Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Re: Maiden wins best live act at Germany's Metal Hammer Awards

Well, I mean, who would you give it to over them?

Until they retire there's no better live act in all of music, and I go to all kinds of shows too.

No one else gets the right amount of showmanship, spectacle, and call and response.

Cap Maronis said:
Well, I mean, who would you give it to over them?

Until they retire there's no better live act in all of music, and I go to all kinds of shows too.

No one else gets the right amount of showmanship, spectacle, and call and response.

Rammstein is close, and German to boot.  Their shows are both over the top, and very original. 

I seem to recall Freaky once telling me that Rammstein isn't so popular in Germany.

LooseCannon said:
I seem to recall Freaky once telling me that Rammstein isn't so popular in Germany.

I think they are anti-popular in Germany; so bad or hated they are good and get press.  Regardless, I'm a huge fan of them.  There music is good, their lyrics are well written poems and stories, and their video are second to none.  They are a lot like Maiden; a less corporate band with a huge following, and once you get passed their commercial stuff like "Du Hast" you can see the depth of their abilities and creativity.  Kinda like getting past "Run to the Hills" with Maiden reveals their true genious.

As far as awards go, well, Maiden has got plenty of those in the past.  What's good for Maiden is good, but it's still just a metal magazine rewarding Maiden for something most metal fans already know: Maiden is awesome live.  It's a "no shit" award, more or less, about as much as Dio as legend (especially after his death). 

chaosapiant said:
Iron Maiden winning an award for best live act is like Jesus winning an award for most popular martyr.

Or, to put it more briefly, this.

LooseCannon said:

Not within metal circles, but they are one of the biggest selling acts in Germany.

Anyway, I think it's cool they won considering I haven't seen them win much as far as these types of awards go.

chaosapiant said:
Rammstein is close, and German to boot.  Their shows are both over the top, and very original. 

Y'know that's a fair answer, and I'm sure in other genres there may be other valid responses as well. To which I respond, when Rammstein does it for 35 years, I'll be with you on that one :p

Just heard it (it's still up for 3 days).

And it's very insightful. Everybody check it out if you haven't yet. I really liked the stuff about the songwriting, and how they created it all. I'll play that part again now!

Hey, Mozzle, could you upload the interview on megaupload or the like and put a link here for those who want to download? Thanx.

Indeed, I second that and it would be appreciated.  I might not be able to find the time for it within 3 days with TFF coming out, but would like to listen to it once I've digested the album a bit.

Just listened to the interview, and it's great stuff!  It's interesting to hear that they are thinking for the next album that they may go back to shorter rocking songs.  I think it would be neat to have like 8-9 short up tempo tracks, a strong power ballad, and then an epic 25 minute or so song to cap the album.  That's just wishful thinking on my part.  There next album could be the sound of bumblebees getting it on and i'd listen to it and go to the show as well. 

chaosapiant said:
Just listened to the interview, and it's great stuff!  It's interesting to hear that they are thinking for the next album that they may go back to shorter rocking songs.  I think it would be neat to have like 8-9 short up tempo tracks, a strong power ballad, and then an epic 25 minute or so song to cap the album.  That's just wishful thinking on my part.  There next album could be the sound of bumblebees getting it on and i'd listen to it and go to the show as well. 

That's a good new !!!!!!!! So it's now confirmed another studio album after "the final frontier"!!!! Anyway "the final fronteri" is very cool...very cool...awesome,even if the songs are too long but wonderful!!!

Quote from: chaosapiant:

Your miss quote has already lead to statements like this:

Quote from: The Clairvoyant
That's a good new !!!!!!!! So it's now confirmed another studio album after "the final frontier"!!!! Anyway "the final fronteri" is very cool...very cool...awesome,even if the songs are too long but wonderful!!!

People! Lets not get ahead of ourselves! First off, Chaosapiant, the band did not say they were thinking about doing an album with shorter songs. Adrian said that. He also said, Maiden are better at long songs and they're great to play live. You know what. I'll just write out What Adrian said.

This is Adrian’s response to the statement of this being the longest studio album. That the songs are long, and often progressive.
I wrote it down basically verbatim.

Yeah we did get into the progressive thing a bit. I’ve changed my writing style a bit, when I approach Maiden. I think that’s our forte. I think we do that best. Rather then the straight ahead stuff. So I have been more concentrating on that.

Jan chips in with a couple as well which are epic. Steve obviously will always come up with an epic. Davy brought in two songs and they were turned into one song, which is now an epic. So there are lots of long songs.

Maybe if we do another album, I’m already thinking maybe we should do an album with short rockers, but I don’t know. I’m starting to think the band really excels at Fear of the Dark, and Hallowed and those other long songs. On stage they are always great to play. 

So how does this statement imply that the band as a whole, is seriously considering another album and that as a band they are thinking about an album of shorter songs.  And for the love of dice, how does this confirm another album?

I'm sorry if I come across as an asshole. It's just... well, lets just try and keep rumors, exaggerations, and fake news to a minimum.

Ah well, some people look forward to more and hope for that, and are happy with every vague hint that comes along. I too thought the "maybe" was pointed at the short songs. So I interpretated it like this: "maybe, next time we'll do more short songs", rather then "maybe we'll do a new album". But the whole thing is probably tongue in cheek. Still I'm pretty sure he knows damn well that the shorter songs are getting more scarce.

And I loved that part about "we're very undramatic people".

mozzle said:
Quote from: chaosapiant:
Your miss quote has already lead to statements like this:

Quote from: The Clairvoyant
People! Lets not get ahead of ourselves! First off, Chaosapiant, the band did not say they were thinking about doing an album with shorter songs. Adrian said that. He also said, Maiden are better at long songs and they're great to play live. You know what. I'll just write out What Adrian said.

This is Adrian’s response to the statement of this being the longest studio album. That the songs are long, and often progressive.
I wrote it down basically verbatim.

Yeah we did get into the progressive thing a bit. I’ve changed my writing style a bit, when I approach Maiden. I think that’s our forte. I think we do that best. Rather then the straight ahead stuff. So I have been more concentrating on that.

Jan chips in with a couple as well which are epic. Steve obviously will always come up with an epic. Davy brought in two songs and they were turned into one song, which is now an epic. So there are lots of long songs.

Maybe if we do another album, I’m already thinking maybe we should do an album with short rockers, but I don’t know. I’m starting to think the band really excels at Fear of the Dark, and Hallowed and those other long songs. On stage they are always great to play. 

So how does this statement imply that the band as a whole, is seriously considering another album and that as a band they are thinking about an album of shorter songs.  And for the love of dice, how does this confirm another album?

I'm sorry if I come across as an asshole. It's just... well, lets just try and keep rumors, exaggerations, and fake news to a minimum.

I had not understood very good,anyway if they will do another album in the future it would be awesomw with shorter songs !!!
The important thing is that this not the last tour...!!!

I do apologize for what could be misconstrued as a misquote.  The truth is, I have a hard time understanding almost everyone in the band except for Bruce most times.  I even watch their documentaries in sub-titles to alleviate this.  Regardless, Adrian did say he was thinking it, but yes, he also said they excel at the long songs.  Sorry for any confusion in my statements!

Back