Iron Maiden

How good is Iron Maiden on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Love the intro riff, the song has a great drive, and fun lyrics. However, it is a little too repetitive for me, I can take a repetitive chorus, but going through the verse/chorus 3 times over wares on me. The production is very poor. 7/10

I've seen this song on two of the live shows that have aired on Palladia. It is okay and I feel an obligation to like it more than I do because they were bold enough to name a song after their band, on their debut self-titled album. Who does that? I don't know if I've seen it anywhere else haha.
The problem is it's only okay and certainly isn't a song to end an album on. They're supposed to be epic and wow you. This song seemed to lull most of the audience to sleep in the shows.

7/10

Here we have it, the song, from the album with the same name, by the band with the same name.
Its not that bad that many of you say, but its surely overplayed and I'm so tired of it! This song could use some trimming, as the vocals repeat over and over again. But I like the energy, and its an important song for the band for sure.

6/10

The intro has a very unusual harmony, as the guitars are playing slightly different melodies.
It sounds sinister, which works well for the subject matter, but that's really the only memorable part.
It's a bit dull overall, not worthy to be the band's eponymous song. I would be fine if this was finally dropped from the setlist.

6/10

2015 polls are open, yay!

As a song, this one isn't really special, nor is the production on the first album good. Biggest strike against it remains the early, unskilled writing. The seeds are there but haven't yet sprouted.

However, this one is always good live. Even when you know it's coming and you've seen it before, it's still good live after all these years.

5/10

It's a pretty cheesy song, but cheesy doesn't necessarily mean bad, and that's the case for this song. Another live staple, but unlike Running Free, it has a lot of energy even in the studio version. Still, a self-titled song in a self-titled album is a little excessive for me personally. A take like Hit The Lights from Metallica would have made this song stronger in my opinion.

5/10

RTC's Maiden Ranking:

1: Phantom Of The Opera
2: Remember Tomorrow
3: Transylvania
4: Strange World
5: Sanctuary
6: Prowler
7: Iron Maiden
8: Charlotte The Harlot
9: Running Free

Debut album done, will get around to Killers tomorrow hopefully.

Last edited:
Oh, dear...a song with the same name as the album by a band by the same name. I'm sensing confusion. Anyway, this is a true live classic. It's one of their main calling cards and having Eddie come out after the mid-section is always fun to see.

The studio version isn't as good, though. The mid-section is played much too fast for me to enjoy it here. One could also call it a bit repetitive but at least it's very catchy in its repetitiveness.

6/10.

6/10

The closing title track has become the most performed song in the band’s history. It’s a frenzy of a tune and I must applaud the band for writing a theme song that doesn’t contain lyrics like, “We’re Iron Maiden! Here to rock ya! We’re gonna rock you all night! Metal metal rock rock Maiden loud yeah yeah!” However, the lyrics and melodies are repetitive and tiresome. It’s a great set piece, but only an average song.

I still love the intro when the second guitar comes in and it has some nice rocking and/or rolling going on. But doesn't really stand out in any other way than being the title track. Hard to find anything special to say about it.
Woho, one record done!

Steve is a monster on this track. A fucking monster. His bass really drives here, and you can hear it. The riff is cool as hell for the first 20 seconds.

The lyrics are terrible, and while this is not the be-all and end all, it is just a little boring to hear the same thing three times in a row for absolutely no reason. I say that because this song could have verses and stuff. It just doesn't, whereas later Steve repetition often has a purpose. There are time changes just to have time changes, and a few other boring little twists. It's fun live, but I don't rank based on fun live.

It's a solid 4.

• Very nice opening riff, love the way Steve joins pulsating through as well.
  • The verses are boring.
  • The chorus just sounds weird, it sounds like someone shouting.
  • That opening riff turns out to be the saviour for the boring verses and the chorus by being repeated multiple times. The guitar harmony in the middle is cool, though.
4/10.

I for one love this song. Everything about it gets me going, when it's live, it's just brutal. Very melodic too. The lyrics are very poor, but it's hard for me to hate this song.

10/10 Blasphemous right?

Album ranking: 8.7
1. Phantom of the Opera 10/10
2. Remember Tomorrow 10/10
3. Iron Maiden 10/10
4. Strange World 9/10
5. Transylvania 9/10
6. Sanctuary 9/10
7. Prowler 9/10
8. Running Free 7/10
9. Charlotte the Harlot 6/10

I've always thought of this as more of a punctuation mark than a song. It's what they play at the end of the set to tell you that the show's over. Taken on its own, it doesn't have a lot going for it. It's presumably one of the earliest Maiden songs and it sounds like a novice's attempt at writing heavy rock. A talented novice, though, the end result is moderately catchy. 5.

An average song - sometimes I can't stand it but sometimes it works really well.
I don't like repetition and better lyrics could have added a lot to this song.

I feel that a song with a topic like this would work much better on some of their later albums - especially Powerslave and Somewhere in Time. I think Steve from that period would even be capable of writing an epic about it.

The highlight: 1:51

6/10

I have come to enjoy this song a lot. It's a bit too repetitive and predictable to give it too high a score, but the basic ideas are great, so...

7/10

I don't care about this song, it's just a backing theme of the giant Eddie. I always skip it. It gets on my nerves. Definetely one of their worst 3 tracks. 1.

Really a rather average or below average song by Maiden standards. Still, it's got a fun vibe and I never feel much of an urge to skip it, so 6/10.

Only slightly better than Charlotte, but still in the bottom half. I actually gained a bit more appreciation for this song on the last listen through for the survivor (I'm listening to it again as I type). I remember getting chills from that opening riff the first time. So it does have some cool things. Much less generic and has that classic early Maiden energy.

8/10. I think I like this one more than about anyone lol. I think it gets more hate than many songs because it's performed on every single show, which could be a drag after a while. I think it's a nice fun song, however the lyrics could have been much better. It's a great sing along tune nonetheless.

Back