Innocent Exile

How good is Innocent Exile on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
5. Some interesting instrumental parts but generally quite forgettable.

Rankings:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile

Love this song, the 'funkiest' maiden ever got and with every new album I wonder if steve will attempt a bit o funk again. As a fan of maiden doing new/unusual stuff and a funk fan this really ticks my box baby! :ph34r: 9/10 for this one, cats

• Much like Another Life, this one suffers from an awkward flow. Sounds "thrown together"..
Agreed.
I still think it's quite enjoyable. For me it just shows how gifted the guys in Maiden were and still are. Even their least inspired moments sound quite good. 7/10

I think this is the exact point in this album where the whole 'Killers' sound starts wearing me out.

Quite like the funk element on this and good catchy guitarwork. Stands out more than some other tracks on the album.

Groovy track with lots to enjoy, but nothing outstanding.
Highlight: The inter-verse interlude.
Lowlight: The "Uh" towards the end.
7/10

Groovy track with lots to enjoy, but nothing outstanding.
I think this sums up my thoughts. Love the groove, but it's overall nothing special. The solo isn't my thing, probably one of Maiden's worst, but I do enjoy the ending to this one, it would have made a good album closer IMO. Bass is probably the most memorable part of this song. 7/10.

Opening: good. Verses: eh. Solo and end: saves the track. Keeping this one at a 7/10.

Very good song. It took some time to grow on me, but it did, and it's awesome. Oh, and it has one of the coolest bass intros from Maiden. A 7.

Last edited:
Wow, I really dislike that bass intro. Thankfully it gives way to a cool, slightly funky verse groove where Paul continues to give his half-spoken delivery.

The break after each verse has a cool harmonized guitar bit. After the second one there's a pretty anemic section that sounds like a solo starts and then gives up, fading into a pretty decent vocal bridge.

Ugh, here's that terrible bass riff again, with some oohs and screams on top of it now. Then we get a pretty rote guitar rhythm with a couple of high quality solos on top of it, which then slowly chugs its way down to another big rock ending with Paul wailing on top of it.

There are a number of strong parts to this song, but some weaker elements too. 6/10.

There's more going on here than in "Another Life", but it comes out sounding worse. Verses suck. You can get lost in the instrumental, but it doesn't save the song. 2/10.

Another fairly good performance from Di'Anno, and with better music than "Another Life", but still nothing much at the end of the day. Filler track, certainly. 4

Good intro and riff. Adrian's solo is great. Very good fast tempo after the solos. Good end to the song. Strange song in the band's discography. 5/10

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

Back