Is The Iron Maiden Commentary not updated anymore?

pilau

Nomad
Personally, it's always been the authority when it comes to the information and details behind Maiden's work. It seems like it hasn't really been updated with new Maiden information since this month 6 years ago.

My impression is that the person behind it, Maverick, has quit maintaining this wonderful project. I have no idea who owns it or is responsible for it today.

Would making The Commentary into a community project something the owners/caretakers be willing to consider? I am sure in that case many forum members would love invest from their time to contribute.

Mav still owns it. The last I heard of him, he hasn't even listened to Book of Souls in its entirety. I know that he is very busy professionally right now, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's a shame that site has been left stagnant as it's full of great info. Perhaps Maverick should hand the site over to someone else to update. Didn't he take it over from someone previously?

Maverick had already left by the time I arrived, but it seems he has a bit of an approach-with-care personality.
Has someone for whom he has respect- maybe Loosey or Perun - ever approached him about his plans for the site?
I would hate to see the plug pulled one day simply because he doesn't care any more.

Might he consider selling it, and might the good folk of Maidenfans be interested in buying?

I think a commentary type website would work better as a community project, rather than being run by a single person. The IMC had elements of this but the dominating voice of the site was still Maverick. It's so out of date now and if he isn't planning on handing it over to someone else, I think it'd be a good idea to start a new site with more of a wiki style.

I have all the respect for Maverick in the world, and whether or not he chooses to pass the IMC on to someone, or whether or not he wants to let it die, that's up to him. After all the work he's put into the site, he deserves that choice.

That being said, if people want to make him an offer for the website, he deserves the choice to pick whether or not to earn a bit of money for the work he has put in.

Any reason this forum could not put up a wiki page and make it a community project? IMC is great but no reason it has to be the only word on this

Any reason this forum could not put up a wiki page and make it a community project? IMC is great but no reason it has to be the only word on this
This is the way to go IMO.

By now, there is a wiki with lots of Maiden info. Lots of tour info, discography info etc. The Commentary's strong point is the substance, the commentary on the songs. Linking things the way wiki works, might be of lesser importance. Wiki overtook the Commentary in that regard. Better focus on what is not done on other sites/platforms.

Agree with Foro here. The commentary/analysis was the interesting bit. Iron Maiden on Wikipedia already has everything else covered. We have plenty of members here who could write new interesting commentary for Book of Souls or we could do it as a community effort. it bothers me to see the Iron Maiden commentary incomplete :D

I disagree a bit, there is already a ton on Wikipeda, but it is lacking a bit and not completely accurate.

Add to that, Wiki is a better format ... with all the plugins, we could keep a rolling and up to date song ranking .. view history of edits, past versions, etc.

There is also not a Wikipedia page for each song

Something like this would be cool

Song Name (linked to album and vice versa)

Content

Generic description of song

Lyrics would be cool, but possible publishing problems

Links to interviews about that song

Live history of the song (linked to tours)

Solos

Commentary (lyrics)
Similar to IMC

Commentary (music)

Stuff like Dave sounded like he used an 'x' pedal, etc

Voting

----

Start with the songs and leave fillers for the albums and tours from now

But even on the albums/tours .. there is a lot more info out there .. much of it on the forum already that is not on Wikipedia

OK that's not a bad idea. There's also more customization options available for layout etc on a Wiki, like Wikia for example.

The customization is really cool as are the plugins.

Take song voting for example, right now we just have pick 1-10 ... for good reason, someone has to tally it all up

With a plugin, you could vote for lyrics, solos, rest of the music (non solo), how it sounds live (assuming it was played live) .. and overall

There is just a lot more that could be done ... in a perfect world, it would be taking what is in IMC and put it in wiki and build around that.

Exactly. It also wouldn't necessarily have to be a wiki, I'm just saying that te format would be a good starting point.

Yeah, there is other stuff out there beyond a wiki ... but something that allows for collaboration and has a good plugin set it key ... Wiki probably makes most sense as it is included with just about any hosting package, it easy to setup/maintain, has a large plugin base, and most people are familiar with it makes it probably the best candidate

This sort of thing would actually have more substance than the Commentary because it would involve input from more people. The actual commentaries on each song are mostly centered around the lyrics, very few songs have musical analysis (mostly from SMX). A new site could have that information on every single song, right down to who plays what solo and what guitars are used. Maybe common knowledge for some on Maidenfans but there isn't really any resource that has all that information collected in one easy to find place.

Maverick's site is great and as of now the definitive Iron Maiden site by far, but there are seriously so many possibilities to take his idea and make it bigger and better.

I can tell you that there have been high-level discussions about doing a lot of this. Much stuff was disrupted when SMX left in January, and not just Las Vegas plans.

I'm perfectly cool with the concept of creating a wiki but we have to consider that Maidenfans.com will need to drive ad revenue for the owner, which means the front page needs a rework as well.

Back