1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by Hottysmiff, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Perhaps it is songs that work especially well with their name-bearing product. But even allowing for that, it's not what you might think of as an overly marketing-led selection from Maiden's back catalogue. Whatever his reasoning, he doesn't appear to have gone for an easier-listening selection to appeal for newer fans.

2. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

Steve was asked whether hearing The Iron Maidens play the song live made him want to play it live with Maiden and his answer was "No". This was part of a Metal Hammer interview done back during some Latin American dates on the Somewhere Back in Time tour if I remember correctly. :)

3. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

I'm afraid I haven't seen it. Or better: I'm glad I didn't see that. That answer hurt.

4. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Nicko clearly wants to play it though. I'd guess if he could persuade Steve then it could probably happen.

Lego and Forostar like this.
  5. GhostofCain

Neither Steve nor Bruce particularly want to play the song live and they are the ones who decide/agree on what gets played.

6. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

My point was clear: if Nicko, who wants to play it, can persuade Steve (the rhythm section), then I think it's possible. I think Steve wanting something & Bruce not can still lead to Maiden playing it.

7. GhostofCain

That might have been the case 25 years ago, but not anymore and even less probable after Bruce's cancer. In the end, he is the one who has to sing the (challenging) songs every night on tour.

8. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Is AtG more challenging than some of the stuff currently in the set?

9. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

It could be on par with
    TRATB
    , at least memory-wise (gazillion of different parts).

10. GhostofCain

Not sure, but Bruce might rather play a new challenging song than an old one he is not too fond of.

11. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

It's not that vocally complicated.
    When did he say he wasn't fond of it?

12. GhostofCain

It is no secret that he is not too fond of Somewhere in Time and I know he has made fun of the lyrics in the past (to be fair, he has a point as they read like a GCSE factual history essay more than anything else).

13. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Yeh, granted the lyrics are pants. I think he's probably totally indifferent to it; but I reckon he could be persuaded.

14. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway Yacht Rock

They already played it guys...I thought you knew...

Forostar and CriedWhenBrucieLeft like this.
  15. Welsh Phantom

Welsh Phantom Educated Fool

This ..... is ..... ACE

Lampwick 43 and harrisdevot like this.
  16. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Just saw the Steve Harris spotify playlist. Pretty cool, surprising amount of songs that never/rarely get played live. Honestly I thought Steve/the band just forgot about some of those.

17. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

Holy shit that's awesome!

18. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

The orchestra sucks (attitude and rhythm). And it's exactly the kind of stuff that almost always sucks ass
    (Berlin-Philharmonic-plays-Scorpions type).

19. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

Nicko is doin a New Years Eve show on Planet Rock radio 10pm til midnight GMT. Should be a few funny stories, boys and girls....

Brigantium likes this.
  20. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Will be nice to see/hear some Maiden activity. It's been quiet for a little while, other than a video on FB, courtesy of Bruce's son, of Bruce shovelling blazing cardboard around in his back garden.

Lego likes this.