General fan vibe during the Blaze days

I saw Maiden on TXF tour. Me and my pals (who, like me, had all seen Maiden prior many times) were all impressed with Blaze's performance but this was the first (and only) time I saw Maiden in a club. Did not enjoy. The stage was so low I could only see the tops of their heads. Sounded great though!

As far as the mood, the sound (as well as the packaging) was depressing. But I love TXF! Very glad I got to see that material live! You need to remember what Steve was going through at the time. He had lost 1. Bruce, 2. Martin Birch, & 3. his wife (was going through a divorce), & 4 based on the smaller venues, a lot of fans! Not a good time for the band.

BNW was an uplifting return to form.

I thought the X-Factor was great and loved Virtual XI, was listening to both albums a lot at the time, so wasn’t hoping for Blaze to go and for Bruce to come back. In fact with Accident of Birth out, I felt that I had two bands that I enjoyed at that time. Was less keen on Chemical Wedding if honest, a bit too heavy for my tastes.

Went to see Maiden on both tours with Blaze, gigs at the Barrowlands in Glasgow, capacity at about 2000, considerably down on Hall 4 of the SECC that they played on the Real Live tour, my first Maiden gig. Think that is about 8000 capacity, though it wasn’t quite full as the grunge thing was in full flow and had put a dent in the popularity of Metal. I saw Megadeth at the Barrowlands in 1997 and it was half empty, a lot less than the two Maiden gigs there with Blaze, and this was the classic ‘Deth line-up. So most bands were feeling the pinch at the time. I saw Bruce on both the Balls to Picasso & Chemical Wedding tours, each in 500-ish capacity venues.

I thought the two gigs with Blaze were immense, was great to be in a smaller venue, very loud and intense. Had no problem with the singing and performance of Blaze in the moment of the gig. Listening back in the cold light of day you can certainly hear the imperfections and his limitations vocally, but whilst jumping up and down at the front with the band blasting out the PA at the gig, it was great. I do though think they could have chosen a better setlist for him to sing, to have added a few more from the Dianno era, I feel, would have helped him out.

I didn’t really see the change coming, expected them to do a third album with Blaze. In magazine interviews Bruce had certainly warmed to the idea of singing with the band again, even if just guesting at a festival. When he first went solo, naturally, he was completely against it. Was only starting to use the internet through university at the time and did notice the odd rumour on message boards regarding the change. Was surprised, but have to say as much as I liked Blaze, was delighted when I logged on to see the re-union, partially the fact that Smith was back, as I was always a big fan of the songs that he wrote. Though I was disappointed that this meant there wasn’t a third Psycho Motel album, as I really liked the second one, thought the singer for that was great, shame not to hear anymore from him.

I have to confess at the time I thought releasing Silicon Messiah on the same day as Brave New World was a good move, as it would get mentioned in articles about Maiden in the magazines. I think it is half a good album, with the track, Stare at the Sun, being a classic and one of the best Blaze has ever sung on. I went to see Blaze on that tour at the Cathouse in Glasgow and you’d be lucky if there was 20 people there, though the band came out and did a great show.

Saw Maiden on the X Factor in a small venue that's now gone in Dublin, great gig. The vibe at the time as I remember it was the venue was much smaller than the previous Dublin gig, which hadn't a great attendance either, and I remember in the queue outside it seemed a lot of people where there for old times sakes, I got the vibes that a lot of people hadn't even heard the X Factor, and more people where wearing tshirts for then popular bands than is usual these days for a Maiden gig.

Missed Maiden on the Virtual XI tour as they never played Ireland on that tour (at the time I fully expected they never would play Ireland again, if you told me then that 19 years later they'd be not only still going but back playing a sold out gig in a done up Point Depot with nearly double the capacity, I would have laughed at you, both for Maiden being back and the point getting done up!)

This was the days before the ryanairs of this world and I was still in school so travelling wasn't an option, but I should have made the effort, it's the only tour I've missed since the first time I seen them in 93.

Same here. I saw TXF tour but missed Virtual XI. It was not intentional however. I had not quite caught onto the internet yet and kept awaiting an announcement of the show, but they skipped Houston (where I live). Turns out they did play cities around me but I did not find out until later :mad:

One of my earliest memories of the internet was in 1999 upon finding IM's page and seeing the announcement that Bruce and Adrian were back and were touring. Houston (again) was skipped but I saw they were playing Dallas and me and some buds went to that amazing show. If it weren't for the internet, would not have known!

Just listened to virtual xi for the first time in many years. I won't be listening to it again soon. Few decent tracks. Futurereal, clansman. Angel and the gambler officially my favourite worst song lol. Blaze whilst giving it his all was I thought struggling throughout and the vibe of the sound of the band seemed to reflect this. Not happy times? Makes the turnaround in BNW all the more remarkable and yep proves that Bruce is the man!

BNW was an uplifting return to form.

Hm hm. I'd use popularity instead of the word 'form'. McBrain, Harris, Gers, Murray were in the great form in 1998, certainly better than in 1996. Dickinson had his form since mid 90s and Smith was in better form in 1998/99 than in 2001 or 2003.

One of my earliest memories of the internet was in 1999 upon finding IM's page and seeing the announcement that Bruce and Adrian were back and were touring. Houston (again) was skipped but I saw they were playing Dallas and me and some buds went to that amazing show. If it weren't for the internet, would not have known!

