1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jazz?

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Yax, Apr 5, 2009.

1. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

John Coltrane - Africa/Brass
    V interesting, cool Album with 2 Basses.

Edit: And recorded by Rudy van Gelder.

2. Deus_Adrian

Deus_Adrian Prince of the Final Frontier

Interesting. Who was #4??

3. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Someone who did not use a Gretch drum kit. I'll see if I can find it. It could be Roy Haynes.
    edit: damn, hard to find!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  4. Deus_Adrian

Deus_Adrian Prince of the Final Frontier

I was thinking Buddy Rich.

5. Forostar

Could be.

6. jazz from hell

Nah, Buddy Rich isn't as highly regarded as the other ones (in those circles).

7. Forostar

8. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Some more Turkish jazz for y'all

9. Forostar

10. Forostar

11. jazz from hell

What's your favorite Coltrane stuff?

12. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I really like the stuff he did under Atlantic. His Impulse material can be perfect when I'm in the right mood.

13. Forostar

Hard to point out one period, label or album. If I am forced to pick one label it's gotta be Impulse, which includes his best works with the Classic Quartet.

Shall we try to mention 10 John Coltrane albums we (might) like the most? I am hesitating, because there are so many. ;)

14. jazz from hell

How about a top 3?

1 A Love Supreme
    2 Africa/Brass
    3 My Favorite Things

Forostar likes this.
  15. Forostar

Alright. Not sure if I could do that. I feel that a bigger list would do this great man more justice. What did you choose from? Purely "his" albums? Have you heard them all (I haven't just yet)? We could also do albums with Coltrane on it.

What a great legacy:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Coltrane_discography

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  16. Mosh

1 My Favorite Things
    2 Giant Steps
    3 Interstellar Space

If we're including albums where he's a sideman, Milestones would probably replace Interstellar Space. That album is awesome.

I like Love Supreme but it never quite clicked with me the way it has for most people.

I need to listen to more Coltrane though. I've heard his "classics", some of his later stuff, and most of what he did with Miles Davis.

Forostar likes this.
  17. jazz from hell

I haven't listened to all his albums. But the top 3 list was easy: no justice to the man, just my taste, Coltrane as a leader or otherwise. Like Foro, I gravitate towards the stuff between the early and mid 60s. Giant Steps is impressive, but I prefer the moodier, more modal stuff. A Love Supreme is perhaps my favorite Jazz album, although it transcends 'Jazz'. Coltrane's very late stuff is too much noise for me, maybe I should try harder. Why do you like Interstellar Space, Mosh, because of the rhythms?

BTW If you're interested in Coltrane, you *must* read Lewis Porter's book -- it's about the best book about any musician imo.

18. Mosh

Pretty much. The interplay between Coltrane and Rashied Ali is really fantastic. The drum playing is intense but also dynamic. I can't think of many albums that feature just tenor sax and drum set, so that was a plus too. The themes are also kinda hidden but show Coltrane's usual harmonic style. Something like Jupiter is melodically not that far from A Love Supreme imo.
    But it also helped me understand what free jazz is all about. It's obtuse, but not at the level of obtuseness you'd get with, for example, Ornette Coleman. Jazz is a verbal musical style, improvisation is like a conversation. Free jazz takes out all other elements of Jazz leaving just the conversational element. I didn't understand that until listening to Interstellar Space. Before that it seemed more like cacophony.

19. Forostar

He is on more than 100 albums. For me Crescent and Sun Ship would probably rank in the top 10. Do you do guys know these two albums? Also his work with Monk is interesting.

A Love Supreme would be in my top 10 as well. At some point it gets so intense and still very musical, not too frantic for my taste as in some of his later work. That bass work by Garrison! Pretty cool.

Some nice stuff in the fifties as well e.g. with Mal Waldron, Tadd Dameron, Wilbur Harden or Paul Chambers, to name some.

From his own Prestige albums I rate Coltrane, Lush Life, Dakar and Bahia the highest, I think.

His 1961-1965 live albums are all musthaves imo.

The albums that he (co-)led that I haven't heard yet:

Studio:
    The Avant Garde (co-leader Don Cherry). Recorded in 1960.
    Cosmic Music. Recorded in 1966 and 1968.
    Stellar Regions. Recorded in 1967.
    Expression. Recorded in 1967.

Live:
    1966-05-28 Live at the Village Vanguard Again! Pharoah Sanders, Alice Coltrane, Jimmy Garrison, Rashied Ali, Emanuel Rahim
    1966-07-11, 1966-07-22 Live in Japan Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Jimmy Garrison, Rashied Ali
    1966-07-22 Concert in Japan Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Jimmy Garrison, Rashied Ali
    1966-11-11 Offering: Live at Temple University Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Sonny Johnson, Rashied Ali
    1967-04-23 The Olatunji Concert: The Last Live Recording Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Jimmy Garrison, Rashied Ali

And a couple of Pablo Records live albums.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  20. Forostar

The interplay by Elvin and Coltrane, now that's interplay. I am not very impressed by Ali's drumming. It sounds like he is messing around on his own, and I hardly hear rhythm. The Interstellar Space album, I can appreciate it for being original. But it's not very musical to me. At least it is not so cacaphonic as in other 1966-1967 work I heard. That stuff lost all subtlety. I miss the driving rhythms but also Coltrane's playing is like a battle between him and Sanders. Who can make the loudest and most annoying noises. A monotone mess, with lots of missing colours.