How many Iron Maiden live songs have you witnessed at (an) Iron Maiden gig(s)

How many have you ?

• Less than 15 songs

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 15-25 songs

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • 26-35 songs

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • 36-45 songs

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • 46-55 songs

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • 56-65 songs

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • 66-75 songs

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • 76-85 songs

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 86-99 songs

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • 100 or more songs

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Re: How many Iron Maiden live songs have you witnessed at (an) Iron Maiden gig(s

Forostar said:
Just in case, Albie (and maybe some others) I didn't mean to offend or judge people who haven't seen Maiden in ages.
'twas never a problem, Forostar. :)

Another little pointless piece of fact is that there were three occasions I had the pleasure of seeing them where they played material from their either upcoming or newly released album - and becuase I did not have those albums I was not familiar with half the set.

This happened at Rainbow theatre 1980 - loads of Killers tracks were played (along with the entire debut). I had the debut and one or two tracks recorded from the Reading 1980 BBC1 sessions (that has been put on the BBC Archives CD). So, the debut aside, all but the track Killers and one other (I forget - possibly Wrathchild) I did not know of.

It happened again on the World Piece tour when the album was released on the 16th and I saw them on the 26th of May 1983. I did not get the album until many weeks later.

Then again when I saw them at the Southampton Mayflower Theatre on the 20th September and the Album did not get released until the 1st October 1990 - so almost all the audience had no idea what the first two tracks were (although I did have a radio recording of Tailgunner), but when Wrathchild came on, the place was "rocking". I saw them once again on that tour at Wembley, 17th or 18th of December, but by then I had the album and knew all the words.

Re: How many Iron Maiden live songs have you witnessed at (an) Iron Maiden gig(s

Albie said:
'twas never a problem, Forostar. :)

Another little pointless piece of fact is that there were three occasions I had the pleasure of seeing them where they played material from their either upcoming or newly released album - and becuase I did not have those albums I was not familiar with half the set.

This happened at Rainbow theatre 1980 - loads of Killers tracks were played (along with the entire debut). I had the debut and one or two tracks recorded from the Reading 1980 BBC1 sessions (that has been put on the BBC Archives CD). So, the debut aside, all but the track Killers and one other (I forget - possibly Wrathchild) I did not know of.

It happened again on the World Piece tour when the album was released on the 16th and I saw them on the 26th of May 1983. I did not get the album until many weeks later.

Then again when I saw them at the Southampton Mayflower Theatre on the 20th September and the Album did not get released until the 1st October 1990 - so almost all the audience had no idea what the first two tracks were (although I did have a radio recording of Tailgunner), but when Wrathchild came on, the place was "rocking". I saw them once again on that tour at Wembley, 17th or 18th of December, but by then I had the album and knew all the words.

Interesting Albie :)
Can I ask you which Rainbow gig you've seen in 1980?
Was it the 21th of December (last gig of 1980)?

On Maverick's bootleg site there are different bootlegs of this gig and also another site makes me doubt which tracks were really played or not played on that gig.

Check:
http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/?url=tour ... link=tours
scroll to bottom

and:
http://www.ead666.com/Temp/Iron%20Maiden.html
http://www.ead666.com/Temp/Out/1980/198 ... on_v1.html
http://www.ead666.com/Temp/Out/1980/198 ... on_v2.html

My biggest doubt concerns "I've Got the Fire". Are you really sure they played it?

What do you make out of this? You were there ! :)

Forostar, of course I meant the current tour, I'm just confused (a regular occurrence with me :D).

Thanks for you help, you're a (Foro)star. I have voted :ok:

Forostar said:
Interesting Albie :)
Can I ask you which Rainbow gig you've seen in 1980?
Was it the 21th of December (last gig of 1980)?
Yes it was that one (the one one the "Early Days DVD"). I had just turned 16 when I saw it. :D

Forostar said:
My biggest doubt concerns "I've Got the Fire". Are you really sure they played it?

