Isle of Avalon

How good is Isle of Avalon on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
ermmm .. from those diaries, it seems to me that in term of final mix of the album, besides Kevin as a producer, I felt that since the return of Bruce and H especially, Steve is getting hard time in making decision haha .. maybe during FOTD or Blaze years, Steve have the so-called "excecutive power" to do whatever he want on iron maiden albums those years! but anyway, I'm glad that they're mature enough to handle those stressful situation and it just happen only during "working environment" unlike what have been documented during the preparation of NPFTD!

p/s: again .. sorry for my terrible english

Cosmiceddie said:
God, I cannot believe how boring this song is.
My first thought after hearing this song was along the lines of your opinion; it didn't click for me. After a little while though, the song grew on me and is now one of my favourites off the album, and in their discography.

Revelations85 said:
My first thought after hearing this song was along the lines of your opinion; it didn't click for me. After a little while though, the song grew on me and is now one of my favourites off the album, and in their discography.

After the first listen i was majorly upset with this song but it quickly grew on me.

Fine song, although I found it boring at first it has grown on me. It's all about the little things for the first few minutes. It sounds like an awful lot of plodding, but there's plenty of little details here and there that caughts your attention if you bother to listen carefully. However, the song is pretty useless as a rocker. Sure, the chorus is rocking and brilliant, but it takes forever to get there, and I hope they don't play it live because it's bound to break the momentum of the gig.

LooseCannon said:
If this isn't about King Arthur, SMX will eat my hat.

Khm... :innocent:

Any progress with the analysis of the song, by the way? The best I came up with is that it's about someone searching for the Isle of the Dead, or someone's soul trying to get to the underworld. Don't know what corn dolls or Mother Goddesses have to do with it, though.

stannar_kvar said:
I really, really, love Murray's guitarsound in the first part of this song, it goes straight to my heart, it does =) (especially after the 2 minute mark)

Most of the clean intro part is Adrian....Dave and Jannick are accentuating it in sections. They are panned left and right and Adrian is kind of in the whole
spectrum.

For the sake of archiving:

For this album, Isle of Avalon was the 3rd song that was recorded, on January 12, 2010.

Probably my favourite from the TFF masterpiece, but not sure yet.

Must check out the Rush, or what you were talking about.

Daily Song: Isle of Avalon

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Isle of Avalon

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Almost.....there....so....close....

Easily the most progressive song in the Maiden catalog, this track tosses back to the 1970s and summons forth Geddy Lee to run interference for Steve Harris. A killer chorus overshadows the longer verses. This track screams "experimentation"! and it mostly works. 10/10. I've literally listened to this track over and over for six hours, finding something new each time.

Re: Daily Song: Isle of Avalon

The most Rushiest song Maiden ever did (the rhythm preceding and during H's solo, and the solo itself as well, even). For a while this was my favourite of the album, but now I think I prefer the next one.

That intro is so spellbinding, and an excellent display of what this band can do with three guitars. Great mix, really an awesome soundscape in which you can get lost with headphones. The bass playing, the use of atmospherical sounds, and the general feel remind me of the beginning of Samson's Walking Out On You from Head On (1980), a great album on which Bruce was the singer, and on which Steve co-wrote the basis for The Ides of March.

I sometimes dream this will be in Maiden's set.... what a moment that would be. Can you imagine the rush of blood through the veins when that intro kicks in?

I don't know what to say about this song. It's good, but I haven't really listened to it much, so I'll give my rating later, but it will probably be 8 or 9...

I'm sorry but that's absurd. You can't give 8 or 9 out of 10 for a song that you "don't know what to say about, it's good, haven't listened to it much".
There's an influx of high grades, i don't know why, do people thing others will see them as a less fan, if they grade lower?

This whole shebang is pointless if people are going to rate every good song with 8.

HEAVENLY GODLY!!!!11oneeleven

No, seriously, bass gallop, wicked guitars. Everything Maiden needs is right here...

10!

LooseCannon said:
Almost.....there....so....close....
Ironically, this sums up what I feel about this song. It's just so close to being perfect. I love the proggy feel. As I am not really into Rush, I am ignorant of the likeness to their stuff but it's worth a ten despite this - and the not so subtle Seventh Son likeness.

Back