italy :( )

Back