1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Of Thrones

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Night Prowler, May 14, 2016.

1. Shadow

Shadow Deluxe Edition Staff Member

I think many of the flaws of this season have their roots in structural problems that have been present from the start of the show, namely that it's trying to tell two different types of story at the same time and never quite resolves the conflict between them.

On the one hand, there is the entire plotline with the white walkers, looming over the rest of the story from the very first scene. Following the typical fantasy pattern, the threat is initially taken seriously only by our protagonists, led by a brooding hero with mysterious parentage, who must convince everyone else before it's too late. You know all along that this is going to be the endgame of the show. Similarly, you know that Daenerys and her dragons are going to invade at some point. So you have two plot strands that are building to something quite specific (and taking forever to get there).

Then there is the war for the kingdom. This part of the story has no real structure at all - indeed, its unpredictability has been one of the show's main selling points. Characters scheme and fight and die and you keep watching simply because you want to know what happens next. Unlike the stories of Jon Snow and Daenerys, though, it doesn't naturally build towards any particular conclusion. There's no reason why the struggle for the Iron Throne can't go on indefinitely, as politics do. The only reason why it can't is that, inevitably, viewers will eventually tire of it all. Speaking for myself, I think that by season five it was starting to feel rather repetitive.

What's happening now is that after six seasons of focusing mostly on the political soap opera (and for good reason, that's where the fun has been), the writers find themselves having to actually provide the endgame they've promised from the start, except Daenerys has only just now reached Westeros and most of the characters still have no clue about the white walkers. So they have to tell a ton of story in only a few episodes and there's no way to do it without taking some massive narrative shortcuts.

2. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

Great post.

My wife equated the divergent/delayed GOT plot points to "If George Lucas spent 110 minutes on Luke on Tattooine and only 15 minutes of him on the Death Star rescue". Suspense is great, but they're not leaving much room for an adequate pay off...unless the plan is simply to culminate in a 'Helm's Deep' style battle with zombies and dragons with the winner as last-person standing (which would be disappointing).

3. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

Well put. These issues were present much, much earlier in the books, but the series managed to deal with them better just because they knew it was going to be longer than three seasons if they were going to follow the books. The subplots have been much better written in the series as a result. Fans will probably take offense at calling it a soap opera in a fantasy setting, but in reality it might as well be Emmerdale with dragons. The narrative techniques of building suspense with little affecting the conclusion (or lack thereof) are about the same.

I believe Game of Thrones would be equally succesful without the overarching generic fantasy plot (which was never done that well in either books or series and which has never been used as one of the main selling points - it's been so obvious fans 'solved' what mysteries there were way, way back).

It is also the reason why I can't see this series standing the test of time, even if I enjoy watching it.

4. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

Just watched the penultimate episode and, man, the ending might just be the most awesome moment in the series so far, IMHO. I really needed that. Especially with
    the rest of the episode being so-so and with Daenerys turning megalomaniac and even more blindly arrogant, Tormund turning into a comic relief, Tyrion turning creepy, Stannis turning in his grave and Arya turning into Rorscharch, I was getting kinda concerned.

But otherwise, honestly, the more I think about it, the less I like it (the episode). Not only it's so rushed it's getting laughable at this point, but there are some serious WTF moments there.
    I think I might accept the fucking teleporting everywhere and taking it as a necessary evil. But the knee-bending, the absolutely absurd fight between Arya and Sansa that made no fucking sense at all, the fact D & J are so lovey-dovey despite knowing each other for, like, a week at most...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  5. kingzcq

kingzcq Prowler

Online rumors that the story of the eighth season ahead of time leaked it? I am looking forward:dancinggeek:

6. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Sounds unlikely. Are they not currently writing the script as they go along?