Iron Maiden on top of the pops UK

AncientMariner_Essex

Ancient Mariner
I was wondering if the more learned Maiden fans on this forum could answer a question that has been bugging me and a mate of mine.

Last night I was talking with a mate and I can't remember how it got brought up but we were talking about Iron Maiden on top of the pops. We know the played running free back in the day on the show and I remember seeing them back on the show playing man on the edge with Blaze. They never performed bring your daughter to the slaughter which I thought was weird as it went number one but I remember the video being played.

I tried to google this question but found nothing except one article from 2012 from the Maiden website talking about going on the show performing run to hills which had been re released as part of the Clive Burr benefit shows. The article mentioned the last time they were on the on the show was in 2000 performing wicker man which I never knew!

Just curious as to how many times they were on the show in the flesh as opposed to having a video played. That's one thing that has always bugged me with Maiden is how at every opportunity they have to discuss the early days/history they bang on and on about how they achieved their success with no radio playing and no support from the mainstream media which is utter bollocks in the uk as throughout the 80's they had several high charting singles that had videos which were played on top of the pops plus the radio had chart countdowns on Sundays and always played the full songs for the top 10. I heard Maiden loads on the radio, ok no where near as much as other pop acts but whenever they released a single that charted well I'd hear it played in radio.

Last edited:
Am I imagining it or where they on it twice for Man on the Edge, once in Israel and then once in the studio? I might be confusing the studio one with them on MTV's Most Wanted.

I possibly have the clive burr and wickerman appearances on a VHS tape somewhere as I vaguely remember the appearances since you mentioned them.

A mate told me he recently saw the trooper video on the TOTP 1983 that BBC 4 were re-running.

Am I imagining it or where they on it twice for Man on the Edge, once in Israel and then once in the studio? I might be confusing the studio one with them on MTV's Most Wanted.

The video shot in Israel was for Top of the Pops. Are you sure there is a studio video?

The video shot in Israel was for Top of the Pops. Are you sure there is a studio video?

not certain, I think my mind is playing tricks on me, but for some reason I have a feeling that the Israel video was the second week they were in the chart, and therefore that maybe they might have been on the previous week too. I might be getting confused though as Maiden did a bit more media than usual around that time with it being the first album with Blaze.

found it

The israel video is on youtube but it's not ripped from the TV broadcast, it looks like it's from the Man on the Edge VHS promo. My memory of it on tops of the pops was they only played as far as the end of daves solo

found it

The israel video is on youtube but it's not ripped from the TV broadcast, it looks like it's from the Man on the Edge VHS promo. My memory of it on tops of the pops was they only played as far as the end of daves solo

Great dances moves from that girl at 1:10

Great live vocals from Blaze btw!

They did Women in Uniform, it was after this performance that they refused to go on the show again, as the studio engineer messed up on all the sound settings - I'm sure McBrain tells that story in one of his Listen with Nicko monologues from the 1st 10 years CDs.

BBC4 are repeating TOTPs in chronological order on Thursday & Friday nights, they are up to 1984 at the moment. I've been watching and so far have seen the videos for NOTB & The Trooper.

They did Women in Uniform, it was after this performance that they refused to go on the show again, as the studio engineer messed up on all the sound settings - I'm sure McBrain tells that story in one of his Listen with Nicko monologues from the 1st 10 years CDs.

BBC4 are repeating TOTPs in chronological order on Thursday & Friday nights, they are up to 1984 at the moment. I've been watching and so far have seen the videos for NOTB & The Trooper.
If I remember correctly, that was recorded but never actually aired due to a BBC union strike on the night.

If I remember correctly, that was recorded but never actually aired due to a BBC union strike on the night.

I was wondering why it hadn't been mentioned in Maiden history books, especially considering the Running Free appearance is well known.

They have appeared live 6 times:

1. Running Free
2. Women In Uniform
3. Man On The Edge - Studio version (September 1995)
4. The Wicker Man (miming)
5. Run To The Hills (I believe the only "live" aspect was Bruce vocals)
6. Wildest Dreams (I also believe the only "live" aspect was Bruce vocals)

Here's another one from Man on the Edge, this one features the two weeks they were on it, the studio and Israel

and here's the dates

Running Free 22nd February, 1980 Performance
Women In Uniform 13th November, 1980 Performance
Run To The Hills 25th February, 1982 Promo Video
The Number Of The Beast 20th May, 1982 Promo Video
The Trooper 7th July, 1983 Promo Video
Two Minutes To Midnight 16th August, 1984 Promo Video
Aces High 1st November, 1984 Promo Video
Running Free(Live) 3rd October, 1985 Promo Video
Can I Play With Madness 24th March, 1988 Promo Video
The Evil That Men Do 11th August, 1988 Promo Video
Infinite Dreams 16th November, 1989 Promo Video