1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Sports Appreciation Topic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Forostar, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Excited about some sport event or result that doesn't have its own topic yet (and you feel it doesn't deserve an own topic)? Post here!

Right now I am chuffed about this historical development:

Event: World Women's Handball Championship in Denmark
    Quarter final: Netherlands - France: 28-25!
    [​IMG]

31-20For the first time ever, a place in the semi finals of the World Cup! Next opponent: Poland, already beaten in the group stage with 31-20.

Wingman, how do you root Norway's chances in the QF vs Montenegro? Piece of Cake?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

Definitely not piece of cake. Montenegro won against Norway in the 2012 European Championship and were a worthy adversary in the London Olympics the same year. They are a very good team. Also, they are not afraid to play dirty.

EDIT: Tough game, very tough, but hard work from some and a couple of standouot performances saw Norway through to the semis. Why can't we be this good in other team sports ...?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Forostar likes this.
  3. Forostar

Norway > Montenegro!
    Romania > Denmark

But close calls!

Norway 26 - Montenegro 25
    Romania 31 - Denmark 30 (Romania wins after extra time)

4. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

Well, we knew Norway was > Montenegro.

5. Dityn DJ James

Dityn DJ James A coma stole my name.

As far as college football goes, Michigan State (my favorite team) is playing Alabama in the college football semi-finals on New Year's Eve. So, it should be a very good game.

6. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

That should be a good game indeed. I really hope they expand the playoffs to at least 6 teams in the near future.

7. Dityn DJ James

Dityn DJ James A coma stole my name.

That'd be awesome, there are so many good teams out there that deserve a shot at the national title.

8. Dr. Eddies Wingman

It seems Poland's performance against Russia was a one-off. Netherlands are steamrollering them.

9. Dr. Eddies Wingman

And they're in the final. Congrats @Forostar!

Forostar likes this.
  10. Forostar

And good luck Norway! May we meet in the final!

Dr. Eddies Wingman likes this.
  11. Dr. Eddies Wingman

I hope so too :) but Romania are proving themselves as a great team so far. Plenty of good finishing.

12. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Extra time will be played!

13. Dr. Eddies Wingman

And Netherlands v Norway it is!

Brigantium likes this.
  14. Forostar

Cool. And what a thriller it was!

15. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Also, three first spots in the men's Super G race at Val Gardena yesterday to Norwegian skiers. The first two were the usual suspects (Svindal and Jansrud) but #3 was the up-and-coming Alexander Aamodt Kilde. What a day! Can't recall such a team performance by Norwegian alpine skiers in my lifetime, except the alpine combination (downhill/slalom) in the 1994 Winter Olympics.

Forostar likes this.
  16. Dr. Eddies Wingman

The final minutes away. May the best team win.

17. Forostar

That'd be yours! Congrats already!

18. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Thanks! I was surprised by the difference between the teams in the first half, it seems like the Dutch players suffered from nervousity and weren't up to their best.. Norway switched off too early for my liking though.

19. Forostar

The Dutch had their worst game of the tournament. And they had the shakes in the first half. But Norway was so strong. Well deserved!

And reaching the final is so unique, still... I think they instantly made the sport more popular out here.

20. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Norway are now doing well in men's handball again. At least through from the first group stage in the European Championships, which is an improvement over the last few tournaments (knocked out in said group stage in the 2012 and 2014 Euros, didn't qualify for the last two World Championships). Still remains to be seen whether the 6th place from 2008 can be bettered, but after they beat Croatia on Sunday, nothing should be ruled out.

Forostar likes this.