Iron Maiden/maidenfans Bb Faq Discussion Thread

A

Anonymous

This thread is for discussing the FAQ on Iron Maiden and the Maidenfans network, BB, chatroom and general community. Please make any suggestions for additions here, as well as any constructive criticism on the FAQ.

The thread will occasionally be pruned, i.e. every "thank you", "great work" etc. post will be deleted, as nice to read as they are. Discussions and any comments are encouraged here, but some won't stay long anyway, because this thread is also intended to be a reference to the FAQ.

Thank you [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

The true story of this forum's "Adrian Smith obsession":

Some time ago, Perun started a thread in the polls forum asking who Maiden's best singer was. (This thread and all other Adrian-Smith related threads from that time have since been deleted.) Perun's original thread was intended as a joke; his initial post largely dismissed the vocals of Paul, Bruce and Blaze while praising Nicko's vocal track on "Age Of Innocence ... How Old".

I chose to respond in a similar joking fashion. I typed the sentence:
"Adrian Smith is Maiden's best singer."
But then I thought, why stop there? I came up with 21 more Adrian Smith statements, including the now-legendary:
"Adrian Smith is larger than you."
I posted my madness and thought nothing more of it.

Little did I realize, I had created a monster!

Within 24 hours Maverick, LooseCannon and Perun all began crafting their own Adrian Smith statements. For weeks, the four of us were filling that thread (and many others) with our nonsense. During this time, it also became traditional to add "Adrian Smith" as the final option on every poll, no matter how ridiculous. Maverick always edited the poll result to make sure Adrian Smith won convincingly.

A few months later, it was decided to delete all the old Adrian Smith threads and try to return the polls forum to some level of sanity. Before that happened, I copied all the original Adrian Smith statements and eventually published them on my website as [a href=\'http://www.sinisterministerx.net/smith.php\' target=\'_blank\']The Holy Scriptures of the Church of Adrian Smith[/a]. (This webpage now contains some more recent submissions, but the bulk of it is still from a bygone era.)

A by-product of our Adrian Smith obsession was the emergence of a "rival" group dedicated to Steve Harris. This group was mainly led by Maidenfreak and Onhell.

So now all newer members (that is, those who have been here for less than a year) know the full story. And to new members: it's all a big joke. Please don't take it seriously!

Has Iron Maiden ever played <insert song name here> live?

Please read [a href=\'http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?showtopic=7753&view=findpost&p=99840\' target=\'_blank\']this post[/a] by Forostar from the Commentary forum.

sorry for being the usual smartass - but the Vinyl version of Best of the Beast was a 4 LP set, not 5 [!--emo&:dork:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dorky[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dorky[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]
anyway, great thread!
And to all newbies: Don't believe what SMX said there. His Church of Adrian Smith might be a joke, but I DO worship Steve Harris [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Just a couple of pointers

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]What's that unnamed solo on the SIT tour?

On the SIT tour, after ROTAM, Dave and H usually played what is sometimes called a "battle", which is basically some guitar improvisation. This culminated in a solo that is based on the melody of a song called "Walking In The Air", which is, if I am not mistaken, an old X-Mas song. The song has been played by Nightwish on their album Oceanborn.[/quote]

The name that is used on most bootleg covers is "Walking On Glass". Also it's slightly more structured than guitar improvisation, with the actual guitar parts not changing that much from gig to gig.

Oh and:

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The Iron Maiden section is moderated by the Moderator Squad, made up by LooseCannon, SinisterMinisteX and The 7th Son.[/quote]

SinisterMinisteX? Who? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Sorry to be so pedantic [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Nov 6 2005, 03:56 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Nov 6 2005, 03:56 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]a song called "Walking In The Air", which is, if I am not mistaken, an old X-Mas song. The song has been played by Nightwish on their album Oceanborn...
[snapback]122283[/snapback]​
[/quote]...and many other artists, kid’s choirs etc. It is in fact a composition by Howard Blake (he wrote the lyrics too), originally written for the famous children’s story The Snowman [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] (That just for the sake of completion of Perun’s nice post)

Without wanting to selfpromote my threads, I think the list of all official recordings I have compiled [a href=\'http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=8453&st=0\' target=\'_blank\']here[/a] by Maiden would be nice in this FAQ

Perun, what about the infamous question:

Why do I have a freaking warn level bar above my nickname ??? For what is stands for ???