What do you make out of this? You were there ! :)
I say they played "I got the Fire" as it was played live a lot by them in those days (they always used to open their set with it). I was not, at the time, familiar with this track or with "Sanctuary" - but I do remember when the band came on we had one spotlight on Dave, and no-one else, as he played the opening bit of the opening song. Then, as the drums and the rest of the band came in, the whole stage was then lit up. That could either describe them opening with "Sanctuary" or "I got the Fire". I know "Sanctuary" is on the first track on the boot, but I can never be too sure if that was the opening track and, as I stated, they used to open with "I got the Fire" a bit back then. But we are talking 26 years ago. :)

Albie said:
Yes it was that one (the one one the "Early Days DVD"). I had just turned 16 when I saw it. :D
I say they played "I got the Fire" as it was played live a lot by them in those days (they always used to open their set with it). I was not, at the time, familiar with this track or with "Sanctuary" - but I do remember when the band came on we had one spotlight on Dave, and no-one else, as he played the opening bit of the opening song. Then, as the drums and the rest of the band came in, the whole stage was then lit up. That could either describe them opening with "Sanctuary" or "I got the Fire". I know "Sanctuary" is on the first track on the boot, but I can never be too sure if that was the opening track and, as I stated, they used to open with "I got the Fire" a bit back then. But we are talking 26 years ago. :)

That's why I thought you might be mistaken. Did you see those links I gave you?
Later, I'll check the mp3's of a bootleg that I have.
Also, when I look at all those setlists, they never opened with IGTFire.

Forostar said:
Also, when I look at all those setlists, they never opened with IGTFire.
I knew I had read it/heard it somewhere and it was on "Listen with Nicko - part 1" from the first Ten Years collection. He says:
'I've Got The Fire', it's an old Montrose song as I said, and Steve liked it so he recorded it live, and it used to be a set opener for the band in those days.....

I did look at the links and I could be wrong, but the way the band came on (as I described it), suggests they opened with either "Sanctuary" or "I got the Fire". As I was not familiar with either tracks at the time, I cannot be so sure - but "Sanctuary" was definitely played.

The songs I've heard live:

1. In 2003 when touring w/ Dio and Motorhead (EDIT: Give Me Ed... 'Til I'm Dead Tour)

The Number Of The Beast
The Trooper
Die With Your Boots On
Revelations
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Wildest Dreams
The Wickerman
The Clansman
The Clairvoyant
Heaven Can Wait
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
Two Minutes To Midnight
Run To The Hills

EDIT: Because they were sharing the stage, I did not hear 22 Acacia Avenue, Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter and Brave New World live as of this point!  Lucky Europeans heard these though. 

2. The 'Early Days' tour in 2005

The Ides Of March     
Murders In The Rue Morgue
Another Life
Prowler
The Trooper
Remember Tomorrow
Where Eagles Dare
Run To The Hills
Revelations
Wrathchild
Die With Your Boots On
Phantom Of The Opera
The Number Of The Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Running Free
Drifter
Sanctuary

EDIT: I actually screamed for them to play 22 Acacia Avenue, but alas once again I missed it.  I'll never hear this song live.

3. Promoting 'A Matter of Life and Death' this August

You know what the songs are if you've seen 'em live -- and if you haven't you probably don't want to know now anyway.  :p

I didn't care to order them.  Yes, they do repeat; your eyes are not playing tricks on you.

They were all in Toronto at two different venues.

I have heard 36 different songs played live in total and 47 songs in total if I counted 'repeats'.

I have heard Hallowed By Thy Name and Iron Maiden all three times.

My biggest disappointment was missing the 'Dance of Death' tour.

Genghis Khan said:
My biggest disappointment was missing the 'Death on the Road' tour.
It's called "Dance Of Death" tour  :smartarse:

SneakySneaky said:
It's called "Dance Of Death" tour  :smartarse:

My bad.  I was confuzzled.  I thought they named the tour after the DVD, or rather vice versa.  That's what happens when you miss a tour.  :(

Genghis Khan said:
1. In 2003 when touring w/ Dio and Motorhead

It was called the "Give Me Ed Till I'm Dead" tour, often abbreviated GMETID.

