For the Greater Good of God

How good is For the Greater Good of God on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Chartwell said:
Agree here. Has the same kind of driving guitar pyrotechnics as Dance of Death that makes me find it irresistible. But the repetition wears after a while. Almost sounds like a BNW track.

Hey, don't talk shit about BNW.

Dityn DJ James said:
Hey, don't talk shit about BNW.

Hahaha, it's kind of what I do around here. I just think that the repetitive chorus and overall tone of the song is more suited to BNW than to the rest of AMOLAD. Perhaps not as repetitive as songs such as Dream of Mirros (which I love, btw), but still one that I think would fit in well on BNW.

This is a solid 10. For me, it is a perfect song that has me in trance every time I play it. The repetition is never something that has bothered me, in fact - I've never thought about it as repetitive. The "Please tell me now what life is"-parts sends shivers down my spine every time. The guitar melody, the expression in the vocals and in the words - it's just such a fantastic part and an incredible piece of music as a whole. A song that express a frustration about wars and people killing each others over religious beliefs that goes on and on and on, and never stops. Not much too say about the meaning in the lyrics really, but the way he puts the words and how Bruce sings them is everything.

"And as they search to find the bodies in the sand
They find its ashes that are scattered across the land
And as their spirits seem to whistle on the wind
A shot is fired somewhere, another war begins"

This is one of my favourites pieces of lyrics of all time. And do I dare? Yes, I do. For The Greater Good of God is the best song Harris has written by himself.

Who the hell complains about a Maiden song being too long?
Hello? Have you never heard of Iron Maiden before?

10/10. This song may very well be Maiden's purpose for regrouping.

It is the Hallowed Be Thy Name of the new millennium.

Lyrics are some of the best I have ever seen from Maiden and this is my favorite along with The Pilgrim on this album.

All the sections,melodies,solos and singing are just great.I think it suffers from the usual post fear of the dark problems.Too much repetition.I actually did spend some time and did a song edit.IMO cutting out 2 minutes or so makes it so much better.Nicko is only doing his tricks in the mid section.I'll give it a 7.

Another really great track. While the last track was more subtle and harder to appreciate in the beginning, this was easier to instantly like.

The first 43 seconds are quite dark and haunting, but then the song suddenly lightens up and the first verse is beautiful. Without warning the heaviness kicks in. The lyrics is easier here to comprehend then on several other tracks on the record. The pre chorus is okay but it's the chorus that takes the spotlight. The chorus has a great hook and just clicks direct with me. The instrumental section that follows is well done and have some great harmonies and solos, but seems very safe and very Maiden.

A great track, and continues the streak of great songs on the record. The problem with the track is that it feels to safe sometimes; the chord pattern is to familiar and the instrumental section follows the too formulaic.

8/10

All the sections,melodies,solos and singing are just great.I think it suffers from the usual post fear of the dark problems.Too much repetition.I actually did spend some time and did a song edit.IMO cutting out 2 minutes or so makes it so much better.Nicko is only doing his tricks in the mid section.I'll give it a 7.

I agree but I think that this is their last song that I wuold apply this. Before cutting out from FTGGOG, i would personally intervene on "The longest Day", "Lord of Light" and "The Legacy". Without mentioning the whole "The Final Frontier" album.

Reactions: Gk1
The first peak of the perfect album. The lyrics, the riffs, the structure... I fell in love with it in 2006 and I never fell out of it. It's also very specific and quite unique for Maiden. 10/10

EDIT: Also, one of the examples of repetitiveness done absolutely right, IMHO.

Last edited:
Likely the most controversial song on this album, some love it and some seem to really dislike it. It seems to get the most flak for being repetitive, which is understandable, but I think the repetitions work here. Definitely better than on The Longest Day or other songs that commonly get this criticism (No More Lies/TAATG/etc). It works here because there's build up with the repetitions. They're not just repeating a chorus over and over again, they're building tension and creating drama. This is Maiden's most cinematic album and a lot of cinematic music relies on repetition to create an atmosphere, which this song does. This lyric:
Please tell me now what life is
Please tell me now what love is
Well tell me now what war is
Again tell me what life is
Is one of my favorites, maybe the cleverest slab of lyrics Steve has ever given us. The melodies underneath are excellent. And then it finally builds into the actual chorus, which absolutely deserves to be repeated. This is the thematic climax of the entire album, all summed up in a single line. I'm not usually a lyrics guy, but the lyrics and music go together so beautifully that I have to pay attention to them. And then after that chorus we are treated to the greatest instrumental section on this album. So much drama and intensity that doesn't let up for a single moment. The guitar solos aren't just moments for the players to show off, each brings its own mood to enhance the song. Then that finally melody that builds to a repeat of the pre chorus. Absolute perfection.

Perhaps the most powerful song Steve has ever written.
9. If it wasn't so repetitive it would get a 10.
Screw you, 14 year old Mosh. 10

Following yesterday's Powerslave...

Lol. Not a very inspired cover... Sounds completely sterile to me.

Playing Legacy of the Beast has really changed my opinion of some songs. This is one of them, going to give it an 8.

Some people will tell you that repetition ruined this song. Those people are wrong.

This is a masterpiece, designed to batter into your mind over and over the hypocrisy of those who use the concept "The greater good" and the even greater hypocrisy of mingling it with "for god". Dark and demonic and slow that builds into a mighty crescendo. Perhaps not a classic, but a great. 10/10 would repeat the chorus again.

Steve has tapped upon the subject of false prophets before but this is where he absolutely nails it with a magnificent bit if poetry and songwriting. The aggression of the guitars and Bruce's vocal delivery builds superbly to that magnificent first chorus. You really get a sense of the madness of fanatacism in the pleading of the 'Please tell me' section. Blinding fast solos too.

Back