Judas Priest

It'll be interesting to see how the industry handles the end of the big bands.
As far as the industry is concerned, there will never be an end. We'll get ever repeating stories in classic rock mags, and countless reissues of classic albums. Zillion articles with (over)focus on The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, The Number of the Beast, Paranoid, In Rock, 2112, Screaming for Vengeance and Alive. Nice to keep old bands alive like this, but I have always problems with the overshadowing effect on other output. In the media that is, the current diehard fans know better. But how will future generations look back, in a time of quick consumption?

Well, there are many new Iron Maiden standing up at the moment. When they die, the debut album will easily be over 100 years old. ;)
But indeed, these are the people who live and witness the band now. If the band ends in let's say 2020, people who've never heard of the band in e.g. 2035 might only read the odd article in classic rock and might see an album called The Number of the Beast in their media lists (or shops if these are still around ;) ).
I am not sure if they'd find out more about this band, compared to how we behave now.

I don't know if I'm right or wrong in thinking this but to me.... it seems that more teenagers today just grow into satisfyingly consuming mainstream music. More than the teenagers of say the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s who perhaps (?) had more counter culture music to dig into and feel a part of....

I'm probably wrong but I just don't really see that many 15-16-17 years old with their own taste in music anymore...

Yea..I'm not really sure where that's coming from. Especially with the internet, music is so much more readily available that I'm constantly seeing kids with all kinds of weird tastes.

How many popular songs from a century ago can you name? I don't know any. Most music passes away with living memory.

To be honest, the recording industry as we know it hasn't existed for that long. A lot of folk tunes of unknown origin survives from way back - some are blues and pop standards, and you may not even know it. Hymns too. Thinking of the pop music that's been recorded since rock as a genre evolved and comparing it to older music is sort of misleading. Classical music survives because of the institutions passing on the knowledge. But give a work of Mozart to someone who has no idea of how classical European music sound like, and you'd probably end up with a very different sounding piece. Recordings solves all that. We don't need the institutions to pass the songs on to the same extent anymore.

I don't know if I'm right or wrong in thinking this but to me.... it seems that more teenagers today just grow into satisfyingly consuming mainstream music. More than the teenagers of say the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s who perhaps (?) ...

How old are you? No offense, but you might have some wrong impressions about the past generations.

It's natural to get into mainstream music. The earliest music I remember is from local top 40 radio. I grew up with Casey Kasem's Top 40 as a weekly ritual. Then it was MTV. I was entirely a pop music fan until 1985; my favorite band of all-time at that point was Hall & Oates.

Bought my first Maiden at age 14 'cos the cover was badass. That's how it happens. :shred:

To be honest, the recording industry as we know it hasn't existed for that long.

Yes; it was, at that time, growing to replace the once-huge sheet music market. Before recording, sheet music publishers had the power in the industry that we today associate with record labels. Billboard Magazine was founded to track sheet music sales, not records.

It's also why it was very common for 19th-Century Europeans to be able to play some musical instrument. If you wanted music, you usually had to make it yourself. And today that is reflected in the populace... I don't have figures, but I'd wager a higher % of Europeans than Americans play some instrument, because Europe has had that tradition for a few centuries.

Yes; it was, at that time, growing to replace the once-huge sheet music market. Before recording, sheet music publishers had the power in the industry that we today associate with record labels. Billboard Magazine was founded to track sheet music sales, not records.

It's also why it was very common for 18th-Century Europeans to be able to play some musical instrument. If you wanted music, you usually had to make it yourself. And today that is reflected in the populace... I don't have figures, but I'd wager a higher % of Europeans than Americans play some instrument, because Europe has had that tradition for a few centuries.

And that further exemplifies my point that you'd have to be in on that sound, the tradition the song came from to be able to perform it. If that tradition goes out of popularity, no one will be able to tell you how the song should sound. It's just a few notes on a paper. With recorded music, you can give a group of musicians a track from whenever, and they both hear how it sounded originally and recreate the song to the best of their ability - if they even need that, why not just listen? It's all there.

Thus, I argue, recorded music has a completely different chance of surviving - and not only as a piece in some archive, but actually remain in some form of popularity. Yes, I agree tastes will change and we already feel a lot of 60's, 70's, and 80's music sound dated to our ears, but that's to be expected.

Yea..I'm not really sure where that's coming from. Especially with the internet, music is so much more readily available that I'm constantly seeing kids with all kinds of weird tastes.

True true, it's probably not the case at all (and thank god for that!), I was just thinking out loud :)

Here an old interview from 1977! (probably the oldest any of us have seen): @SixesAlltheway check the Purple connection (Glover gets mentioned a couple of times, also near the end). :--)

new:
What's with that fake (Priest) music. Turn it off, I can't hear what the man is saying.

Last edited:
Just came back from Priest. Richie and Scott were the best. Kind of sad to have missed Tipton in his prime but it was still a rockin' concert.

I saw Priest on the Painkiller tour 2nd row right in front of Tipton He looked bored to tears! He was standing in one spot playing his solos chewing gum looking like someone was auditing him.
Then...I also saw Priest on the Demolition tour (last one with Ripper) front row center stage and Tipton was the exact opposite and was smiling and in a great festive mood. However, Ripper & Downing both looked angry and I don't think once smiled.

Stu Block's Halford voice, eh? He really does have a talent for copying other people's vocal styles.

Back