Iron Maiden video interviews / shows

theres a big rub of the nose from Bruce

He tends to do that, in like 1/4 of all interviews I've ever seen.
Besides, people who don't do drugs see no problems whatsoever in wiping nose arbitrary. It's only us, and I won't name here, who see something more of it :D

In my considered opinion, them boys are wired. Blew clean out of it. High as fuck.

In the first 4 mins sausages get a considerable mention, the Stones get a bad touch and around 7mins....well, theres a big rub of the nose from Bruce and the line "...Gucci, Armani, only pimps and wankers wear them..."

Top drawer stuff.
I like that video for Janick openly disagreeing with him. ;)

Hehe. After 5 or 7 minutes, interviewer goes: "Yeah I think we should stop now". And later again. Interview keeps going! :)

I just said, ‘Let’s just go to the studio, get on the floor and see what happens. We’ll go write songs, learn them and record them.’

Oh, man... So it's all his fault. :p As I've mentioned here and there, I think that this approach was the reason for many of TBoS problems. It's good to know it was apparently a matter of clock ticking (it's still weird the band 'wasn't ready' given the 5 year gap, but whatever). I hope they'll organise it better for the next one and enter the studio with more or less finished songs.

It sounds like IESF, SoL, DoG and TBoS had been written beforehand. Well, we know about the first three for sure, but to me TBoS is just too concise and well-thought to be made on the spot. The rest of them I can imagine being done in the studio from scratch - I'm not saying they all suck because of that, but they could use some polishing... with EotC being a real flagship of clumsily constructed songs. :innocent:

I'm now especially happy to have been able to visit that studio. I was already convinced the vibe of the place rubbed off on EOTC, if not other songs. I didn't know Steve had gone through a difficult time just before recording. I wonder if that had any bearing on his writing...most notably Red and the Black?

It's about time I should do as I promised and translate an interview with Steve and Kevin. It's touches upon Jazz's info and more (e.g. Shirley criticizes Adrian Smith; at least, that's how it felt to me when I read it).

8 October 2015:
And you've got another thing coming. I have found another interview in a Dutch magazine (a collegue copied it for me) with Steve and Kevin.
9323-1032015071545.jpg
And Kevin speaks about Adrian in a way I am not sure if I like it either. I will translate some fragments later.

Last edited:
It's taken little over a year. Not a lot compared to time spent waiting for new Maiden albums.

I didn't know Steve had gone through a difficult time just before recording. I wonder if that had any bearing on his writing...most notably Red and the Black?
I think it did. TRATB certainly has that sloppily put together vibe, as if his head wasn't totally into it. I still love the song but it's hard to argue against that. And of course Man Of Sorrows as a lyrical offering is related. Even that he seemed to relinquish control on this album, compared to the last few. He had comparatively less writing credits.

I'd like to see Kevin elaborate a bit. Did the band record all of their parts separately? Did Kevin make editing decisions on the album?

I'd like to see Kevin elaborate a bit. Did the band record all of their parts separately?

Bruce and Nicko have both talked about recording before, and I got the impression they were recording together, at least part of the time. There are several small rooms with glass doors around the main auditorium. Nicko was in the auditorium facing the back which meant he could see the guitarists in the room at the back. Bruce was in a room to his right, Steve was in a little booth on the stage.

I think the whole TBOS apart from EOTC and TRATB is recorded live. The only overdubs are vocals and solos. I think Nicko said in an interview that they recorded piano on EOTC first and they played to that. Also TMOS features Dave's original intro with vocals and drums recorded on top of it.

Yea I remember reading that EOTC was all recorded around the piano parts. Makes sense, a lot of the parts have tempo dictated by the piano and since it's midi they could use a click if absolutely necessary.

Bruce and Nicko have both talked about recording before, and I got the impression they were recording together, at least part of the time. There are several small rooms with glass doors around the main auditorium. Nicko was in the auditorium facing the back which meant he could see the guitarists in the room at the back. Bruce was in a room to his right, Steve was in a little booth on the stage.
They played as a band together and live, but indeed it would be interesting how they did it, sections or whole songs, how many live takes and how much they keep of them, how many overdubs etc. -- my guess is they probably didn't do too many takes, live or overdub. Also, after The Final Frontier Steve talked about how well their approach worked to subsequently record sections with a similar sound after one another (rather than whole songs).
With Empire it was probably all quite different, in that I imagine they recorded Bruce's keyboard parts first.
Yea, I was thinking about the Dance of Death documentary and how adamant they (namely Bruce and Nicko) were about the live recording was the best way to do it. Interestingly, TBOS sounds more like a live recording than TFF did. A lot of TFF seems studio assembled and they could never put it together live on stage, but just about every song on TBOS (except Empire) would work live I think.

Basses don't lend themselves to being swung around the head or mock-thrown into the crowd.

I'm now especially happy to have been able to visit that studio. I was already convinced the vibe of the place rubbed off on EOTC, if not other songs. I didn't know Steve had gone through a difficult time just before recording. I wonder if that had any bearing on his writing...most notably Red and the Black?

I believe Steve lost at least one and I think two people who were close to him right around the time they headed to the studio.
One certainly inspired the lyrics to Man of Sorrows.

dafuq

Edit : looks like channel owner's original work. But the Philly footage looks incredibly clean.

Back