1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iron Maiden 2018 album/tour rumours

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by matic22, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

To be fair, had they casually thrown those songs into a "normal" tour, it would've been a huge surprise. The themed tours makes it easy to take some of those deep cuts for granted. I doubt anyone expected Seventh Son to be played again before history tours became a thing.

Actually there is. 2012 Maiden brought Afraid To Shoot Strangers back for the first time since 1998, people still complain on this forum about the absence of Infinite Dreams.

frus likes this.
  2. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Nonetheless, that could have happened also, without having ATSS (or any other "rare" song) reappearing in the setlist. At least, people have been complaining for decades that Infinite Dreams song does not return. And rightfully so.

3. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

And it easy to play these songs. They are in their system. They enjoy that too, rather than sweating on relearning material.

4. Mosh

There's no disputing that laziness is a factor, probably the main factor. But there are other factors involved that encourage the lack of motivation to learn new material.

5. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

It is somewhat funny that we are discussing laziness when since the reunion they have been playing songs that by the mid 90s we thought we would never listen again live.

Could they be more adventurous with the setlists? Of course they could, but I'd rather have what we have been getting since 1999 than the run-of-the-mill setlists from the 90s, with some new songs, a few songs off previous albums and the always the same oldies.

6. Mosh

I'm definitely not complaining, but they've pretty much admitted this. There's a recent interview with Nicko where he says he'll suggest doing a song they've never played live and someone will respond that they don't want to relearn it.

7. Travis The Dragon

Travis The Dragon The dreamers may die, but the dreams live on.

Oops, I stand corrected.
    I can't picture Maiden doing all overplayed classics. In fact, I don't think they've ever done a tour quite like that.

8. Manofsorrows

Manofsorrows I know what i want

I was surprised when they played the intro for moonchild back in 2008, sounded better than the original. Just sayin'.

And Dance of Death in 2011, beautiful.

9. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

And Paschendale and BTATS dropped in 2010, not so beautiful.

10. Operations666

Operations666 Educated Fool

Paschendale was dropped for Dance of Death, right? No problem with that, as DoD is a better song and goes over better live. Was great to get them both on the 2003 tour, but if I had to choose one, it's DoD. That was probably the highlight of the 2011 tour to me, along with WtWWB.

Zare and Night Prowler like this.
  11. SirRobbins

SirRobbins Ancient Mariner

Flight of Icarus and of course the SIT songs were the main ones... The surprise was The Trooper wasn't played. It was the last time Rime of the Ancient Mariner was played until 2008 - 2009.... Only played 3 tours.... only reason it was played in 86-87 was because they failed to get Alexander the Great together for the set list. It was the first time in all of their albums up to that point that the closing song wasn't played. Seventh Son followed suit with Only the Good Die Young

12. SirRobbins

I missed the DOD tour and they did not add Paschendale until the Texas shows after I saw them in Florida during TFF tour. I was pissed... Paschendale was the best song I think they've done since the reunion... To me, it's like missing Caught Somewhere in Time but I wasn't alive then so......

Maiden4Ever and Lego like this.
  13. GhostofCain

Do you have a link to the interview? Thanks in advance.

14. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

I think the interview is the one where Nicko said he thought it would have been cool to do songs they haven't done live, and Dave responded "but we would have to relearn all those songs then".

15. Mosh

That's the one, might've been Eddie Trunk. Will look when I'm home.

16. Maiden4Ever

Maiden4Ever Trooper

Paschendale, DOD and WTWWB would be welcome staples instead of
    If that's true then I think fans have every right to be frustrated with set lists. Is it too much to ask Davey to spend a few hours on the beech in Barbados to dust off a few tracks. I just want the band to finish strongly. Either new material or challenge themselves but playing some different old or recent tracks. I worry the next tour will be made up of a compilation of staple set list tracks of recent years.

17. Mosh

I thought it was this one but I can't find the clip. There is some interesting setlist discussion at around the 30 minute mark though. I'll keep looking.

18. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

I haven't seen the interview in question, but how it's reported in this thread makes it seem to me that Dave was having a joke, I wouldn't take it too seriously.

19. GhostofCain

Thanks. I listened to that interview as soon as it was originally uploaded and do not remember any mention to not wanting to re-learn songs, but would be interested to read/hear any other interview where this might have been mentioned.

20. SirRobbins

^ I actually asked Nicko back in December 2016 why the band ignore Somewhere in Time songs.... He told me there was no real reason he is aware of but said it's one of his favorite albums and said most everyone likes it but they weren't too pleased how it turned out live. I can understand this after watching bootlegs.... Definitely an album that was hard to pull live kinda like Def Leppard's Hysteria.... Over processed in the studio, phenomenal album but live it was tough. They really needed 3 guitars live for that album and they have them now so I guess I'm not sure of the hesitation unless the statements in prior posts are true... the band doesn't want to go back and deal with those songs... However, their new material, as most will agree, is WAY more complex than prior albums by miles!

If they toss SIT to the grave, it'll sadden me but fine.

Please play something like To Tame a Land or Still Life.... maybe 22 Acacia Avenue one more time... c'mon mates.... stop reading Loudwire columns and read this forum lol

[​IMG]