Isle of Avalon

How good is Isle of Avalon on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Isle of Avalon

9/10! Fantastic song, not a huge fan of the post-chorus (or whatever that verse is). MOTHER EARTH!! Is great, so is the intro and great soloing. The last few minutes are great too.

This song is excellent, i've been waiting for SIT/SSOASS style prog tracks since ever, and now we have two of 'em on this very album  :shred:
It's one of those long tracks where you don't feel the length. It just flows perfectly, guitar interplay @ suspense parts is awesome, and so is inside solo section, where Janick just pulls up open chord out of nowhere while Dave is riffing the background and Adrian is soloing. 10

This is where the album really starts to get good. 10

It’s an amazing testament to the vitality of the band that it could come up with something so fresh-sounding 30 years into its career. A slow build with a hypnotic opening riff. Good chorus and pre-chorus and a middle section that would make Rush proud. There seems to be so much going on, but it’s also a tease — always seeming to promise more. One of the last songs to click for me on TFF, but I always knew it would. Right now, mark it with a bullet on my Maiden chart. Nine.

Zare said:
I'm sorry but that's absurd. You can't give 8 or 9 out of 10 for a song that you "don't know what to say about, it's good, haven't listened to it much".
There's an influx of high grades, i don't know why, do people thing others will see them as a less fan, if they grade lower?

This whole shebang is pointless if people are going to rate every good song with 8.
I haven't listened to it that much since it's only 10 months old. When I wrote that post, I was listening to it, and thought it was 8 or 9. I'll listen to it more and then decide.

I'm afraid 'Isle Of Avalon' is not my cup of tea. This one really bores me. That's why I will skip it. (4/10)

The song is perfect musically but is the only song from TFF that I don't like the vocals. Progressive, cool song. 9/10.

This song would make an excellent ad for a cell phone company.

"I can hear you, can you hear me?"

I can really see the mist when the intro plays. 10/10.

I really liked the preceding 2 songs on TFF but this is where the album really gets magical to my ears.  This song is a clear 10 for me.  I love the intro even if it is a retread of the mid section from Seventh Son.  Bruce sounds absolutely fantastic on this song.  The "I can hear you/can you hear me" "Mother Earth I can feel you" "Lost souls on the isle of the Dead" segments are some of Maiden's best moments.

But the real highlight of this song for me is the curveball the mid section throws at the listener.  I remember the first time I heard this song, I don't think a section quite threw me like this one since Ghost of the Navigator.  Simply brilliant in execution, in a very Maiden goes Rush way.

Great, great song.

Forostar said:
The most Rushiest song Maiden ever did (the rhythm preceding and during H's solo, and the solo itself as well, even). For a while this was my favourite of the album, but now I think I prefer the next one.

While I prefer Talisman to both Starblind and Avalon, agree 100% that this is the Rushiest song they've ever done. I didn't even think about it until Forostar mentioned it, and it's spot on. Great call.

This is a masterpiece. I wasn't so sure when I first heard it; although it was a 9 on first listen, it has grown on me even more. Some really sweet riffs and melodies in this one.

"Fertility mother goddess" was the line I thought dumb on first hearing; now I love that line and the way Bruce sings it.

10, of course. This is up there with Coming Home, only WTWWB is better on this album.

This gets a 10, not contest.  A fabulous epic song, a top 10 all time song for me.

mckindog said:
One of the last songs to click for me on TFF, but I always knew it would. Right now, mark it with a bullet on my Maiden chart.
Same here. Eight.

I love this song. If I had an all time top ten this would certainly be on it. Everything has been said here, and it is a great track. My favorite on the album. 10

It may sound creepy but I love Adrian Smith for writing this song, and adore Bruce and Steve for their assistance and lust after Dave for his sizzling solo and crave Janick for his proggy chords and lust after Nicko for his 4/5 beats.  Everything else has been said.  An epic that sit in my top ten Maiden songs, along with a tleast 5 others off their last two albums.

Now this song has always been a grower for me, but over the course of time I have started to really get into this song, love the atmospheric intro, lots of energy when it gets going, good performance from BD. 9/10. Might even be 10 some day.

9. When I heard the sample, the chords changing reminded me of the last section of Cathedral's The Voyage Of The Homeless Sapiens, and the harmony is pretty much the same. Adrian's come with more experimentation and it only adds to the Maiden library; I love everything about this tune, Bruce sings in godly manner, the guitars sound great and you can distinctly listen to each of the 3 working their parts. I love the keyboards layer during the "I hear her crying, the tears of an angel..." 'cos it adds a travel vibe to the song as if we're flying over the isle of Avalon. Instrumental breakdown is very much lilke in Paschendale and Dave's solo is wonderful, then comes one of the coolest thing in the Maiden catalogue, which is Adrian's almost free jazz/fusion improvisation over that weird 7/4 beat, he uses legatos without strumming which sounds amazing. This is Maiden doing their unique kind of epics, but with new tempers. Amazing!

Back