Is it me or does the Iron Maiden sound miss Martin Birch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LittleLuie said:
I was just wondering ,if there are any Iron Maiden fans  out there that think Martin Birch did a better job than Kevin Shirley,in the sound producing and engineering of Iron Maiden Albums?I've been an Iron Maiden fan since 1985,and have all of Iron Maiden's albums.I just think the sound quality is better on Powerslave and Piece of mind,than the newer albums?I remember listening to Iron Maiden on an old record player and the sound was great,I could here Steve Harris' bass playing and Dave Murray's guitar sounded great as well?Although I'm listening to Brave New World right now and it sounds pretty good.Is it me or not.Should I get another stereo system?By the way I have A Matter of Life and Death,and I'm still deciding if I like it or Love it.Bye,LittleLuie. 

i think you might have hit on something when you speak about what type of equipment you are listening on. I have POM on both vynl and cd and they do sound quite different. The guitars seem much more up front and in your face on the CD where the record seems to have a better balance. Perhaps its just me but records seem to have a little bit more of a natural sound, they way they were meant to sound.

My record player is a tube magnavox from 1960 which obviously is going to produce a different sound then a turntable from the 80's too.

____no5 said:
ok, lets make clear one thing firstly : Nigel Green never existed really, was the engineer during Birch era, and during the Blaze era he was following Steve's orders
Not really, he was the engineer on the first two albums that Birch produced for Maiden then nothing until The X Factor - and maybe he was just following orders from 'Arry, but at the end of the day he was still credited as been the co-producer. To the layman that suggests nothing of Green being the "yes man".

I'll agree that 'Arry has a very definite idea on how each album should sound, but I would hazard a guess this has been as such since the very early days (even with Birch at the controls). But this really is all supposition and as we don't really know exactly what goes on in the studio, we can't comment without ambiguity.

Anonymous said:
I've been an Iron Maiden fan since 1985,and have all of Iron Maiden's albums.I just think the sound quality is better on Powerslave and Piece of mind,than the newer albums

Yes I think Powerslave IS THE LAST ANALOG ALBUM.... I love analogue and I avoid ALL RECORDS THAT ARE DIGITALLY SOURCED as they sound like crap and I GET RECORDS for analog!!

But speaking in those terms.. I THINK POWERSLAVE is thier BEST album.... They go down the tubes after this with the use of synth crap and keyboards.....

This thread is a decade old and we have others about Birch, Shirley et al. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back