It took Bruce 10 hours to record his vocals on "Matter of.." and ...

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
..read more in German if you like:

:)

»Der Gesang hat insgesamt, für das gesamte Album, nicht länger als zehn Stunden gedauert.«

Zehn Stunden für das gesamte Album???

»Genau. Zwei Stunden jeweils an fünf verschiedenen Tagen. 70 bis 80 Prozent der Vocals stammen aus den Live-Sessions mit der gesamten Band. Die Gitarren und der Bass ebenfalls. Und Nicko hat meiner Ansicht nach einen fantastischen Job als Drummer abgeliefert - nach gerade mal 15 Tagen im Proberaum. Drei Wochen lang haben wir komponiert, 15 Tage lang geprobt und 15 Tage aufgenommen.«

More at:  Source: RockHard --> http://www.rockhard.de/

I am not German, but I'll give it a try.:
------------

"The vocal recordings took, in total, no longer than 10 hours"

10 hours for the complete album???

"Exactly. 2 hours on 5 different days. 70 til 80 percent of the vocals are from live-sessions with the whole band. The guitars and the bass as well. And Nicko did, in my opinion, a fantastic job as a drummer - around 15 days in the rehearsal-room. 3 weeks we composed, 15 days rehearsed and 15 days recorded."

I must say that is quite uninteresting but thank you for translating anyway Forostar ;)

That's why Bruce's vocals sound too much 'live' on the album. I like the approach of recording everything live in the studio, but they should spend more time on the vocals. A studio album has to sound like a studio album to me - I almost can't listen to "Brighter than a Thousand Suns" because of the vocals. Interestingly, vocals in other tracks on the album sound fine. Especialy "Reincarnation..." - the vocals are loud, in front of all instruments, and Bruce's performance is outstanding.

I think the vocals sound great, in fact the entire band is in top form. I do however notice the keyboards a little bit more on this album. With three guitars, why would you need to fill anything with keys.

The keyboards add a different texture, subtle yet effective. At least I think so.

I think that is amazing.  Bruces vocals are incredible on the album (as well are the other members and the instruments they play), and for him to take only ten hours is incredible.  I've read it takes many singers an age to record their vocals (One article I read states that when Ozzy Osbourne would sing a song he sang one line at a time many times until he liked it when he was in Black Sabbath, so many of the songs had lyrics being sung throughout several hours and days.)  For it to be done in only 10 hours is amazing.

Back