Helloween & Gamma Ray

Re: Helloween & Gamma Ray - current poll: "Land Of The Free" (G)

Interesting, this has to be the most similar lists from all the albums.  :)

@Wasted155, if you read this: check out this album if you haven't done it yet. One of GR's best ones, featuring Michael Kiske as backing vocalist in a few tracks and on lead vocals on one track.

It's actually on my 'to do' list for tonite.  But thanks for the heads up!  I'm looking forward to it!

1. Rebellion in Dreamland - brilliant beginning, memorable hooks, excellent guitar work throughout
2. All of the Damned - great singing and melody and probably the best riffing on the album
3. Land of the free - Great chorus, catchy melody, powerful riffing

Re: Helloween & Gamma Ray - "Keeper of the Seven Keys - The Legacy" (H)

Album 9: Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys - The Legacy (2005)

I haven't had a chance to listen to Land Of The Free... I just got it yesterday...

*ahem* I know you'll like it.

This is a bit weird, since I think the best songs are probably the first three, in that order.  King for a 1000 Years is easily the best on the album (one of Helloween's best ever I think), though. So
1. King for a 1000 Years (yes, it's written like that!)
2. The Invisible Man
3. Born on Judgement Day

I'm doing this from memory, though; I haven't listened to the album in ages.

I decided.

1. Pleasure Drone (terrible lyrics and title, but this song is incredibly catchy, with superb melodic bass lines, chorus, and above all a super-solo and cool rhyhtm guitars underneath. It hardly can get any better for my taste.)

2. My Life For One More Day (strong chorus and very strong instrumental part - that part is Helloween in true trademark style.)

3. The King For A 1000 Years (Just a bit better than Occasion Avenue which is great as well with its imo stronger chorus and atmospherical mid-piece and above-average solo part. I still decided on King.. because of that cool solo section and the part right before and after that.)

This should have been a single disc album without at least 4 tracks out of these following 5 tracks from CD 2:
2,3,4,5 & 6

edit: In case you like to check this out:

Kai Hansen performing with Iron Savior, Wacken 1998:
Atlantis Falling

On drums Thomas Nack, who also played on Gamma Ray's Insanity And Genius & Land of the Free

Re: Helloween & Gamma Ray - current poll: "Sigh No More" (G)

Album 10: Gamma Ray - Sigh No More (1991)

Gamma Ray's "The X-Factor"? Gamma Ray's "Burnt Offerings"?
At least this album is one of my personal favourites, and absolutely my favourite of the Scheepers period.
The production could have been better, but there's a certain atmosphere that does is for me.
Dark, serious, sometimes even pessimistic lyrics, inspired by the Gulf War. Quite different from the rest of the catalogue. The same could be said when Maiden and Iced Earth did their sidesteps.

On "Sigh No More" we find beautiful acoustic guitar parts, fitting excellent to the songs and mood of the album.
There are several strong tracks. I think there's only one or two weaker tracks, but they're still listenable. All in all, a solid and cohesive hard rock album in which the band must have put a lot of emotion en effort. 

My top three is kind of in random order. I like them all very much:

1. The Spirit
The forgotten track, I guess. The album closer, with its strong lyrics..

Our ignorance will drive us on, the world remains obscene
But the spirit of a free world is the final dream

..and nice melodic hooks and a solo that gives me the shivers. Also those "desperate" vocals at the end are pretty convincing!

2. Dream Healer
The most metal song of the album. Dark, exciting atmosphere and what a riffs!

3. Changes
Featuring the "Sigh No More" lyric. A slow album opener, but quite exciting, building up the tension, setting the tone. Catchy riffs (also in the pre-chorus), and later a nice solo and the fast end. Great track.

Wasted155 said:
I haven't had a chance to listen to Land Of The Free... I just got it yesterday...

Did the album make such an impression that you lack words to express it?  :p
The silence is as deafening (or silent?) as your stereo set!  ;)

Re: Helloween & Gamma Ray - "Sigh No More" (G)

My brother got Gamma Ray's Hell Yeah: The Awesome Foursome new DVD for Christmas, and it's a great DVD.  We've watched half of it (had to quit around 1 PM because everyone else went to sleep...) and it's quite different from Maiden DVDs.  The camera concentrates on individuals for longer than half a second (especially during the solos), there's some nice video effects, and it's a very small, intimate venue.  Also a very great setlist, especially the last seven: Beyond the Black Hole, Valley of the Kings, Somewhere Out in Space, Land of the Free, Rebellion in Dreamland, I Want Out, and Send me a Sign! :yey:

Helloween has turned into complete trash, recycling the same crap over and over. Unfortunately, no one honestly reviews there work, 99% of the feedback for Gambling with the Devil was positive. Hansen should disassociate himself from them, especially Weikath. Along with his 'motivational' songs which probably belong on sesame street, he has constantly been putting religion into the music, and got rid of Grapow and Kusch because of the darker element they brought to the music.

Yeah, it's a bit weird to see people on Encyclopedia Metallum who review each Helloween album 100%.  Most of their stuff recently is very meh.

Re: Helloween & Gamma Ray - "Chameleon" (H)

Not even Onhell?

Well here goes my pick:

1. Giants (best metal song released in 1993 - amazing riffs and solos - extraordinaire! ;) )
2. I Believe
3. First Time

Helloween & Gamma Ray - "Master Of The Rings" (H)

Album 12: Helloween - Master Of The Rings (1994)

My pick:
1. Where The Rain Grows
2. Sole Survivor
3. Still We Go

Re: Helloween & Gamma Ray - "Land Of The Free II" (G)

Album 13: Gamma Ray - Land Of The Free II (2007)

Re: Helloween & Gamma Ray - "Land Of The Free II" (G)

1. Into the Storm
2. Leaving Hell
3. Rain

It's hard to say.  There are a lot of good songs on this album, but not many excellent ones like on earlier albums.  I just threw in 3 fairly catchy ones.

I've been giving this album a few spins recently, so I've made up my mind a bit more.  Edit as of a week or two later:

1. Into the Storm
2. Real World
3. Insurrection (rip-off some parts but it's still a good song, bar the intro)

Back