Help create a travel guide to Maiden relevant places in & around London

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
It would be cool if we all could bundle information in this thread to have something like a Maiden related travel guide in the end. I once went to the Ruskin Arms decades ago (closed down for a long time yet) but that was pretty much it. Of course there are many more places of Maiden relevancy, not only pubs, but maybe references to the street were Davey grew up or whatever. The Rainbow still exists if I'm not mistaken. So, what else comes to your minds all?

Cart and Horses
Basically a Maiden museum

40 Steele Road, Leytonstone
Where Steve lived when he started playing bass.

St Nicks All Saints Church, Poplar
Site of the first Maiden gig

The Scarf
Rehearsal space 1976-1978, located behind Mile End Underground Station. Many songs from the first two albums were written here!

The Widsor Castle Pub, Kensington
First Maiden gig outside the east end of London, July 8th 1976.

The Crown, Hornchurch
A pub where Dave Edwards and Dennis Stratton regulary play to crowds.

The Brixton Academy
Frequently played venue in the 90's and the 00's

Roffey House, Isle of Dogs
Where Bruce Dickinson lived in the late 70's and where the video to 2 Minutes to Midnight was recorded.

Walthamstow Assembly Hall, Walthamstow
Last ever gig with Terry Rance och Dave Sullivan, November 18th 1976.

Hammersmith Odeon, London
Beast over Hammersmith and parts of Live after Death recorded here.

Endymion Road - Finsbury Park
Served as inspiration for the background of the first Iron Maiden album.

Heston Road, Hounslow
Bring Your Daughter and Tattoed Millionare was written in Janick Gers house in the area

Etchingham Court
Served as inspiration for the background of the Killers cover

The Underworld, London, England
Site of many Maiden related solo gigs. Harris appeared onstage with the Blaze project on December 22nd 2000.

O'Dowds pub in Plumstead
Site where Thunderstick played his last show with Maiden, sometime in late November 1977. Apperently Steve sung as Dennis Willcock had left the band.

Last edited:
Cart and Horses
Basically a Maiden museum

40 Steele Road, Leytonstone
Where Steve lived when he started playing bass.

St Nicks All Saints Church, Poplar
Site of the first Maiden gig

The Scarf
Rehearsal space 1976-1978, located behind Mile End Underground Station. Many songs from the first two albums were written here!

The Widsor Castle Pub, Kensington
First Maiden gig outside the east end of London, July 8th 1976.

The Crown, Hornchurch
A pub where Dave Edwards and Dennis Stratton regulary play to crowds.

The Brixton Academy
Frequently played venue in the 90's and the 00's

Roffey House, Isle of Dogs
Where Bruce Dickinson lived in the late 70's and where the video to 2 Minutes to Midnight was recorded.

Walthamstow Assembly Hall, Walthamstow
Last ever gig with Terry Rance och Dave Sullivan, November 18th 1976.

Hammersmith Odeon, London
Beast over Hammersmith and parts of Live after Death recorded here.

Endymion Road - Finsbury Park
Served as inspiration for the background of the first Iron Maiden album.

Heston Road, Hounslow
Bring Your Daughter and Tattoed Millionare was written in Janick Gers house in the area

Etchingham Court
Served as inspiration for the background of the Killers cover

The Underworld, London, England
Site of many Maiden related solo gigs. Harris appeared onstage with the Blaze project on December 22nd 2000.

O'Dowds pub in Plumstead
Site where Thunderstick played his last show with Maiden, sometime in late November 1977. Apperently Steve sung as Dennis Willcock had left the band.
This is great, thanks for sharing. Knew a few of them but loads I didn't.

I live round West Ham way so am heading up Cart and Horses later - always good on Maiden London show days. I go in a fair bit, it's a great boozer. Was worried when they shut for refurb and it didn't open again for ages but I really like what they've done with it, and that they put loads of live music which is great to see.

We could add Kingsbury Circle too. This is where Neal Kay was located with his Bandwagon Soundhouse. I don't know what the place is nowadays like, I visited it 1991 for the last time yet. The Bandwagon was on the south-east side of the circle traffic. When heading northwards out of downtown London it was right hand side. Someone might wanna go and have a look. Still I'm very grateful for having been down Manor Park for a visit at the Ruskin Arms every now then when it still existed.

This is great, thanks for sharing. Knew a few of them but loads I didn't.

I live round West Ham way so am heading up Cart and Horses later - always good on Maiden London show days. I go in a fair bit, it's a great boozer. Was worried when they shut for refurb and it didn't open again for ages but I really like what they've done with it, and that they put loads of live music which is great to see.
I got loads more. Just need to have a look at the exact locations!

Great list. It could also include such "ghost locations" as the Ruskin Arms and the Marquee (two clubs nowadays destroyed and replaced by flats).

Great list. It could also include such "ghost locations" as the Ruskin Arms and the Marquee (two clubs nowadays destroyed and replaced by flats).
To the Marquee I've been too, saw some concerts there in the early 90s. Didn't know it doesn't exist any longer :-(

Back