Guns 'N' Roses

Very much agree on your second point there Mosh.

Also, at the moment I'm OK with it just being Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy. Neither Adler nor Sorum were very prominent members anyways, although of course I wouldn't mind if either of them came back. It's just that it doesn't matter too much...

Very much agree on your second point there Mosh.

Also, at the moment I'm OK with it just being Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy. Neither Adler nor Sorum were very prominent members anyways, although of course I wouldn't mind if either of them came back. It's just that it doesn't matter too much...

Adler was not a prominent member? Ok, its all about Axl and Slash, but naw. Adler is a big part of that vibe. Ill buy a ticket but Adler and Sorum were prominent motherfuckers. Rocket Queen. Great tune, great lyrics, great chick gettin fucked. Fact. Where is it without the drum beat? It makes the song. And also, them boys might not have taken so many drugs without Adler in the band. And that is a major factor. And Sorum may well have played on Dont Damn Me. Nuff said.

Certainly not full but good enough for me. I saw DC last year, no Malcolm, no Phil Rudd. Still an unreal show, the main ingredients were there. Same with GnR IMO. And this line up pisses all over the previous incarnation.

Adler was not a prominent member? Ok, its all about Axl and Slash, but naw. Adler is a big part of that vibe. Ill buy a ticket but Adler and Sorum were prominent motherfuckers. Rocket Queen. Great tune, great lyrics, great chick gettin fucked. Fact. Where is it without the drum beat? It makes the song. And also, them boys might not have taken so many drugs without Adler in the band. And that is a major factor. And Sorum may well have played on Dont Damn Me. Nuff said.

Of course both Adler and Sorum were important to the band and I do love them both. But watching the videos from the Troubadour on April 1st it just dawned on me that I'm OK with it being "only" Slash/Duff/Axl...they were the three who always stole the limelight back in the day too.

But you do agree on Mosh's second point. Which takes us back to the current line-up again. Can these people make interesting music?

Yes they are great guns n roses, seen them 3 times without slash and duff, still pretty good, but they will go and sell out arenas and stadiums around the world now, still a great band! Just think if they had not split up in between they would have been bigger than kiss, Rolling Stones etc! Still prefer iron maiden though. Adler and sorum were great members, just over did the drugs

But you do agree on Mosh's second point. Which takes us back to the current line-up again. Can these people make interesting music?
I'm not counting on it, but it's definitely possible. Chinese Democracy had promising moments and I really enjoyed the first Slash album. I never followed up on the other Slash albums but the reception seems pretty positive.

And Civil War and some other strong songs did not have a Stradlin credit. Still, I wonder if they can up with enough strong stuff without him.

IMO they couldn't on every post-Appetite release, even if Stradlin was present. Adler was the missing link. ;-)

Honestly most songs credited to Stradlin (most of UYI 1) are ones I don't care for.

Can these people make interesting music?

This remains to be seen. The bar is ridiculously high though because everyone is going to compare whatever they come up with to Appetite and the Use Your Illusion albums. It's going to be almost impossible to fulfill those expectations. I think they can still come up with something good. Like Mosh said, some of the stuff on Chinese Democrazy was not bad. Depends on the chemistry I'd say after this tour.....

Can these people make interesting music?
Sure they can. It's only a matter of what they choose to go for: Chinese Democracy-ish modern/more experimental stuff or straightforward hard rock like Slash's solo stuff. I'd rather have the former tbh.

Dunno if you listened to Chinese Democracy, but these two songs are among their best IMO:

There Was A Time has a solo that can easily stand up to their best solos like Sweet Child, November Rain, Estranged etc.

Chinese Democracy-ish modern/more experimental stuff or straightforward hard rock like Slash's solo stuff.

Ultimately I hope they can achieve a sort of symbiosis between the two. Duff's punk roots and Slash's rock n roll was what kept Axl on the ground during Use Your Illusion and what also gave us some of the best tracks on those albums because both of those elements of garage rock and grandiosity was present.

Also my favorite song on Chinese is Better...I think that song rocks hard!

Sure they can. It's only a matter of what they choose to go for: Chinese Democracy-ish modern/more experimental stuff or straightforward hard rock like Slash's solo stuff. I'd rather have the former tbh.
Same here. Guns n Roses have always shown potential for something greater than typical hard rock, I hope they continue that if they make more music.

Of course the more likely thing for this scenario is probably going to be a sad attempt at Appetite 2.

Dunno if you listened to Chinese Democracy, but these two songs are among their best IMO:

There Was A Time has a solo that can easily stand up to their best solos like Sweet Child, November Rain, Estranged etc.
I heard it all during the last survivor but will do again!

Plus IMO, Chinese Democracy is a way better album than UYI I or II. I think CD would be better even if they compiled the best songs into just one UYI. Way too much filler on those albums.

I partially agree. For me it goes UYI II > CD > UYI I

Back