Forum cover band song #2 - call for musicians

I kinda want a properly recorded acoustic kit. Who on Maidenfans plays it is of no importance to me, but it has to be a properly miked up kit as far as I'm concerned I don't particularly care what song, what tuning or who plays what as long as I get properly recorded drums, guitar (line), bass and vocals.

So I'll just sit back, relax and wait for some new tracks to mix. :D

Last edited:
:help2:

I think it's cool that as many as possible participate in this project. Since this is the Maidenfans.com band....and that goes not just for drummers but guitar players/singers/bassists as well, whatever little someone can do...surely there must be a Maiden song for them to participate in :D

Right now I got my drums set up at a practice place and I don't have any mics or anything..So I need to ask around and borrow stuff first which may take some time....

There is also @Lego by the way...Who, I know, already records stuff for his band.

Cheers Sixes! I do indeed- I actually rehearse at a friend's recording studio as well. I'd love to record some drums for this project, count me in if no one else has offered to play the tubs!

I kinda want a properly recorded acoustic kit. Who on Maidenfans plays it is of no importance to me, but it has to be a properly miked up kit as far as I'm concerned I don't particularly care what song, what tuning or who plays what as long as I get properly recorded drums, guitar (line), bass and vocals.

So I'll just sit back, relax and wait for some new tracks to mix. :D
I've got a 1984 Ludwig maple kit and a full set of Paistes and access to a pro studio, how does that sound?

@Forostar - can you record a test for @Yax to play around with and see if your recording setup jives with his mixing? (I'm not very production-minded, please excuse my poor descriptions).

Since we have potentially 3 interested drummers, how about we vote on the songs and then leave it up to @SinisterMinisterX, @Lego, and Foro as to who has the interest/time to record that song? We could do this on either a song by song basis or map out a list of songs/players. This way, each drummer (and other musicians) could get the most enjoyment out of each song (i.e. playing the ones they most want to play).

I'll try to do some test recording.

Nice idea to do more different songs and use different people, because that would be in line with:
I think it's cool that as many as possible participate in this project. Since this is the Maidenfans.com band....and that goes not just for drummers but guitar players/singers/bassists as well, whatever little someone can do...surely there must be a Maiden song for them to participate in :D.

I agree. I think it'd be cool to get as many people involved as we can, make it a real community project. And if someone wants to take a stab at drums, I don't think they should be rejected because they have an electric kit.

@Forostar
Since we have potentially 3 interested drummers, how about we vote on the songs and then leave it up to @SinisterMinisterX, @Lego, and Foro as to who has the interest/time to record that song? We could do this on either a song by song basis or map out a list of songs/players. This way, each drummer (and other musicians) could get the most enjoyment out of each song (i.e. playing the ones they most want to play).
I like this idea! Each drummer can play on a tune that interests them and fits their style the most.

That said, I know my limits. I was recording some stuff and noticed that I find hard to keep these "bare" drums tight. So if I participate, I need to work on that. Not good enough means no participation. Lego (and guess Sixes as well) are more experienced (and I expect better in Maiden), so they certainly should have a go.

Meanwhile I want to find out on which song I lay my hands (and feet).

Well since Lego is willing and able (and already has a recording studio to his disposal) I think he should be the one laying down the beats on the next couple of tracks. So now it's just finding out which songs you wanna do this time :)!

That would also leave enough time for Foro and me to practice some Maiden songs and maybe get proper recording gear etc...

Reactions: Yax
Well since Lego is willing and able (and already has a recording studio to his disposal) I think he should be the one laying down the beats on the next couple of tracks. So now it's just finding out which songs you wanna do this time :)!

That would also leave enough time for Foro and me to practice some Maiden songs and maybe get proper recording gear etc...
I'm totally open to sharing the drum throne! I'd hate for one of you to miss playing a song you really wanted to participate in!

Regarding song selection, if we are doing a Blaze tune I think it would be awesome if we could pull off Sign of the Cross. If anyone here is into synthesizers we could have them add the chanting "monks" at the beginning of the tune.

It seems like everyone has an interest in doing a Blaze era song for our next track, so how about to simplify things we all vote on a Blaze song for this next go around?

Virtual XI songs shouldn't be too hard to play on drums, I mean, Steve isn't such a good drummer anyway :p

Guys, let's remember something critical. We're not performing in the same room. So, we'll need to prepare a reference / click track. If I'd done that properly on Alex, that breakdown in the middle would have been tight. Anything that requires playing together in order to get right is out completely, although I can't think of any Maiden that would be impossible that way.

However, long multi-part songs are probably best tackled in sections, and let Yax stitch it all together. Anything like Sign of the Cross or Wild Wild has breaks we should take advantage of.

Tuesday, I'll be starting work on some drums - sharpening up The Clansman, trying out Wild Wind. I'll also start re-learning Sign of the Cross on bass and @Lego can work up those drums.

I suggest that this thread be devoted to whatever song starts coming together first, and then a new thread for each song. If we wind up working on multiple songs at once, I think it'll help in keeping discussion straight.

The above post was something I wrote about twelve hours ago and forgot to post. Found it still here in the edit box when I looked for the thread...

Anyway, here's a clarification. When I gave a list of songs I'm working on just above, that's not a declaration of "here's what we're doing". I'm just shaking off the rust with songs that I think would be fun to do.

Here's the list of all ideas in the thread so far:
Phantom Of The Opera (LC's idea so he must sing it :p)
2 Minutes To Midnight
Sign Of The Cross
The Clansman
The Wicker Man (Mr. K wants to do the solo, at least)
When The Wild Wind Blows

@Mosh, @MrKnickerbocker, @Saapanael, @Zare, @Lego appears to be the lineup right now. Give up some ideas, fellas!
@Forostar: not forgetting you above, we'll run another poll for your drum songs when you're set up to go.
@Yax: any input on song selection from the producer?

If I had to pick two songs to do there, it'd be 2 Min and Clansman. Other choices are all fine with me.

I'm looking into buying a new interface soon so maybe by the time we get to the next song I'll have a cleaner line in signal. :D

The above post was something I wrote about twelve hours ago and forgot to post. Found it still here in the edit box when I looked for the thread...

Anyway, here's a clarification. When I gave a list of songs I'm working on just above, that's not a declaration of "here's what we're doing". I'm just shaking off the rust with songs that I think would be fun to do.

Here's the list of all ideas in the thread so far:
Phantom Of The Opera (LC's idea so he must sing it :p)
2 Minutes To Midnight
Sign Of The Cross
The Clansman
The Wicker Man (Mr. K wants to do the solo, at least)
When The Wild Wind Blows

@Mosh, @MrKnickerbocker, @Saapanael, @Zare, @Lego appears to be the lineup right now. Give up some ideas, fellas!
@Forostar: not forgetting you above, we'll run another poll for your drum songs when you're set up to go.
@Yax: any input on song selection from the producer?

I am game for any of those tunes! Sign of the Cross, and Wicker Man are probably my top 2 at the moment.

I could track the drums first, and then send my raw drum tracks to whomever else is playing.

Here's another idea... this may be a bit monumental, but would anyone like to have a crack at Paschendale with me?! :D

Back