Great Opening Lines

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
The rules are simple: I post the opening lyric of a song. You guess the artist and song title. First one to guess correctly posts the next opening lyric.

No Iron Maiden songs allowed. We'd guess them far too easily.

No Google allowed. Either you know it or you don't. And when you're posting, don't pick lyrics that are too obscure. We want a challenge, but not something impossible.

First lyric:
"The light in the window is a crack in the sky"

Given the title of the thread, I was expecting things like, "Hey good lookin', is this seat tooken?" or (perhaps the greatest of all time) "Who wants to sex Mutombo?"   Sadly, it's just opening lines of songs.  

Good game, though I have no idea which song SMX is referring to.  

cornfedhick said:
Given the title of the thread, I was expecting things like, "Hey good lookin', is this seat tooken?" or (perhaps the greatest of all time) "Who wants to sex Mutombo?"   Sadly, it's just opening lines of songs.  

Yeah, that's the thing. My favourite opening line ever would have to be "Good news everyone, I taught a toaster to feel love!"

I knew I'd heard it, but I Googled to check. Agree with Mega - it's no wonder why it didn't snap to my mind, but I know the song.

Rotam said:
One of the best songs they had done.  :huh:

Highly known band, nothing obscure.

Well, I haven't listened to most of very popular bands, so I just don't know the answer.

If it's popular, someone has to know it.

LooseCannon said:
I knew I'd heard it, but I Googled to check. Agree with Mega - it's no wonder why it didn't snap to my mind, but I know the song.

I also should have known it (Googled too), but more by chance than anything I didn't, because I don't have that particular album despite having many others from the same band.

Invader said:
I also should have known it (Googled too), but more by chance than anything I didn't, because I don't have that particular album despite having many others from the same band.

Despite the fact that the singer is somewhat limited, and a couple of funny songs, in my personal opinion is in my recommended albums' list. Especially their reissue. And this song rules...  B) 

I don't know it the song is popular, the band it is. I think.

don't pick lyrics that are too obscure. We want a challenge, but not something impossible - So, if this is an obscure lyric, what do you consider not obscure ?  :blink:

I wouldn't say it's obscure, it's a fairly popular song from a band that practically created a genre.

And it's almost a live setlist staple for another band of that genre; at least during the two shows I've seen from that band, they played it and the audience really wanted it.  So quite certainly not obscure.

LooseCannon said:

So nice of you to agree with me, but I never posted here.

Helloween - Ride the Sky

That's about as obscure as a tiara on the pope's head.

To get this thing in gear, here's a very, very easy one, and I'm posting it purely for the kick of seeing if there is anyone out there who doesn't know it:

"Auschwitz, the meaning of pain, the way that I want you to die!"

Too easy. I'll put it in spoiler tags to see if anyone asks you for hints to solve it.

Slayer - Angel of Death.

Edit: And since I was so quick, I guess I'm allowed to come up with a new one:

Seek him here, seek him on the highway

Of any suggestion for any opening line so far mentioned, only Perun's would I have been able to answer - if only I was around earlier today.

Eddies Wingman said:
Seek him here, seek him on the highway

Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather

(might I add it contains one of the greatest lines in heavy metal history ever - there's many who tried to prove that they're faster, but they didn't last and they died as they tried!)

Every time I leave you say you won't be there - and you're always there.

Back