Iron Maiden lyrics tournament final: Empire of the Clouds rises above all

Pick the song with the best lyrics from each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Slowly unvealing the power he holds...
I like the suspense of the SSOASS lyrics fitting brilliantly to the music and vocal delivery. 'Arry's most threatening stuff right after Rime.

It works better in the context of the "whole story", I guess. It still works by itself though, and I still like it a bit better than Aces

And the last two songs to advance are Aces High (8-3) and the The Alchemist 11-0)
Forty songs left.

Next rounds consists of four survivors to eliminate eight songs and seed the round of 32.

10 songs to choose from. Vote for your least favourite five.
You can vote for less, but it will affect seeding when we return to head-to-head.
Bottom two are eliminated.

Last edited:
Apart from the repetition of the song title in the chorus, I find the lyrics to The Final Frontier quite compelling.

It seems I've came back to the game in the most difficult round, I managed to pick only two...

I don't know if I should ask this here, but as Run To The Hills is still in the game... Does anyone think Bruce wrote the lyrics for RTTH?

I think it is entirely possible and even likely.
"Soldier Blue in the barren wastes hunting and killing's a game" sure seems to fit the melody a lot better than what Steve is known for. I wouldn't call it erudite for Bruce, but for Steve, yes.

Yeah, the vocal melody makes me think it was written by a singer. Also, during his solo career, when he played some maiden songs, he only played the songs he wrote the lyrics for like Powerslave, Flight of Icarus, 2 Minutes to Midnight and The Prisoner (pretty obvious he wrote this one). And among them he also played RTTH, that's why it makes me think he wrote the lyrics.

These Colours Don't Run into the next round and this round was truly The Final Frontier for The Final Frontier.

Second group of 10. Again, you have up to five votes.
Two will be eliminated and the others seeded based on the number of votes against.

Aftermath and Remember Tomorrow gone.
Third group up. Same drill.
Up to five votes, two eliminated, others reseeded based on their votes.

And I wake up to Rime in the lead. Very surprising.
Isn't this one of the best tales Maiden ever told?

And I wake up to Rime in the lead. Very surprising.
Isn't this one of the best tales Maiden ever told?

It is, but in a lyric tournament setting, its lack of originality hurts. Best parts of the lyrics are direct quotations from the poem.

That's the reason I voted for it anyway.

In its lyrics in a song (connected to music/atmosphere/vocal performance) context it rules. People way too much mostly focus on the "lyric only" criterium. As Mckindog said in his introduction, there are more aspects.

Wasted, Greater Good, Mirrors. WY doesn't move me at all, it's a collection of fleeting thoughts. Greater Good could be more thought-provoking but ends up rambling/ranting slightly too much. It's up against tougher opposition now. Dream of Mirrors is what I'm increasingly coming to think of as one of Steve's more generic writing efforts.

Back