JUDAS PRIEST ALBUM RANKING GAME: #6 REVEALED

Can’t believe no one has mentioned how awesome Death Row is. I really like that song. This album may not have many fans, but I still think it’s quite strong. Better than Demolition, Angel, and Nostradamus at least.

Can’t believe no one has mentioned how awesome Death Row is. I really like that song. This album may not have many fans, but I still think it’s quite strong. Better than Demolition, Angel, and Nostradamus at least.
I quite agree that 'Jugulator' is better than 'Nostradamus' and 'Demolition' (for this second album, there are pro and cons).:ok: But better than 'Angel Of Retribution', seriously ? :blink:

There isn't a single Ripper album I would take over any Halford album. Those albums just miss way too many of the characteristics that I associate with the band. The riffing style, the lyrical content, the mood. Even Rocka Rolla sounds more identifiably Priest.
This perfectly sums it up.

Like it not, pretty much every band's sound boils down to the contributions of one person and without that person, that band is simply not the same. For Priest, it's Halford.

I just find Angel to drag on for far too long. And the band doesn’t sound very inspired. I’ll take Priest minus Halford with some vigor versus Priest with Halford just going through the motions (which is how Angel sounds to me).

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15: Point of Entry
16: Jugulator
17: Demolition
18: Rocka Rolla

Highest Score: 12 (@Sth2112)
Lowest Score: 2 (@Yax )

To me, Point of Entry is the sort of epitome of a "mid" album. It's not terrible by any means, but it lacks that sort of special kick that I associate with the classic Priest albums. It sits in an awkward position in the discography, following up the legendary British Steel and proceeding the juggernaut Screaming For Vengeance (not to mention Defenders of the Faith coming soon after). It feels like a weird diversion for the band and I always felt that the band saw an opportunity in America and really went for that AOR sound. Big choruses, safe mid tempo songs, that kind of thing. It reminds me of many American hard rock albums from that period that were well produced but just kinda lacked the edge that you get from the European bands. The other thing I found myself noticing with this album is that its best songs (namely Heading Out to the Highway and Desert Plains) feel slow and lack the energy found in the live recordings.

This all shows up in the rating spread for Point of Entry. Most people rated the album toward the lower middle of the discography. While nobody scored the album last, nobody gave it a high score either (other than @Sth2112 ). In fact, both Ripper albums had more people awarding high scores than this album, although enough people also rated the Ripper albums last to prevent Point of Entry from falling below either of those. It was close though.

I might sound kinda negative on the album, but I actually don't think it necessarily deserves to be as low as it is. For one, I would take it over at least Nostradamus. I also think it far surpasses the Ripper albums. Even without a single standout song, it never dips to the low level of quality that both Ripper albums more or less exist in. There isn't a single bad song on the album, although You Say Yes is pretty mindnumbing. Just hearing the riffs, driving beats, and Halford's more convincing vocal style is enough for this album to be a more enjoyable listen.

Overall, Point of Entry is pretty standard FM rock. I won't even say it does that sound better than the artists it's trying to ape, but it also doesn't contain anything offensive which automatically keeps makes it stronger than at least more than one other Priest albums. Still, for me, it's albums like Point of Entry that also makes Priest's discography more uneven than many other bands. There just isn't a lot to go back to here, even in its best moments.

Point Of Entry is not a bad album, but it's not a memorable one either. It's an enjoyable listen for sure and I didn't ranked it that low. An album with an overall mid-tempo approach that just exists in the band's discography. They tried to write the previous album again, playing it safe, but with an even more commercial approach. It didn't work out. Still, because of Priest's style, the album has its qualities with riffs, rhythm or hooks.

The album contains 2 classic gems - Heading Out To The Highway and Desert Plains. Great quality of the riffs, melodies/solos, verses and choruses. The former should have had proper solos in the studio version like live though.

Other nice songs are Hot Rockin' (typical 80's rocker, like the chorus of Don't Go), Turning Circles (with its mood and breakdown) and maybe Troubleshooter for the hard rock feel. Solar Angels is not one of my favorites, but it's an interesting and unique song for the album with its type of vocals and heavy riff. The rest of the songs are (really) weak material for the band (especially You Say Yes!).

Overall not an album that was expected or should have followed British Steel. The next album perfected the approach they were aiming with this album. I think this album would have been more interesting (made more of a impression) if half of it was rock and the other half more heavier stuff like Solar Angel's riff. Combining like Maiden in the early 90's, but not to such an extent in their case. POE is definitely one of Priest's most 80's albums.

“Heading Out To The Highway”, “Desert Plains”, and “Solar Angels” justify this album’s existence. “Desert Plains” in particular. But no, Point Of Entry is in no way superior to Nostradamus…

Point of Entry is such a nothing record. If you turn it on and tune it out, you’ll have a pleasant enough listening experience, I guess, but it’s biggest sin is being incredibly boring.