Same here, I won't ever forget that. I've gone online for years, but this was when I was old enough to scramble my own PC, and use a pupil/student affordable hourly rate. The whole room/desk/PC setup is engraved in my childhood memory, i still remember the site design and I still remember it was early spring morning when I saw the news.

Mates at school didn't believe me they got back.

For me, it wasn't just the Blaze era. That was kind of the last straw, but for me, personally Maiden had lost a lot of my interest for all of the 90's.

I discovered Maiden in 1982, when I was 15.
I loved them. They were my favorite band. I bought tons of magazines just for stories and pictures of them.
Bought all their albums, even tracking down the singles so I could hear the B-sides. (which was no small feat in my area as we didn't really have any good record stores).
Saw them on every tour from 83-88 even though it meant traveling more than 2 hours one way to get there.

But then the 90's came. I bought NPFTD and just couldn't get into it. I played it at least a dozen times in the car, but not one song hooked me. I would revisit a few more times over the months but still nothing.
Then FOTD came out. Same thing. Just couldn't get into it.
The albums just didn't sound 'new' or 'exciting' to me.
I spent more time listening to Metallica's black album, and GNRs Use Your Illusion than I did the new Maiden stuff.
Though I still loved all the classic Maiden.
When X-Factor came out, not only could I not get into it, I just had a hard time even getting through it.
Where before it was decent music that just didn't grab me, now it was slow, plodding, and dark. Not what I wanted.
I forced myself to listen to it a few times, but eventually just gave up.
VXI was even worse. I think I have maybe listened to the whole thing 4 times since it's release. I just don't like it at all.

For me, personally, I can't say if it was entirely the music, or if it was mostly caused by changes in my own life.
In 1988 I met the woman that would soon be my wife. In short order we were married and had 2 kids. I was working and had a family to take care of. Music was not nearly as big a part of my life as it was before that.
I literally only went to 2 concerts total in the 90's.
One being the Kiss reunion tour, the other was a 1999 Alice Cooper concert that I got free tickets for, and was my son's first concert.
I didn't even know about 91, 92, 96, 99 concert dates in my area.
I did hear about the 98 show, and even considered going, but it was a work night, and I had zero interest in seeing the band with Blaze fronting them.
Then, at the end of 1999, I finally got internet. One of my first stops was the Iron Maiden official site.
Which is when I learned about the reunion and upcoming new album. I heard some of the stuff, and loved it!
And that was when Maiden became a big part of my life again.
I love BNW and DOD and still think those are the best albums since the reunion (closely followed by BOS)

I enjoy the Blaze material when performed by Bruce.
Then again, I also loved Bruce's solo stuff, and listened to that a whole lot more than the Maiden stuff with Blaze.
Tattoed, Balls, and AOB were always in the car for steady rotation in the tape player.
(I still think 'No Lies' should be a Maiden tune)

Oddly enough, I also don't hate bootlegs from the Blaze era. I enjoy quite a few of them, even with the mistakes.
I think that the material is much better live than it ever was in the studio. Maybe because live it has more energy than I ever felt listening to the albums.

Oddly enough, I also don't hate bootlegs from the Blaze era. I enjoy quite a few of them, even with the mistakes.
I think that the material is much better live than it ever was in the studio. Maybe because live it has more energy than I ever felt listening to the albums.
Does this make you regret missing the 98 tour?

There is a far better soundboard of that show, I've started AV mixing and will upload to Youtube when it's done. I don't know how this boot surfaced even in the first place, it seems like VHS in preparation, dropped because Blaze got fired. Unfortunately the audio boot is still not of production quality, but far better than original audio track.

I'm really curious if Blaze footage will end up on a history DVD.

I'm really curious if Blaze footage will end up on a history DVD.

I would like to see some of the live material being released, either as music or video. The Gothenburg 95 live versions sound amazing!

It wasn't. Kåren in Gothenburg is a 2000 capacity venue and it was sold out. They played Cirkus in Stockholm as well, which can take 1800 people.

In 1998 though they were back at a bigger venue when they sold out Johanneshov in Stockholm - 8 000 tickets. http://www.dn.se/arkiv/teater/musik-jubel-for-iron-maidenstjarna/
I think that was the biggest headline show during the Blaze years, excluding festivals.

http://www.gp.se/nöje/historien-om-maiden-1.1154744

"Då hette arenan Kåren med en publikkapacitet på knappt 1 000 personer."

I assume that you know Swedish :) Odd with contraciting sources like that. I will keep an eye open for more sources on this!

I will keep an eye open for more sources on this!
I wouldn't trust that article too much:
" Från det att Dickinson hoppade av 1993 till hans återkomst 1999 spelade Iron Maiden i Sverige endast två gånger (Kåren, Göteborg och Cirkus i Stockholm 1995).
The writer didn't know about the sold out show at Hovet in 1998...

Last edited:
Also, I became a fan of Maiden in 1992, when I was a teenager; Maiden were still very popular then, FOTD was in the national top 3. But I can assure you that in 1995 they weren't popular AT ALL anymore, even among my mates who were into rock -- they listened to bands like Metallica, Soundgarden or RATM (all of which I liked as well).

I generally agree with this, but I recall Man on the Edge being a bit of a hit when it was released, people I knew who generally weren't Maiden fans liked the tempo of it, and Maiden were on MTV's Most Wanted playing it and Wrathchild, very good versions too.

Back