Forum cover band song #2 - call for musicians

Not that I mind recording with a click track, but if we can make do without one i would prefer that.

I like Maiden's approach- let the music have a natural ebb and flow. It serves their sogwriting well. I can always do stick clicks during non-drum passages that can be cut out in the final mix. If the drums are laid down first then everyone else can use that as a reference.

Not that I mind recording with a click track, but if we can make do without one i would prefer that.

I like Maiden's approach- let the music have a natural ebb and flow. It serves their sogwriting well. I can always do stick clicks during non-drum passages that can be cut out in the final mix. If the drums are laid down first then everyone else can use that as a reference.

I'm mainly concerned with intro clicks so we nail entries together. Or anytime like the middle of Alex where we have a few seconds rest with nothing. We nailed the beginning of Alex because we had a click, and botched the middle because we didn't have one there.

I'll be making click tracks for the songs I drum on. For this type of recording, I believe it produces superior results. I'm not a fan of stick clicks, unless Yax can get them out of the mix convincingly.

I'm mainly concerned with intro clicks so we nail entries together. Or anytime like the middle of Alex where we have a few seconds rest with nothing. We nailed the beginning of Alex because we had a click, and botched the middle because we didn't have one there.
This should be easier for Paschendale, since those morse code hits are there. I don't think we'd need any extra clicks would we? Just a straight drum track.

Also if we do Paschendale, I call the intro guitar part. :D

Yes, Paschendale would be easy. A section I'd be concerned about is something like the middle of Sign of the Cross, where I don't think stick clicks would work in those long spaces. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would be hard for Yax to take out stick clicks and leave the cymbal work. Nonetheless, our experience with Alex shows we will need some kind of click there to keep together.

Reactions: Yax
A quick note to anyone who wants to learn Paschendale: remember to watch the rhythm on the first series of loud chords, after the first vocal lines. It's different than the rest of the song. The first chord is on the downbeat, right on the one. That same rhythm for the rest of the song starts on the upbeat after (one-and).

Yes, Paschendale would be easy. A section I'd be concerned about is something like the middle of Sign of the Cross, where I don't think stick clicks would work in those long spaces. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would be hard for Yax to take out stick clicks and leave the cymbal work. Nonetheless, our experience with Alex shows we will need some kind of click there to keep together.
Maybe we could generate a click track for that? If we tackle it in sections like you said, we could treat that as the start of a new section and generate a click for it until the full band comes in. Record bass for that first and then whoever does that guitar part comes in after.

My thoughts?
When the Wild Wind Blows

YES YES YES. Original key is totally fine. I would love to chew into that bluesy vocal part towards the end with some Russell Allen runs!

Sign Of The Cross

Yes! In the original key.

2 Minutes To Midnight

Yes! Half step down, please.

The Wicker Man

Yes! Full step down, please! And I'd like to do the solo. Possibly just the rhythmic pattern part that bookends it and not the full thing, but we'll see.

Here's another idea... this may be a bit monumental, but would anyone like to have a crack at Paschendale with me?! :D

I won't lie, that might be beyond my vocal ability. If we took it down a full step I might be able to do it, but I can't really promise it. That song's a lung-stretcher for sure.

Maybe we could generate a click track for that? If we tackle it in sections like you said, we could treat that as the start of a new section and generate a click for it until the full band comes in. Record bass for that first and then whoever does that guitar part comes in after.

Yes, that's exactly a target for a section break. Once full band enters, we should be fine. If @Lego doesn't like automated clicks, then here's my recommendation:

Stick click into opening (rock) section. I can work on a keyboard intro for Yax to paste later. Stop at the break... (5:34 after the hihat hits)

Stick click all the way through freaky-time-sig section so the rest of us have a beat, then come in with your drums at full band entry. Go until the next tempo change. (7:44, after the hemiola, going into the fast part). Then, give Yax an overdub for cymbal work in the quiet section.

The fast riff that repeats 4 times before the guitar solo will need to be recorded as a separate section. The tempo changes going in and out of it come out of nowhere; we won't be able to nail them without being in the same room.

The guitar solo section is all one piece, including that last melody where it seems to slow down. That's not a tempo change, that's going to half-time. And this piece has to continue through the end of the song. Lego slows us down into the chorus, we have to follow his lead there.

Note that the final chorus has a further ritard at the end with only guitar and vocal. We'll need a guitar part laid down there and Brett will have to follow.

Final consideration: the opening and closing "seven saintly shrouded men" sections. No drums there at all, I'll make some click tracks.

That's a total of six sections for Yax to stitch together.

Yeah, I kind of agree. If I remember correctly, Adrian actually recorded some parts in Drop D, which would be bringing it down to C...

Oh well, if y'all really want to do Paschendale I can sit it out and wait for the next one.

I'd like a shot at Paschendale vocals. I can do better than the recording above, where playing bass at the same time messed me up. That's saying something: I've always been a natural at singing and playing together. I breeze through Chili Peppers and laugh at Who songs. I'm even half decent singing other Maiden. Paschendale is just that much of a monster.

I can't hit the high harmonies in the final chorus properly but I can hit the rest. Won't be as good as Brett, but I am a singer of some sort and would love to sing my favorite Maiden song.

Also we are working on multiple songs at once right? So Knick won't really have to sit out, he can just work on the other songs.

Plus always room for more guitar! :D

wait for the next one.

I don't know that Paschendale is "next" - we'll be working on a few I think, since we'll all be free to do tracks at different times. I'll be working on Wild Wind drums and Sign of the Cross first as those will be the hardest for me.

I can't drum 2 Minutes To Midnight very well, Lego is better for that one. Wicker Man is a maybe, I'll have to try it out. We also may have Foro at some point for either of those if he wants them. From his videos, I think Foro might have an interesting jazzy take on 2 Minutes.

I am now focused on a less oblvious TXF song that I would like to drum on, but I'd like to practice for a longer while, before I decide to make a (test)recording.
I also have a No Prayer song that might suit me.

I can't drum 2 Minutes To Midnight very well, Lego is better for that one. Wicker Man is a maybe, I'll have to try it out.
I tried 2 Minutes but found it hard to do well. Wicker Man's chorus is beyond my capacity with its bassdrum work.

That's OK, but I don't want to disappoint you if it turns out that it won't be happening because of whatever reason. Usually I have more time in the weekends for this stuff but since the next covers my birthday, I am not sure if I'll have this sorted out soon. I hope to make a decision/recording mid July, the latest.

Blood on the World's Hands is the one I'd really like to have a go on. Public Enema Number One is another.

Last edited:
Back