Have any members of the band studied history?

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
I'm curious about whether any members of Iron Maiden have made a serious study of history. THere seems to be a plethora of songs that deal with historial topics.

Off the top of my head, there's:
The Clansman - the Scottish fight for freedom against Edward the Longshanks
Passchendale - Infamous WWI battle
The Trooper - the Crimean War
Run Silent, Run Deep - UBoats and whatnot
Aces High - the Battle of Britain
Powerslave - Egypt's pharonic system
Ghost of the Navigator - Homer's epic "The Odessy"
Tailgunner - bombing of Dresden

the list can go on....

All this leads me to believe some of the band has a solid historical background

any comments?

None claim to have made any studies in any particular field, except maybe Bruce. He went to uni, studying sod knows what (probably testing hallucinogenic substances from the chemistry lab! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

I suppose that Harris is simply interested in History, without having studied it formally. And a good job he does with his songs! [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Bruce Dickinson studied history, but according to himself he wasn't a very good student. He spent all his student money on buying PA for his band (Shots) and suddenly realised he was going to have his final exams in two weeks and had to write 6 long essays until then. Still he managed to get a 2:2 degree, and that was what everyone else got anyway.

Back