Janick joining Maiden

There are moments when certain instruments are turned down

This is especially audible when you listen to first songs on soundboard based bootlegs, as sound techs are getting levels right. It might not be so noticable when you're in the pit and you get smashed by wall of sound. On RiR'14 bootleg vocal channel was down in the mix throughout first song, and drums began sounding normal only half way through the show (middle part of ATSS).

Being on this topic, I'd like Maiden to cut down number of shows for following tours and really invest into a single show experience, akin to Pink Floyd. This mixing issues we're talking about would be non-existent if they really prepared every show two/three days in advance, not just jump in and out. IMHO.

I can imagine Janick doing much less complicated stuff when he's doing the particularly silly clowning around, but I'm pretty sure he's playing throughout the show.

This is something different, though. A live gig gets mixed from the sound desk. There are moments when certain instruments are turned down in favour of others, and not everything has the same volume at all time. For example, a guitar will be at lower volume during a verse while Bruce is singing and then be put in the centre of the mix during a solo. However, each musician gets his own monitor so he can hear what he's playing, and this has nothing to do with the sound mix the audience gets to hear. That's a perfectly normal procedure for any gig and any band and has nothing to do with a systematic policy of "turning Janick down" as has been suggested.

Right. Quite normal.
I was just pointing it out though as some had mentioned that if he were really playing while jumping around you would hear much more string scratches and dead notes.
I am sure he saves some of his more acrobatic stuff for segments when his guitar isn't going to be in the forefront of the mix.
These guys know the score. They know who is going to be louder or softer at set points of the show.

Being on this topic, I'd like Maiden to cut down number of shows for following tours and really invest into a single show experience, akin to Pink Floyd. This mixing issues we're talking about would be non-existent if they really prepared every show two/three days in advance, not just jump in and out. IMHO.

I don't think it would help. And the last thing I want are less shows. Then I'll never get to see them.
The whole tour was a mess, sound-wise. Ever since they got the new sound guy, things haven't been the same.
They either need to get someone better, or bring back someone who knows what they are doing.

To be fair, whoever they have is an ace engineer. Or he wouldn't have gotten the gig. But when you have Doug Hall for 35 years, whoever comes next just isn't going to be as integrated with the band's sound as the predecessor.

It must have been hard for the band to go trough their first lineup change since 1982. I think the periods I struggle most with is 2010-2011, 2015-2017 and 1990-1992, an era strongly associated with Janick. Two albums that I rank in the bottom together with Book of Souls and The Final Frontier, plus a bunch of live albums that didnt work for me. I always liked The X Factor and Virtual XI, top 5 albums in my book. Janick first proved himself as a member of Iron Maiden with his song writing contributions for The X Factor.

Janick first proved himself as a member of Iron Maiden with his song writing contributions for The X Factor.
And even before: he is the one who wrote the music of "Be Quick Or Be Dead", which charted at N°2 (second best score ever for an Iron Maiden single).

I don't measure a good Maiden contribution in terms of how well it charted. The X Factor is one of my favorites because I like it, regardless what you, the charts or anyone else say :)

I don't measure a good Maiden contribution in terms of how well it charted. The X Factor is one of my favorites because I like it, regardless what you, the charts or anyone else say :)

Agreed. According to the charts, Bring Your Daughter ... To The Slaughter is the best Maiden song ever. And there are at least three-four songs that are better :innocent:

It sucks. Wasted Years is the most popular Maiden single and it should've been #1. Judging that by opinions of non-metal people, and by general view count on their official YT. Before the HD reupload the video had about 50 million views which was more views than other singles combined. Even with HD reupload from two years ago where view counts are reset, it's approaching 15M now.

It sucks. Wasted Years is the most popular Maiden single and it should've been #1. Judging that by opinions of non-metal people, and by general view count on their official YT. Before the HD reupload the video had about 50 million views which was more views than other singles combined. Even with HD reupload from two years ago where view counts are reset, it's approaching 15M now.

It seems only natural that their most obvious pop song is the most popular song with the general public :) It's very interesting that they played Wasted Years again on Janick's third tour. Most have been controversial..

Last edited:
In the early 90s I bought the vhs live at donnington 92. I remember being offended by Janick's interpretation of Adrian's solos.

I hated the way the band pretended in interviews at the time like Adrian didn't exsist, Steve even saying he was more of a rhythm player & Janick was a true lead player!

In 95 I made sure I stood on Dave's side of the stage.

Today I really enjoy Janicks contributions, his playing and his songwriting ability. I really like his playing on Bruce's album and pretty much everything he has done. Sorry for the bad start Janick!

For some reason Maiden didn't seen to care about technical ability when recruting new members in the 90's. It's like they thought they were invincible. The X Factor really forced them to return to their older concepts with the bigger production on the Virtual XI tour and then later of course by reuniting with Bruce and Adrian.

Jan has good technical abilities, his technique level was always at Ritchie Blackmore. His songwriting and approach to live play took some time to brush, tho.

Jan has good technical abilities, his technique level was always at Ritchie Blackmore. His songwriting and approach to live play took some time to brush, tho.

You can be technical in more ways than playing as many notes as possible. Not that Janick or Ritche do that. You are correct, I'm sure Gillan wouldn't have had him as his guitar player if his playing was not at the very least somewhat similar to Blackmore. In terms of song writing Maiden just couldn't reach those heights they did in the 80's. Then again, that might more have to do with popularity than song writing..

Last edited:
Yeah I see Janick as more a classic rock guitarist player than a metal guy, due to his previous bands like Gillan.

That said White Spirit were lumped in with the NWOHM bands too.

Back