Heading Out to the Highway is great fun and Desert Plains is awesome, but both still fall short of being 10/10.

You Say Yes is a candidate for all time worst Priest song (with Halford) and All The Way isn’t much better.

One positive: I think the record sounds great. A lot of this is due to the sparse instrumentation, but it still has a really great mix and clarity of tone.

This dropped only 1/10th of a point this go around, for a 5.1/10.

Point of Entry is such a nothing record. If you turn it on and tune it out, you’ll have a pleasant enough listening experience, I guess, but it’s biggest sin is being incredibly boring.

Heading Out to the Highway is great fun and Desert Plains is awesome, but both still fall short of being 10/10.

You Say Yes is a candidate for all time worst Priest song (with Halford) and All The Way isn’t much better.

One positive: I think the record sounds great. A lot of this is due to the sparse instrumentation, but it still has a really great mix and clarity of tone.

This dropped only 1/10th of a point this go around, for a 5.1/10.
If it wasn't for a couple of songs on Redeemer and Rocka Rolla (the latter is not a fair comparison though, as they primarily are blues tunes and require a different standard of assessment), I'd echo that.

I wouldn't say boring for the most part because it's fun, more like uninteresting like some of their 70's songs for me.

I agree with both. This is the first album on the list with good production.
As a big AOR guy, it always sounds more awesome "in theory" for rock and metal bands I like to do AOR stuff. Priest going AOR should be right up my alley, but this album does indeed fall short.
This.

I find Point of entry better than the two last 80’s albums, but dissapointingly compared to the rest of the 80’s albums. The production is excellent, and Halford sounds amazing. The songs Heading out the highway, Solar angels, Desert plains are among their best. Hot rockin’ and Don’t go are pretty good. Turning circles, on the runand troubleshooter are okay, but the last two are poor.

I have nostalgic feelings for the album as well. Having a few cold beers during the early mornings of hot summer nights, being 20 years old, having no worries in life, listening to this album.

15. Point of Entry
16. Redeemer of Souls

17. Angel of Retribution
18. Demolition

16. Redeemer of Souls
Main reason for its low position: this album's highlights are not that awesome. Remove "that". The best songs are not fantastic or even great. Perhaps I should have given this album more listenings when it first came out and in the years afterwards. Perhaps some of the music would have grown somewhat if I did. Or not. Now when I revisit the album, the moments of "yeah" or "wow" are virtually non present. Then again, I appreciate how they experimented in several songs, and the calm atmospheric moments of this album are pretty good. There are not really memorable choruses on this album and there's a number of rather generic (and not that catchy) riffing going on. I do dig the chorus in Down in Flames. While the production is not the most important thing to me, it does not hurt saying this is probably the least well produced album Priest ever did. It all sounds rather dry, the drums do not sound good as well.

15. Point of Entry
Hmm, I was planning to put this one higher than the one that has become 14, but decided against it at the last moment.
The doubts about the position originated from the few songs I've grown attached to over the years. I've especially got a lot of nostalgic feelings for Desert Plains. This studio version of this song is just beautiful. The combination of the constant insistent drum pattern by Dave Holland, that well glued bass by Ian Hill on top and these wonderful vocal melodies and guitar sounds. Love it. There's a tension, as if going towards the unknown. That uncomfortable powerful feeling is also present in Blood Red Skies. Very striking. Heading Out to the Highway is one of the coolest live songs by Priest. And a great song for the highway indeed! The guitar harmony is stellar. Solar Angels is a fine track and the bridge in Hot Rockin' is worth mentioning as well. Unfortunately the rest is rather simple rock with the occasional change and a couple of good moments. It's not unlistenable, it's even amusing, but the problem is that the material doesn't grab that much. I think they really wanted to strip down their music, and went a bit too far in the process.

Last edited:
Sword of Damacles was a highlight of the Wembley gig for me, much moreso than Painkiller.
Maybe it was the authenticity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about that Foro, I edited his post.

Yea guys let’s keep tour/new album talk in the appropriate thread. This thread is specifically for talking about the past albums, although I understand someone might want to talk about a song being played currently but let’s keep those in spoilers if it comes up.

15. Point of Entry

It's not unlistenable, it's even amusing, but the problem is that the material doesn't grab that much. I think they really wanted to strip down their music, and went a bit too far in the process.
I don't think they intended to strip down their music further than British Steel per se, which was already both quite simplified and simultaneously hardened, but were taken by the success of British Steel and attempted to repeat the success it had with no less than three hit singles. It's just that Point of Entry is nowhere as good as a whole, nor are the hits better singles than Living after Midnight and Breaking the law were at the time (now they are so overplayed it's difficult to appreciate them on their original merits at times).

Back