I Want A New Drug!

Wästed The Great

Minister Of Chicks, Metal&Beer; Cool & Froody Dude
Staff member
I kinda facebooked this question, but what band is out there that I am not hearing that is epic and new. That is a hard one, I know, but what I'm wondering is if there really is one. Something newish (from the last 10 years) that is just amazing. Like how you felt about Queen, Maiden, Metallica, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Queensryche, Zepplin, The Who, etc after their first 3-4 albums (first 5-10 years). There are heaps and tons of 'new' bands that sound like other new bands and a lot of them make music good enough that I won't turn the station when it's on. But is there something that has that feel of Run To The Hills, Queen Of The Reich, Freebird, Sanitarium, etc? I know that it is really hard to compare music of today to something from the 70's or 80's, but I hate to think that there is something like Operation:Mindcrime or A Night At The Opera on the horizon and I'm going to miss it because I'm stuck listening to classic rock on the local radio station and have had my head in the sand.

I'm up for any suggestions! And it doesn't have to be metal. I enjoy a lot of music...

Thanks!

Jack White is the only relatively current artist I can think of who occasionally ventures into the classic territory you listed, though he ain't Queen, Maiden or Zeppelin. His new solo album is quite good, though his masterpiece is still the White Stripes' "Elephant," which is hardly new, but falls within the "newish"/last 10 years category. Muse also turns out some interesting stuff -- their last three albums are pretty good. I also liked Wolfmother's debut album. Also, Green Day is a polarizing band, but I think "American Idiot" was awesome.

The Black Keys make some nice blues rock. The album Brothers was a pretty big hit last year. Tighten Up is a great song.

Shinedown and Turisas were both bands that had a quick impression for me, altho been a while since I checked back (wrong mood).

Hey guys! Sorry, iv been super busy with preparing for my son's graduation party- after tomorrow, I'll sit down and read through- thanks for all the suggestions I see!!

I suggest you check out Mastodon's two latest albums - Crack The Skye and The Hunter. They draw influences from a number of classic bands, like Maiden, Metallica, Zeppelin, Rush, Sabbath, though they don't really sound like any other band. Crack The Skye is more proggish and epic - it's 50 minutes long but has only 7 songs. The Hunter is about 55 minutes long but has 13 songs. It's more catchy, songs are shorter but still epic and proggish.
Samples:

A band I really love is Tyr, a Faroese metal band. They've been active since 1998, but their first album came out in 2002 so that falls in your "past 10 years" category. Their earlier stuff is quite proggy and tends to be a bit overlong (imo). But I heartily recommend the album By the Light of the Northern Star (2009). I'm not sure how to describe their style other than Viking folk metal, even though they themselves disapprove of divisive labels. I love that they make metal versions of traditional Faroese folk songs and sing them in their native language, stuff like Turid Torkilsdottir are really beautiful and just evoke this great Norse atmosphere.

Here are some listening samples:

Hope you enjoyed :).

A few days ago someone directed me to a band called Spellblast, I've only heard 2 songs but it certainly seems listenable so far. They're an Italian band, with a Power/Folk metal blend.

This ones a bit cheesey but it's what I was shown first:

Other one I've heard:

Jack White is the only relatively current artist I can think of who occasionally ventures into the classic territory you listed, though he ain't Queen, Maiden or Zeppelin. His new solo album is quite good, though his masterpiece is still the White Stripes' "Elephant," which is hardly new, but falls within the "newish"/last 10 years category. Muse also turns out some interesting stuff -- their last three albums are pretty good. I also liked Wolfmother's debut album. Also, Green Day is a polarizing band, but I think "American Idiot" was awesome.

CFH, thanks for the tips- I've listened to a little Jack White and liked what I've heard so far-- I'll do some more looking into that. I agree with your takes on Wolfmother and Green Day-- I have both of them in my iPod listening queue.

@Travis, I haven't had a chance to look up Dredg, but I'll try to find some this weekend when I sit down to hunt up some tunes.

@Prowler, I do recall Onhell recommending Mastadon to me (one of the guys I work with is a pretty big fan.) I'll make a point to watch the videos you've posted and sample some of their recent music-- thanks!

@Natalie, I don't think I've ever heard of Tyr, so that is completely new to me-- I'll def be checking that out!

@CI, Thanks for the videos-- I think I remember someone speaking about Spellblast on here, I'll give that a listen.

Thanks for all the info and the video posts!! i'm all alone at work today, so I may try to watch them-- I never seem to have much time at home lately, but I really do appreciate the effort you've all gone through to help me!

Back