1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IRON MAIDEN ALBUMS SURVIVOR: POWERSLAVE WINS

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Mosh, Aug 3, 2016.

?

Satisfied?

1. Yes

53.8%
  2. No

26.9%
  3. CriedWhenSITWasEliminated

19.2%
  1. Whooten

Whooten Educated Fool

To add to my prior post, the following is the aggregate ranking of Iron Maiden albums based on 3 survivors:
    1) Powerslave
    2 (tie) Somewhere in Time / 7th Son of a 7th Son
    4) Piece of Mind
    5) A Matter of Life and Death
    6 (tie) Brave New World / The Final Frontier
    8) The Book of Souls
    9) The Number of the Beast
    10) The X-Factor
    11) Iron Maiden
    12) Dance of Death
    13) Killers
    14 (tie) No Prayer for the Dying / Fear of the Dark / Virtual XI

2. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

I'm fine with either of the two finalists winning. In fact, the entire top 5 is very much to my liking.

Zare and tarikz like this.
  3. Powerslave doesn't have any average tracks.
    Seventh son has several

4. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

1: Powerslave
    2: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    3: A Matter of Life and Death
    4: Piece of Mind
    5: Somewhere In Time
    6: Brave New World
    7: The Book of Souls
    8: Number of the Beast
    9: The Final Frontier
    10: Iron Maiden
    11: The X Factor
    12: Dance of Death
    13: Killers
    14: No Prayer For the Dying
    15: Fear of the Dark
    16: Virtual XI

And we have a winner! Very interesting results this time around. Thanks for playing everyone!

5. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

My personal ranking would look more like this:

1: Piece of Mind (tie)
    2: A Matter of Life and Death (tie)
    3: Powerslave
    4: Somewhere In Time
    5: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    6: The Final Frontier
    7: The Book of Souls
    8: Brave New World
    9: Killers
    10: Number of the Beast
    11: The X Factor
    12: Iron Maiden
    13: Dance of Death
    14: No Prayer For the Dying
    15: Virtual XI
    16: Fear of the Dark

At least that's how I feel today. I'm pretty satisfied overall though, Glad to see Somewhere In Time knocked down to a more appropriate position. My top 5 changes all the time, it's always those 5 albums they're very close. Sometimes I also prefer TFF to SSOASS and even SIT, so those are close too.

6. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

I could be more satisfied (mostly to do with Brave New World and Book of Souls, which should both be in the top five at least), but overall Killers ended up in the lower third - so I'm content.

7. Deus_Adrian

Deus_Adrian Prince of the Final Frontier

Of course it did. Its the best Iron Maiden album.

1) Powerslave
    2) AMOLOD
    3) the rest of the 80's
    4) The rest since 2000
    5) NPFTD

-------------------------
    9) Everything else

8. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

I'm generally satisfied. The top 2 are spot-on, and I have no issues with AMOLAD at #3. The Book of Souls should have been higher, at least top 5, and Piece of Mind and BNW were both way to high for my tastes. I also rate Dance of Death much higher than just about everyone else, but I can't say that I was expecting it do very well here.

Other than that, everything is about where it should be. :)

9. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Not satisfied. I don't recall having seen so much lack of appreciation for the Blaze era since I am on this forum. Going dohoown, going dohoohohoown indeed.

It still strikes me somewhat to see that a growing group of people are so focused on most albums Bruce and Adrian are on. Of course, let everybody enjoy what they did! But it's a pity that this can overshadow the rest.

On Somewhere in Time: Certainly, there must have been several people who are not that fond of the album, but who never played the previous editions. And the people who supported it in previous editions were absent this time.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  10. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

Personally I love The X Factor but can find no justification for putting No Prayer, Fear or VXI above anything featuring both Adrian and Bruce.

I dont find it strange that albums with those two, as you put it, 'overshadow' the rest; they feature on the majority of material and the vast majority of well known and appreciated big hits/classics/epics.

Is everything they are on perfect? No (see SiT).
    Are they part of the best and most popular line ups/phases of Maidens career? Yes.

However, Id still take Blaze over 90s Bruce, all day long.

Am i satisfied? With the result, yes, wouldnt really argue with the top 4.
    However I got kinda bored in the middle cos I kept voting for SiT and losing. It took a while before some people woke up and smelt the coffee.....

Zare likes this.
  11. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway Yacht Rock

I think that looks like a pretty fair ranking all things considered.

12. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

So the forum is more heading towards well known hits and classics these days? At least more compared to a while ago? Are "we" bleating with the herd more and more? Sheep with deviating course will be present less and less? Great development. Great.

13. Stardust

Stardust A Blue Sector Mirage

14. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway Yacht Rock

I don''t know...the results look pretty much exactly like the results of the last survivor when you look at the bigger picture. Killers moved up a few spots. Powerslave moved up from just being top 3 to being the #1 album...A Matter of Life And Death had a pretty big leap into the top 3.

Overall I'm just tired of the labeling that we do all the time here...classics, progressive, epics, new, old....Can't we just judge a Maiden track on wether or not we think it rocks or not? Using the labels seems to be a way to downgrade each others opinions all the time. Yeah so it's a classic? Who cares, the song fucking rocks.

15. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Let's not dwell into elitism here. Everybody is entitled.

16. Whooten

Whooten Educated Fool

I thought a Maiden track's merit was based solely on how long the song is.

17. Niall Kielt

Foro, I personally dont base my opinion around anyone else or whether i want to be in a particular 'camp,' ie. Classics or Anti-Classics. And i agree with Sixes that these kind of labels are an irritant. I was just illustrating the point that Bruce and Adrian stuff has the majority of the best and most appreciated tunes so is obvioisly gonna fair well. And surely given SiT won twice in a row then it is going against this herd you speak of to see it drop so much?

Its kinda like travel. Many people want to be seen as 'travellers' as opposed to 'tourists' so maybe they shun the major attractions. Well people flock to major attractions for a reason; they're fuckin good. But theres also many a good thing on the road less travelled. To round off my musings I shall paraphrase our esteemed collegue, Sixes; if it rocks, it rocks.

18. Niall Kielt

Multiply that by chorus repetition to get mark out of 10

19. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

These Days AMOLAD, Final Frontier and Book of Souls get the most listens.
    Does that make them my current top three?

20. Niall Kielt

These Days is good but not a patch on Slippery When Wet

jazz from hell likes this.