And what about give some explanations on why some people would think that Nicko IS NOT in the VXI drums ?

As for the rest, its just great

"Up the Irons" is in fact an old West Ham battlecry.
When the club was founded it went by the name of "Thames Ironworks" and that's where "Up the Irons" came from.
"Up the 'ammers" is used nowadays, too, but the traditional nickname for West Ham still is "the Irons".

You can find it written on the credits page of every Iron Maiden album to date. It's Steve supporting his fave team. However, fans eventually took it up, screaming it at concerts and other occassions - without even knowing that it was referring to the football club.

I think the fake album titles should be mentioned...

EDIT: new version after Freakys posting:

Is the next Maiden album going to be called 'Majesty Of Gaia' / 'Twins Of Fate'?

Definitely NOT. Those titles were made up by Iron Maiden fans. 'Majesty Of Gaia' startet off as a joke by two fans before the release of 'Brave New World' who wanted to find out how convincing an album title they could come up with - they made up the title and tracklist and mailed it to a radio - the guys at the radio station posted it on their website and the rumour quickly spread on the net - some online shops even started taking pre-oders for it.

'Twins Of Fate' was a title somebody on the IMBB came up with before the release of 'Dance Of Death'. Obviously he wanted to fool the Maiden community in the same manner as aforementioned.

General rule concerning rumoured album titles: The band decides about the title when the album is done, they would never think of a title and then work on the album.

[!--quoteo(post=128662:date=Feb 9 2006, 03:27 AM:name=TheTrooper666)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(TheTrooper666 @ Feb 9 2006, 03:27 AM) [snapback]128662[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I think the fake album titles should be mentioned...

Is the next Maiden album going to be called 'Majesty Of Gaia' / 'Twins Of Fate'?
Definitely NOT. Those titles were made up by some geeks a long time ago (a few months before 'Brave New World' came out). They wanted to fool the Maiden fans by saying they got insider information and posted the aforementioned album titles and tracklists they made up. Of course some fans fell for it (well, what can you expect of the IMBB?) and spread the rumour across the Maiden community. The titles regularly resurface before the release of a new Maiden album.
[/quote]

This is not the whole truth.
First, Twins Of Fate was (a rather lame) fake title/song list before Dance of Death came out.
Majesty of Gaia is something way different, here's an interesting read on that one

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Time to give you some info on the Majesty Of Gaia rumour from 2000.
It started on a winter night back in early 2000 when 2 longtime Maiden fans were chatting about the new Maiden album, and how crappy the rumours were. Some people who were on the Iron Maiden newsgroup (alt.rock-n-roll.metal.ironmaiden) might know us, but you won't believe it was us if we told you.

Basically, we were sick of the shitty songtitles that some people came up with (come on, Land of the Dinosaurs? you must be kidding), so we decided to create our own one, to see how convincing we could make it, and to test our own Maiden knowledge.

So we spent a night brainstorming about titles that might sound like Maiden songs, and that might have themes Maiden would write songs about. At the end we had 10 titles and some background info that we thought would be quite convincing.

We mailed it to Hardradio, and they almost immediately posted it. What we mailed will be posted in a few minutes, along with the reply from Hardradio.com, and the reply we got when they found out it was a joke.
More sites copied the news from Hardradio, so it started to get more and more convincing.

Unfortunately, something happened that we hadn't counted on: online shops started to take pre-orders for it. That's where Maiden's management thought it had gone too far, and I can't blame them.

