Genghis Khan

How good is Genghis Khan on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Like with Transylvania, I am changing this one to 8/10, though I consider it the slightly better song due to the atmosphere.

With my like for Transylvania and Losfer, and my hatred for Ides, this is often the instrumental I forget about. And to be fair, I don't find it to be particularly memorable. Not that it's bad, since the 1 minute mark really kicks the song into gear. Like Transylvania, it seems a little confused, but it doesn't really set the atmosphere like Transylvania does. It's just noise, albeit good noise.

5/10.

RTC's Maiden Ranking:

1: Phantom Of The Opera: 9/10
2: Remember Tomorrow: 8/10
3: Murders In The Rue Morgue: 8/10
4: Wrathchild: 7/10
5: Transylvania: 7/10
6: Strange World: 6/10
7: Sanctuary: 6/10
8: Another Life: 6/10
9: Prowler: 6/10
10: Genghis Khan: 5/10
11: Iron Maiden: 5/10
12: Charlotte The Harlot: 5/10
13: Running Free: 4/10
14: The Ides Of March: 2/10

I was texting someone when this came on and I only noticed 2:30 into the song. Should tell you what I think about it.

Actually, I'm really displeased, because Genghis Khan could have been an awesome song. Instead, it isn't. Another 6/10.

7/10

Poor sequencing rears its ugly head again with Genghis Khan: an otherwise cool instrumental that should have been placed towards the back half of the album. There is no reason to have an instrumental within four tracks of another instrumental if you are a band known for having vocals in your songs. That said, Clive Burr is astounding on this track. I’ve been told that Genghis Khan is one of the hardest Maiden tracks to drum, Nicko or no Nicko. In fact, Burr sounds incredible on this entire album. It’s sad to know that he would decline so much in later years, because he showed a lot of potential on these early Maiden albums. Before the song ends, we also hear a riff that will become famous on their next album as one of the climactic moments of Hallowed Be Thy Name. I can’t decide if that’s cool or uninspired.

• One of the most "killer" rhythm sections in Maiden's history. Rapid bass playing, accompanied by Clive Burr's brilliant rapid drumming.
  • I love the chaotic approach that carries the mid-section. Incredibly energetic.
  • The transition from the chaotic part to the slower heavy riff could've and should've been more seamless. The transition is a good idea but the way it's done takes away from the song's biggest asset: Momentum.
A strong 7/10. Closer to an 8 than it is to a 6.

Every member but Paul is shredding. Very great stuff here. At 1:47 we can hear that riff that has been tirelessly repeated in many Maiden songs.
8/10

I've always liked this song but I kind of forgot about during the early 00's for some reason and rediscovered it a couple of years ago. I just love Clive's drumming here and the rough second riff, this is one of those songs I'm having a hard time sitting still while listening to, and it doesn't feel like a regular song sans singer in the way that Transylvania sometimes feel. This stands on it's own as an instrumental song and a very, very good one at that. I wish they had made more music like this later in their career, to be honest. In the end though, an instrumental no matter how awesome, will never become the kind of true classic that warrant the top grade But damn if it isn't one of the most overlooked songs.
9/10

Signature Maiden. Sublime instrumental with an excellent last one and a half minute. That bass line, those different riffs by Dave and Adrian and on top of that that cool lead by Adrian. This groove sounds like a preview of Hallowed Be Thy Name. Clive is really shining on this. Probably my favourite ending of all Maiden songs, and by far my favourite song from Killers.

Steve Harris in the interview with John Stix, made in 1983

Interviewer John Stix: "Genghis Khan is the second instrumental on Killers. The sharp break in the B section is like shifting gears without a clutch."

Steve: "That freaked out our producer as well. It was sort of a change at right angles. We really liked that element of surprise. This was another song where there could have been a vocal melody on top, but it felt good as an instrumental. A vocal would have cluttered it up. Originally it was written to depict the feeling and sound of Genghis Khan's army going to battle".

John Stix: "There are no solos"

Steve: "It wasn't a conscious thing, but it worked out that way. It felt better not to have any guitar solos on this track."

My favourite (rock/metal) instrumental EVER (Transylvania is just so simple compared to this riff-orgy). As most of you already said, the last minute is grandiose, with an incredible atmosphere. The song is greatest moment of Killers' A side.

This song is definitely something I can go back to multiple times and not find it boring, at least for two thirds of it. The song starts off with something that sounds like a army marching into battle which is fitting considering the person this song is named after. After that, the song changes and becomes a very fast groove. This is probably my least favourite part of the song since it does nothing more than make me wonder how long they can keep up the groove and it feels much longer than what it really is, which makes the other parts feel short because they flow so well, compared to the fast section. The drumming is amazing during the entire song, though. Actually, this may be the best Clive Burr drum performance, in my opinion.

The song changes again with a very, very brief transition into my favourite part of the song. There's a sweeping majesty to this section and this one instead shows us what Genghis Khan has done in all of his glory (or dishonor). This section also foreshadows some upcoming songs, one of them being really, really popular with Iron Maiden fans. You probably know what song it is...

This song gets a 9/10 because how groovy it is.

Last edited:
This song is definitely something I can go back to multiple times and not find it boring, at least for two thirds of it. The song starts off with something that sounds like a army marching into battle which is fitting considering the person this song is named after. After that, the song changes and becomes a very fast groove. This is probably my least favourite part of the song since it does nothing more than make me wonder how long they can keep up the groove and it feels much longer than what it really is, which makes the other parts feel short because they flow so well, compared to the fast section. The drumming is amazing during the entire song, though. Actually, this may be the best Clive Burr drum performance, in my opinion.

The song changes again with a very, very brief transition into my favourite part of the song. There's a sweeping majesty to this section and this one instead shows us what Genghis Khan has done in all of his glory (or dishonor). This section also foreshadows some upcoming songs, one of them being really, really popular with Iron Maiden fans. You probably know what song it is...

This song gets a 9/10 because how groovy it is.

I'm actually glad Steve didn't write any lyrics for that song. Maybe he would have written some lines about how great a warrior and king he was, forgetting about the systematic use o terror in warfare. The same goes with Alexander : he gives a very positive (and western oriented) vision of a king whose attitude in warfare is quite questionable. The instrumental gives a perfect rendition/evocation of an army in campaign, without having to deal with tendencious matters.

Good background music with some better-than-good moments, but not much more than that.

5/10

The best Maiden instumental. A strong 9, musically it's an eight but a plus point for Martin Birch production and the miracle it does on the last, groove part. The feel of this was never recreated live.

Back