Iron Maiden Survivor done: Hallowed and Rime co-champions

Vote for your LEAST favorite songs!

• Hallowed Be Thy Name

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters
Re: Iron Maiden Survivor FINAL BATTLE: Hallowed vs. Rime (Jan 5-7)

Forostar said:
And it makes sense that this riff returns: the mariner is bound to tell his tale on and on. The music fits to that idea imo.

It might work with the concept, but I think it's boring to listen to, it doesen't feel like the circle is closing, even thought that probably was the idea.

Well, it can't work for everybody. Each his own feeling while playing the song.

Eddies Wingman said:
I agree, and it also unifies the song in a nice way. Also see the discussion about Losfer Words where SMX goes on about how that song is built, and how that also can be said to apply to Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

The funny thing is that Harris didn't spend a single second on music theory, hehe.

Well, music theory is just a tool to systematize something which may be intuitive. I mean, the framework for learning and writing music is laid down by your predecessors in the field. You take something which has been done before, you make your own twist on it, and - hey presto! - you have made music on your own. And as long as you actually base your work on music which is quite conventional (uses the ordinary 12-tone division of the octave, rhythm patterns that are familiar) and so on, you are going to find stuff that will be recognizable for one educated in music theory.

Yes but it was never meant to be like that, it's pure coincidence.

What I like is that Harris' feeling for songwriting has proven that one doesn't necessarily need music theory to write great music. Nor does one need it to appreciate great music to the fullest.

I doubt that Harris was aware of "the history of musical form/structure".

He never studied that, the bloke simply listened to his favourite rock artists which influenced him but at the same time he has initiated a new style (his own style) which is very recognizable and typical.

But that's exactly what I'm saying.

The music Steve Harris has written sounds like it does because it's how Steve Harris wanted it. However, when one has an ear for song structure and so on, it is not very surprising that some songs end up following a structure which has been given a name in classical music theory, despite the composer having no intention of that.

Why is it not surprising?

I find it pretty surprising (thus a coincidence) because out of all successful songwriters in hardrock/metal I associate Harris the least with classical music theory.

edit: O wait, because he listened to songs which influenced him? And these songs follow the classical music theory?

Forostar said:
edit: O wait, because he listened to songs which influenced him? And these songs follow the classical music theory?

No, because a song structure like Rime's, where you establish a musical theme (the first part), then leave it for some time and then return to it for a final part of the song, is not unique to classical music. If 'Arry thought it was a good idea to do it that way, there need not be any link to classical music in it at all.

Thus, I agree there is coincidence in it, but not in the sense that it's coincidental that parallels can be made from a Maiden song to classical music theory. More in the sense that it is coincidental that the structure we're talking about corresponds to that specific term from classical music theory.

Besides, I feel we're sidetracking this thread to the extreme here  :D

Hallowed Be Thy Name, 2nd spot.

Per my usual lazy practice, I jump in at the end of the long survival battle and weigh in on the last two.  Rime is my favorite, so I vote for Hallowed.

cornfedhick said:
Per my usual lazy practice, I jump in at the end of the long survival battle and weigh in on the last two.  Rime is my favorite, so I vote for Hallowed.

That's what I intend to do in the Megadeth Survivor  :D

Now this one is only hours from the conclusion, and we have a tie ... the winner will not win by a large number of votes, that's for certain.

Unless Adrian Smith is added as an option, of course.

Whichever track loses, it will be an honour since the difference is going to be minimal.

Ohh -ohh fight for the honor, fight for the splendor, fight for the pleasure.

If it's a draw I think it should be called an honorable tie rather than count out the number of posted votes.

I did. Is it winning on the posted votes or something?

Back