Oh, and to Skunk and the other admins: yes, I created another account for this. You can probably find out one of the people who was behind it, but please just keep that to yourself. We never meant to do any harm, it was all done for a few laughs.

To Iron Maiden, Rod Smallwood and the rest of the management: We're sorry if it caused you much trouble. We hoped you had a laugh about it too. Feel free to use any of the titles

p.s.: please note how close we were on the live b-sides.....
And try and find the similarities between our titles and the real BNW titles....

This is what we sent to Hardradio.com back in february 2000:

----------------------------------
Here's some information you might want to know. It comes from a very reliable source, who works at Sanctuary Management. I can't give his name because else he will probably be fired. He has seen the tracklist and coverart, and heard Rod and Maiden talk about the first single.

The albumtitle will be "Majesty of Gaia"
The tracklist will almost certainly look like this:
1. Heaven's Gate
2. Cardinal Sin
3. Everyone's Illusion
4. Seraphine
5. Equinox
6. Fallen Empire
7. King Of The Desert
8. Conveyer Of Truth
9. He Who Laughs Last
10. Majesty Of Gaia

First single will be Heaven's Gate, which is, like Moonchild and Futureal, a pretty fast album opener.
B-sides:
Highway Star (Deep Purple cover)
and probably one or two of the following:
Powerslave, Aces High or Futureal (all recorded live on the Ed Hunter tour)

The albumcover will feature Derek Riggs' work, as will the single cover. However, the single cover will feature digital art (like Riggs did on Gamma Ray's Powerplant album), as opposed to the album cover which will be traditional painting. He didn't say much about what was on it, except that the digital Eddie made by Riggs looked impressive. better then the one from Synthetic Dymensions.
Planned release is end of May, with the first single, Heaven's Gate, released in the last week of April or first week of May.

Here's what Hardradio.com replied. Notice the part about being suckered before...:

-------------------------

Well, I'm not sure who you are or if we've ever spoke or emailed each
other, BUT, this Maiden scoop is F**KIN' AWESOME! If it's true (sorry to
question you, but we've been suckered before), this means a LONG, LONG
night at the pub courtesy of BW&BK/HardRadio!!! Thanxs a bunch!

Stay Heavy,

MT

as for the song titles:

Track 7 on Majesty Of Gaia was to be called "King Of The Desert". What do we see on Brave New World? a song called "Nomad". And of course nomads are those traveling people in the deserts, and are sometimes called kings of the desert.

Then there is a song called "Fallen Empire", and one called "Seraphine". A seraphine is some sort of angel. On Brave New World, there is a song called "The Fallen Angel".

On Majesty Of Gaia, there was a title called "Everyone's Illusion". On Brave New World, there is "Dream Of Mirrors". What are mirrors occasionally used for? Illusions.

Finally there is a title called "He who laughs last", which is some old english saying. on BNW, there is "The thin line between love and hate", which is also a saying.

Oh, and If I recall correctly, the Hardradio article said that the single would be released as a 2CD set and 12". Although everyone knows that Maiden will probably release the singles in those formats, we didn't tell them that. Hardradio added that piece themselves, as if it were true too.

Mail sent afterwards:
Hey!

I knew it was a fake from the beginning as well!! What a fuckin' scam. I
just carried your words to the masses cuz I still don't forgive Steve
Harris/Sanctuary for hiring Blaze! I knew management would freak and they
(including Rod) are pissed!!!! HardRadio still reigns as METAL news central!

Now WHO is the sucker?[/quote]

I suggest adding this list to the FAQ. Amazing - AMAZING tour dates list. The most accurate to date, far better than any circulating on the net.

I decided to split the FAQ and the discussion on it in two threads. A link to this thread can be found in the FAQ topic, so nothing is lost. I think this makes the whole thing a bit neater.
I will reorganise the FAQ in the next time, in order to bring some structure to it.

Back