Health, vaccines, conspiracy theories

Perun

His name struck fear into hearts of men
Staff member
I think this deserves its own thread.

Toddler dies of measles in Germany as outbreak fears grow
The current outbreak of measles in Germany has claimed its first life in the capital, Berlin. It remains unclear how the 18-month-old child initially contracted the disease.

Berlin's Health Senator Mario Czaja (CDU) confirmed on Monday that an ifant had died from the infectious disease in the hospital on February 18.

Measles has been spreading throughout the capital since October, with an outbreak having also been reported in nearby Leipzig. In the capital alone, some 574 cases of measles have been recorded since last October, equating to the largest outbreak seen in Berlin since the introduction of a series of medical reforms with the Infection Protection Act in 2001.

Experts said earlier this month that the spike in the number of measles infections in Berlin had been traced to unvaccinated refugees. At least two cases, however, appear to have originated from the United States. Public health officials in California are also currently battling a measles outbreak.

On Monday, a secondary school in Berlin-Lichtenrade was also closed as a precautionary measure against the highly contagious disease, which, in severe cases, can be fatal.

In light of the current outbreak, a political debate over compulsory vaccination has been reignited. Whilst health officials and members of Germany's governing grand coalition have supported plans to make the MMR vaccination compulsory, the Greens and members of the Left have opposed the idea, saying that the measure would "go too far."

"Immunization skeptics can't be made to rethink by force - but instead through comprehensive, independent advisement," Katja Dörner, leader of the Bundestag's Greens fraction told German newspaper Die Welt.

According to the recommendations issued by Germany's Vaccination Committee (Stiko), children should receive their first measles vaccine between the age of 11 and 14 months. The immunization is usually given as part of the combined measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) shot. A second vaccination follows between 15 and 23 months of age.

Efforts by health experts to encourage immunization against measles have continued to be hampered, however, in recent years due to disputed reports suggesting that the MMR vaccine could cause autism.

The allegation was made in 1998 by Andrew Wakefield, a British medical practitioner, whose study has since been withdrawn.

In Germany, the immunization rate currently lies at around 90 percent - some 5 percent below the goal set by Germany and other European countries to eradicate the disease by 2015.

---

This is quite literally making me sick. The topic of the measles outbreak here in Berlin has received a bit of media attention lately, as has the outbreak in the US. To me, it speaks volumes about what people consider as being 'critical' or 'skeptical' - that is, not believing something commonly held to be true and refusing to be convinced by it. I call this denial, not skepticism, because the latter word means that you are ready to be convinced. What amazes me even more is that one bad medic's article seems to be worth more than generations worth of immunology and medical practice. Have we really come to this?

The alternative business, and those who buy into it, are skeptical of established medicine, but they are not skeptical towards anything that claims to be "natural" and "without chemicals". I'm sure you could convince many to drink something containing curare by telling them it was a "natural remedy helping your muscles relax".

I think the reason why people choose to believe this kind of stuff, is that everybody like to feel smart - to feel that they know something that not everyone else knows. And of course, if you know something that is contrary to what everyone else thinks, you have to be extra critical and intelligent, right?

As I recall, there was someone on this forum who was opposed to vaccination. Hopefully this news will change minds. It's really sad that these kids are suffering (and dying) as a result of the obviously poor choices by seemingly well-meaning and otherwise intelligent parents.

The sad thing is there are hucksters out there knowingly peddling this crap to believers with no regard of the fact it can have this kind of a result.

The sadder thing is the parents whose zealotry puts the lives of children at risk, including their own. It's the same mindset that drives religious atrocities.

Don't look at me, I think vaccinations of a certain medical necessity should be mandated.

I don't understand these people at all, maybe my opinion is too hard-lined but vaccination should be mandatory.
It's not only themselves or their kids - that's what they don't get - viruses can mutate if it's allowed to thrive. Then we're all fucked.

I think I got vaccinated for all the mandatory stuff, but the last one I remember was in 4th grade, so 13 years ago. I don't think I ever got a flu shot though; last time I was supposed to, some kid took the shot before me and needle got stuck in his arm so I got really scared and refused to take it. My dad did though and so did his wife and my brother and they all got flu few months later, whereas I didn't :D

That (stupid) attitude is like a fashion and is present in many more countries in the Western World than we might think of at first. Some parents think is a matter of individual choice rather a measure of public health. So in cases relative to public health in the community, of course vaccination should be mandatory. Children are not property of their parents.

Don't look at me, I think vaccinations of a certain medical necessity should be mandated.

Yeah, and that will antagonise all those self-declared skeptics who believe in freedom of choice for everything, etc.

Oh yeah?

ghandi_large.jpg

I thought there would be something about vaccines on that site... but I didn't expect that.

Back