1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardest Maiden song to play?

Discussion in 'Musicians Discussion' started by Mega, Feb 1, 2010.

1. pilau

pilau Trooper

Uh, SMX, I would like to correct you on some small, small, tiny detail here. Adrian Smith does not need.

2. Moonchild

Moonchild Educated Fool

I think:
    Back In The Vilage, Sea Of Madness, few more...

3. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

so true. i remember the first time i played along with the song. My rythym on the breakdown was very bad . And SMX, do you play guitar or just bass?

4. IronMaidenZoë

IronMaidenZoë Prowler

Being a drummer the intro to Where Eagles Dare is quite hard.  When I first started playing drums I tried to learn Run to the Hills straight away, not as easy as I thought it'd be back then haha.

5. SinisterMinisterX

SinisterMinisterX Illuminatus Staff Member

I play bass, drums, guitar and piano/keys.

Bass has been my main instrument for the last 24 years.

I played drums in high school, dropped it for a couple decades, and took it back up a couple years ago. In 2010 especially, I've played way more drums than anything else.

I play a competent rhythm guitar. If I write a tricky solo, I can learn it - but I can't improvise that kind of stuff. When I improvise a solo, it's blues.

Piano since Carter was president. Again, I'd call myself competent, but I don't play it very often these days.

6. czgibson

czgibson Invader

I think the single hardest Maiden riff for guitar may be the opening one in 'Wasted Years'; any tips would be appreciated. Beyond the obvious and essential one beginning with 'p'.

Steve Hackett is a legend, but he was not the first to tap. Here's Roy Smeck tapping on a ukelele in the 1930s. The technique goes back further than that - Paganini is said to have done something resembling it on the violin.

7. Mosh

It's basically a desending E scale.

8. Jeffmetal

Jeffmetal Ancient Mariner

2 handed tapping was first made, as the story goes, by brasilian violonist Paulinho Nogueira, in the late 50's/early 60's. Also, the 7 string guitar (acoustic) was invented in the 20's or 30's by a brasilian, in the middle of the country.

9. Mosh

Is there a specific part you're having trouble with? Or just learning the notes? Because I found that one to be extremely easy.

10. SinisterMinisterX

SinisterMinisterX Illuminatus Staff Member

I didn't say he was the first to do it. Far from it. I said first to record it, and for electric guitar I'm still right so far as I know.

On electric guitar, Hendrix is reported to have done tapping live, but it was never recorded. Remember, Jimi invented everything. He had H's permission, Adrian Smith was busy climbing the Himalayas in the late 60s.

11. Mosh

Was Hackett before or after Ace Frehley? Not to familiar with him :( Because Ace had been doing it when KISS started too. But with a pick. I also read somewhere that EVH was the first to do it without a pick.

12. czgibson

czgibson Invader

Your right hand is obviously much better than mine! My metal playing needs a lot of work. Which Maiden riffs do you find harder?

As far as rock guitar goes, you may be right, but a fair few jazz guitarists were tapping on electric guitars from the 1950s onward. Check this out.

13. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

14. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Yup, especially the heavy metal palm muted riffs after the tapping part  :D :shred: :shred:

15. Mosh

I haven't come across a maiden riff that was really hard. I can usually play them after the first or second tries. However, The instrumental interlude before the first solo in The Longest Day does tire the arm. Out of curiosity, how long have you been playing?

16. Babo 91

Babo 91 Nomad

i personally think the wasted years intro is easier to play than smoke on the water. seventh son of a seventh son is a very hard song to play

17. czgibson

czgibson Invader

Twenty years!

18. Mosh

Wow that's alot!  :ok:

19. czgibson

czgibson Invader

I am terribly old (well, getting there) and I can usually play most things, given time. Fast picking is something I've neglected, so things like 'Wasted Years' give me no end of trouble.

20. Mosh

Ohhh it's picking. I misread that you said right hand. Sorry. Yea it requires some fast picking.