I see you also (like me) saw the short version of the setlist, missing "Heaven Can Wait", "Brave New World" and "Bring Your Daughter". The first two I had already seen previously, but the lack of BYDTTS means my count got lowered by one.

It also means that NPFTD is the only album for which I've never seen any of the songs performed live, at the time of that concert (since then, I've also never seen any AMOLAD songs live).

I've seen three tours: World Slavery, Somewhere on Tour (both in Kansas City), and AMOLAD (in LA/Irvine).  I calculate about 32 or 33 different songs (not counting repeats). 

SinisterMinisterX said:
It was called the "Give Me Ed Till I'm Dead" tour, often abbreviated GMETID.

I see you also (like me) saw the short version of the setlist, missing "Heaven Can Wait", "Brave New World" and "Bring Your Daughter". The first two I had already seen previously, but the lack of BYDTTS means my count got lowered by one.

It also means that NPFTD is the only album for which I've never seen any of the songs performed live, at the time of that concert (since then, I've also never seen any AMOLAD songs live).

I just started listening to Maiden when that tour was around -- so I went to it without actually knowing its name and I did not bother to look it up.  Heaven Can Wait is on my list.  I remember watching the whole road crew come on stage and chant during the melodic "Oh oh oh" sequence.  The audience loved it and so did I.  I was disappointed because they did not play Brave New World and I had expected it.  Given the fact that three bands performed, Iron Maiden played quite a few songs.

I have heard songs from all albums except for 'No Prayer...' and 'The X Factor'.  The former I'll hear in 2008, and hopefully the latter eventually.

READ FIRST: If you are reading this on the 23rd and you are off to see them tonight, I have placed no spoiler suggesting part of the set-list tonight. If you are reading this after the gig, then the spoiler tag would be superfluous - hence the omission. ;)

My count has suddenly shot up nearly 30% from 41 to 53 (I really need not give the exact percentage increase). And it is the second time I have seen them live where they have played every track from one album (although the Rainbow gig did not follow the same track/set-listing as the debut album).

Caught Somewhere In Time
2 Minutes to Midnight
Children of the Damned
Stranger In a Strange Land
Wasted Years
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Walking On Glass
Heaven Can Wait
Phantom of the Opera
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Be Quick or Be Dead
Number of the Beast
Wrathchild
From Here To Eternity
Wasting Love
Tailgunner
The Evil That Men Do
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Fear of the Dark
Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter
The Clairvoyant
Heaven Can Wait
Run To The Hills
2 Minutes to Midnight
Iron Maiden
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Trooper
Sanctuary

...I missed the last few songs of the Somewhere On Tour show because I was a youngster and walked out before the encore...but have since tracked down a recording and can now enjoy the complete concert in my loungeroom...I just wish they hadn't dropped Sea of Madness from the set the night before this show.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Walking On Glass

That's technically not a song, but a guitar solo/duel with a melody line based on the song Walking In The Air.

I might as well give you an updated list with the number of times I heard the individual songs.

1. Iron Maiden (5x)
2. Wrathchild (2x)
3. Children Of The Damned (2x)
4. The Number Of The Beast (2x)
5. Run To The Hills (2x)
6. Hallowed Be Thy Name (5x)
7. The Trooper (2x)
8. Two Minutes To Midnight (5x)
9. The Evil That Men Do (5x)
10. Fear Of The Dark (5x)
11. Different World (5x)
12. These Colours Don't Run (5x)
13. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns (5x)
14. The Pilgrim (3x)
15. The Longest Day (3x)
16. Out Of The Shadows (3x)
17. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg (5x)
18. For The Greater Good Of God (5x)
19. Lord Of Light (3x)
20. The Legacy (3x)

Doesn't look too impressive, but hey. No prize in guessing which tours I was at and how many shows I attended at which tour :p

Back