1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardest Maiden song to play?

Discussion in 'Musicians Discussion' started by Mega, Feb 1, 2010.

1. AlexS

AlexS Trooper

The two songs I've had the most trouble learning so far:

"Number of the Beast" -- just the intro & outro riff. I've got it down now, but when I first started the project of learning a bunch of Maiden songs, my picking forearm would cramp up about halfway through the intro ("Just what I saw ...") from all the rapid downstrokes. I wore a compression sleeve on my right arm when practicing it for a few weeks, and finally my stamina built up and I can do it with the band no problem. Fortunately, as Dave, I get to set the tempo and I'm not at the mercy of the drummer.

"Caught Somewhere In Time" -- that fast gallop is another forearm muscle killer. And the lead is tricky, the chord progression underneath is weird and changes rhythm a couple times. That's fortunately not on the setlist for my first gig with the band, because I need to work on it a lot more before it's ready.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. Collin

Collin Jambi

My left hand used to cramp up when playing that but I eventually got used to it. My picking hand never really did as I actually use a lot of upstrokes when playing. I also thought that CSIT was one of the easier songs I've learned, it's a very fun one too!

3. AlexS

AlexS Trooper

I "cheated" on that riff at first by switching to alternate picking when my arm cramped up, but then it got tricky to mix the single-string and 2-string parts and it didn't sound right. I could hide a bit behind "Adrian" once he came in, but it's better to just do the "right" way (I mean the way that sounds right; if you can get all the nuances with alternate strokes I salute you) all the way through.

Collin likes this.
  4. Deanatron

Deanatron Can I play with Agnes?

I'm trying to get that riff up to speed at the minute. When sufficiently warmed up I can sometimes hit it, but other times I just switch to alternate picking.

5. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

I thought Back in the Village riff was difficult at that speed
    Purgatory is quite hard to get to sound properly

6. Collin

Collin Jambi

To Tame a Land is now the hardest for me. I'm pretty sure that there is alternating key changes in it, which is rare in a Maiden song. I know that it starts in E Minor but then it switches into something else, it could be F Minor. Not sure but if I knew then the song would be much easier.

I've been doing very good lately with most Maiden songs. I've completely mastered Powerslave, The Red and the Black and The Book of Souls, and I'm pretty good at most songs. My biggest struggles are TTAL, the intro of Out of the Silent Planet and the intro of Paschendale.

7. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

The intro to Paschendale is easy. To Tame A Land on the other hand, takes time. It must surely be the Maiden song with the most key changes. Although Aces High probably is the one with the highest key change/running lenght ratio ... Also, the key changes in TTAL have more variety, and until you have learned the song properly they feel unpredictable.

By the way, those melodies with different key changes (5:38-6:43) must have served as inspiration for the post-solo part in Ghost of the Navigator (5:03-5:40).

Forostar likes this.
  8. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Intro to Paschendale is very simple. I'm pretty bad at tapping but it's a very easy tapping pattern.

9. AlexandertheMariner

AlexandertheMariner How do I metal?

The timing was weird at first for me but once I got it, i agree it's fairly easy

10. AlexS

AlexS Trooper

Update: I did get the intro / outro riff to Number of the Beast into solid shape, all downstrokes, without my forearm seizing up, for my first gig with the Maiden tribute band. And at the last rehearsal, I started off the song at what felt like the tempo from the studio version, played it through just fine, and afterward the drummer asked me to start the song a little slower next time. Which I'm perfectly happy to do.

But I've been procrastinating and procrastinating on learning the lead to Caught Somewhere In Time. It's not on the setlist for the next 2 gigs, and there are 3 others for me to learn between now & then, so I'm gonna have to get pretty disciplined to put in the work on CSIT.

11. Bassman61

Bassman61 Prowler

For me, a bass player, I have trouble with certain parts of a few songs.

The opening to 'The Clairvoyant'...for some reason I have a hard time sticking to the rhythm...it always feels like there should be another beat in there.

Phantom of the Opera...the part where Steve plays that repetitive solo loop before the long jamming guitar solos start. I've tried a couple different fingerings but 'close enough' is the best I can get.

Transylvania...it's easy enough to finger but the tempo in some parts is too fast to play cleanly.

Sign of the Cross...I love that part from 5:48 on (from the RIR version)...dum, da-da-dum, da-da-dum, da-da-dum. Awesome. Easy for the bass player, but only if your drummer is good enough to keep up. Time signatures go from 4/4 then rotate between 5/8, 11/8, 5/8, 11/8, then 7/4 (or 6/4? 13/8?) before returning to 4/4. (You can briefly see Nicko counting to himself on the Rock In Rio video.)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017