1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jazz?

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Yax, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

OK didn't realize you were talking about the 60s albums specifically. I was just thinking about what he recorded before the technology came about.

That aside, I like to go for speakers when listening to Jazz. I guess it really comes down to the equipment you have and the quality of stereo mixing.

2. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Thanks for the tip @Deus! I love such boxes not only for the music but also for the liner notes. I still hope to find the Elvin Jones mosaic box as well. I do own the McCoy Tyner one.

I have a couple of other (more simple) Max Roach boxes and some separate albums.

Am I right in saying that these albums are covered by the box you are talking about? Please add or remove so that I can see which albums I miss at the moment.

His work with Cllifford Brown and/or Sonny Rollins is at least as (or even more imo) essential:

Brown:
    Rollins:

Deus_Adrian likes this.
  3. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Yeah, but what about Cubano Chant? Too much Latin? Not serious enough?
    I think the intro in the first version is very clever rhythmically.

Anyways, that's some more avantgarde stuff I like, Tim Berne, New York school around John Zorn. I like this album:

And, of course, Steve Coleman. I enjoy this album:

If you're looking for more 'kind-of-coming-from-the-old-school', one of the most important drummers is missing in your drummers list: Jack DeJohnette. He's one of the greats, up there with Tony and Elvin.

Deus_Adrian likes this.
  4. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Some really incredible drumming from Elvin, especially at the end.

Forostar likes this.
  5. Deus_Adrian

Deus_Adrian Prince of the Final Frontier

Ive see Jack up pretty close.

The best. Bar none.

jazz from hell likes this.
  6. Forostar

7. Forostar

If all goes well I'll go to a Jazz festival in July with McCoy Tyner, Wayne Shorter, Tomasz Stańko and Enrico Rava (on the same day)!
    :dancinggeek:

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  8. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Who you going to see?

9. Forostar

All! There is one stage.

10. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

11. jazz from hell

@4:45: Check out the duel (in 7/4) between sax/piano! And those drums @Forostar.:)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    JudasMyGuide likes this.
  12. jazz from hell

13. jazz from hell

Ok, I've never been to neither LA nor Denver. Mintzer is a real good 'lead player' and I would've liked to hear that clinic. But from my perspective, the Yellowjackets were always more Ferrante (piano) and Haslip (bass)'s band,
    C'mon they're awesome above here ^. Intricate composition, Ferrante being a hero, Will and Haslip (and Ferrante!) being cool with a hell of rhythms. :)

14. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

15. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

16. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

17. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

Indeed. In fact, with SD it's absolutely essential to get some background info for pretty much everything. "When you put me on the Wolverine up to Annandale" - especially nowadays when the train Wolverine does not go to neither New York or Annandale, the song only gets more and more esoteric. :D

18. jazz from hell

What is Do It Again about, in your opinion?