Guitar Solos - The Book of Souls

Nice work on here. The presence of wah is very noticeable and makes more difficult to recognize the player, IMO.

Has anyone noticed over time that all three guitarists (especially Adrian) use less repeating licks and more 'runs' in their solos. Guitarists will know what I mean

Shows a lot more creative and technical skill

I think Adrian is the one among them who has developed the most technically since the early days, But creatively, I think he was just as good on Somewhere in Time. But I understand your point and agree to some extent.

I think Adrian is the one among them who has developed the most technically since the early days, But creatively, I think he was just as good on Somewhere in Time. But I understand your point and agree to some extent.

SIT is where Adrian peaks at that repeated lick style of playing. Wasted years, CSIT and ATG are the best examples. His solos were brilliant but the structure very predictable, you would get a melodic phrase then a repeated lick, melodic phrase, repeated lick and so on. His solos nowadays are very unprectiable.

Adrian has improved massively over the years. Just compare his BOS or EOTC solo to his basic pentatatonic lick solos off ides of March for example.

Dave peaked around BNW and his solos have been more inconsistent since imo

I thought the solos were too short in AMOLAD. Solos in TFF were a good. On TBOS I think they changed things and kept them interesting and full of emotion.

Production of solos is unusual. Similar to live recordings, most of Dave's are in the left channel & Adrian's at about the 10:00 or 11:00 position (between far left & center)...but almost all of Janick's are in the center channel. Don't know why Kevin did not complete the live feeling (which it seems he was trying to do with Dave & Adrian) by putting Janick's in the right channel.

Production of solos is unusual. Similar to live recordings, most of Dave's are in the left channel & Adrian's at about the 10:00 or 11:00 position (between far left & center)...but almost all of Janick's are in the center channel. Don't know why Kevin did not complete the live feeling (which it seems he was trying to do with Dave & Adrian) by putting Janick's in the right channel.
Guitars are always L-center-R but on different songs Jan and H switch right and center positions... like Shadows Of The Valley

I noticed a clear left and right of center of the solos in Speed of Light. Not really in the other tracks. Will check again when I think about it.

Posted this is the ToAC thread but non-musicians might not understand what I'm getting at...

Daves solo is shockingly bad on this one. I can sort of hear what he's trying to do, it sounds like he's trying to be the play the polar opposite of Adrians solo. Adrians is very loud, in your face and aggressive with a heavily processed tone. Daves is quiet, timid, and his tone is very dry.

Unfortunately his solo sounds like a beginner who has just learnt his first scale and is trying it out over a backing track that he's never heard before and is just trying to find notes that work. The first note of the solo just doesn't work well, he bends up to a B as the key is changing back from D minor to A minor. When the key changes like that you want a good solid note (maybe an A, E or C), a note that would work in the previous key but works well over the first chord of the new key.

Sorry for ranting but I don't feel this solo works. Adrian makes Dave sound like an amateur.

Anyone else feel the same way or is it just me being picky ?

Back