If Iron Maiden had to replace Nicko..

Is it just me or is Portnoy the go-to suggestion whenever a replacement for a metal drummer is mentioned?
To be fair, Portnoy has earned his reputation as a go-to replacement drummer. He's reliable, learns the material quickly, and stays faithful to the original drum parts*. However, part of the reason he's the go-to replacement is because AFAIK every drummer he has replaced either died or left abruptly. Part of the reason he's appealing is he's one of the few big names who is consistently available on short notice. I hope Maiden are never in a position where someone like Portnoy is needed for that reason. If Nicko is to be replaced, I want it to be carefully considered and planned out in advance. I also want to see someone who fits in the band, both in music and personality.

*This is why the concerns that he'd overplay Nicko's parts are bogus. Check out what he does with Twisted Sister, some of the simplest music he's ever part of, and he did the original parts justice. I think he would capture Nicko's parts well. The only thing I can imagine sticking out is his use of double bass, but maybe he'd switch to single bass out of homage for Nicko.

Angular/metronomical/clinical really doesn't describe his playing at all. He's very McBrain like in that he's technically proficient but also has a great feel and energy to his playing. Lots of that stuff can be heard on Awake.

Right. If Maiden had to get someone in quick for a tour, Portnoy would be a great choice. He'd be totally respectful of the double bass thing. Plus, Maiden knows him, as they have taken DT out before. Heck, that's how I discovered Dream Theater, opening for Maiden 25 years ago at The Ritz.
He's also a HUGE Maiden fan.
Obviously, Portnoy would not be considered permanently.

Angular/metronomical/clinical really doesn't describe his playing at all. He's very McBrain like in that he's technically proficient but also has a great feel and energy to his playing. Lots of that stuff can be heard on Awake.

It's funny, too clinical/angular/metronomical are used to describe Portnoy's replacement in Dream Theater, Mike Mangini, suggesting he cannot replace the feel and energy of Portnoy.

Mike Bordin from Faith No More. He has stepped in for various major acts over the years, including Ozzy. And of course he cements his classic metal ability by playing a great version of War Pigs:

I changed my mind. They should pick me. I can play Where Eagles Dare and Wicker Man faithfully with a single pedal, and I love Sonor drums and Paiste cymbals.

Those are the only qualifications, right? :D

There's also the business angle to consider (whoever comes in would likely be a mercenary and not a full member - can't see them wanting to split royalties/publishing etc...with someone who's only going to be in the band for whatever time is left before retirement).

There's also the business angle to consider (whoever comes in would likely be a mercenary and not a full member - can't see them wanting to split royalties/publishing etc...with someone who's only going to be in the band for whatever time is left before retirement).
Cool with me, as long as I get to play that sexy gold drum set and three square meals a day I'm set :p

Yea, who's going to turn down a gig with Maiden?

I still think Steve will want to end it properly. So many rock bands end in tragedy (Zeppelin, Motorhead, Hendrix, Nirvana etc...) or acrimony (Sabbath, likely Kiss, Queensryche et-al) that Maiden is in an enviable position to go out with a victory lap.

Yea, who's going to turn down a gig with Maiden?

Yeah, I didn't get a chance to finish my thought on that post as my three year old was having a tantrum :nuts:.

Basically, I can't see Steve getting a 'henchman' and dealing with the artistic and business fallout. The only thing I think Maiden really have "left to do" is to go out with glory...which if you think about it, is a pretty rare accomplishment in rock (because of the acrimony/tragedy thing I mentioned above).

Basically, I can't see Steve getting a 'henchman' and dealing with the artistic and business fallout. The only thing I think Maiden really have "left to do" is to go out with glory...which if you think about it, is a pretty rare accomplishment in rock (because of the acrimony/tragedy thing I mentioned above).
Absolutely. Seeing Rush bow out gracefully a couple years ago was really refreshing, despite being bittersweet. With Maiden it's tough because you could argue that they are better than ever right now. They're writing amazing music, the live shows are just as exciting as in the 80s, and Bruce is in great shape. That just doesn't happen. Even Rush were starting to show their age by the end. It's unfortunate that the only thing stopping them at this point is time and, again just like Rush, the sheer physical demands of the drummer are probably going to cause Maiden to end 5-10 years earlier than they should.

Absolutely. Seeing Rush bow out gracefully a couple years ago was really refreshing, despite being bittersweet. With Maiden it's tough because you could argue that they are better than ever right now. They're writing amazing music, the live shows are just as exciting as in the 80s, and Bruce is in great shape. That just doesn't happen. Even Rush were starting to show their age by the end. It's unfortunate that the only thing stopping them at this point is time and, again just like Rush, the sheer physical demands of the drummer are probably going to cause Maiden to end 5-10 years earlier than they should.

Yeah, Rush is really bittersweet, but a good example of a band that went out properly.

Not to get off topic, but who else other than Rush and (can't believe they're in the mix) Motley Crue have gone out on their own terms? Seems like everyone else is dealing with controversial replacements or is on their 32nd farewell tour.

I wouldn't pick anybody.

As Steve has said numerous times, if Nicko (or any one of them, for that matter) decides to retire, then they should bow out gracefully and call it quits.

Besides that fact, Nicko is pretty unique as a player, and pretty much irreplaceable at this point (unless they can find an ex-jazz/blues session drummer with a machine-gun right foot who's spent the past 30 years playing in a massively prolific prog-tinged metal band).

Agreed.

Not to get off topic, but who else other than Rush and (can't believe they're in the mix) Motley Crue have gone out on their own terms? Seems like everyone else is dealing with controversial replacements or is on their 32nd farewell tour.

Captain Beefheart comes to mind. You could say Creedence in a way (released their only bad album and broke up immediately afterwards). Gentle Giant. Agalloch. Family. Isis. The Beatles. Return to Forever. Fall of Efrafa. Steely Dan. Cream and Derek and the Dominos. :D Arguably Jethro Tull, Porcupine Tree and Tom Waits - hard to say there.

Back